An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Has The Prices Of Gas Impacted Your Life, If Any?

"Kyrie eleison"

"Kyrie eleison"

Bush to Congress: Embrace energy exploration now

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080618/ap_on_go_pr_wh/offshore_oil"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080618/ap_on_...wh/offshore_oil[/url]

"Kyrie eleison"

My husband has to travel 30 miles to work and gas prices are now at 4.50 where we live. He now drives an older 3rd car to take the tram to work.

I now drive his car as it is less of a gas guzzler and my SUV now sits in the garage most of the time. Alot of his co-workers wish they could take the tram but it is not an option for everyone.

Just to add on if anyone would like to comment on this also, do you believe that all that is transpiring around the world are birth pangs of the tribulation?

Edited by "Kyrie eleison"

I like 35 miles away from work. I drive my car to the bus station (4 miles from my house) and take the bus to and fro everyday. It's a long commute, but my wallet thanks me for it in the end :)

"Kyrie eleison"

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1575049' date='Jun 18 2008, 01:04 PM']I like 35 miles away from work. I drive my car to the bus station (4 miles from my house) and take the bus to and fro everyday. It's a long commute, but my wallet thanks me for it in the end :)[/quote]

Yes, I know what you mean. At first my husband used to complain as he has to get up 45 minutes earlier and he gets home 45 minutes later but the savings does make up for it and he has commented that he likes just relaxing on the ride up to work and back. He is more disciplined as he now has to prepare everything the night before as he knows that he has to be at the tram station on time to catch the 6:15 departure to his destination.

The other day he took a picture of all the SUV's and hummers in the parking lot at the tram station and we both laughed. It costs us almost 100 dollars to fill up my SUV, which lasts about 7 days more or less depending on how much we drive it.

HisChildForever

It's tough. Now that I have a nice part-time job I can contribute without my parents having to worry. However, now that my younger brother has his license, he's constantly borrowing my car (as well as my older brother's car) and as much as I don't want to see him spending his birthday money on gas, if he wants to use my car for long trips he has to contribute, because I (of course) need gas to get to work, and it's so expensive.

I commute to school so that's even more gas gone. I prolly won't let my brother us my car as often as he is now when fall comes around.

Deus te Amat

I live 20-30 minutes from the nearest Catholic church, and with gas prices, I'm not able to make it to daily Mass hardly at all. It just isnt a feasible trip into town, especially if I have an event going on that night. I miss daily Mass. :sadder:

I live about a mile from where I work, though, which enables me to bike or drive easily.

The gas prices mean that I'm home bound more than I would like to be. Way more than I'd like to be.

"Kyrie eleison"

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1575054' date='Jun 18 2008, 01:21 PM']It's tough. Now that I have a nice part-time job I can contribute without my parents having to worry. However, now that my younger brother has his license, he's constantly borrowing my car (as well as my older brother's car) and as much as I don't want to see him spending his birthday money on gas, if he wants to use my car for long trips he has to contribute, because I (of course) need gas to get to work, and it's so expensive.

I commute to school so that's even more gas gone. I prolly won't let my brother us my car as often as he is now when fall comes around.[/quote]

If it is tough for those of us middle-class, I can only imagine those who are making minimum wage. They are just working to pay for gas to get to work. Many are turning to food banks. My son wants to take his drivers ed classes this summer and I am dreading when he starts driving, if gas prices continue to rise.

The spiral effect of gas prices will only continue to make things worse for the economy and for the middle-class and even more for those making minimum wage, even if the ban is lifted to explore for oil on US shores.

There is a community not to far from where I live which is upper middle-class and they don't seem to be affected by any of this. They still drive their SUV's, the restuarants and department stores are still packed.

Archaeology cat

I don't have a car, and for once I'm not that upset about it. It can be a pain to rely on the bus & train sometimes, but it works. If I really want to, and the weather's cooperating, I can walk most places, as I only live 2 miles from the city centre, and 2 miles from campus. I'm a little under a mile away from my parish, so I walk there.

[quote name='"Kyrie eleison' post='1575048' date='Jun 18 2008, 05:57 PM']Just to add on if anyone would like to comment on this also, do you believe that all that is transpiring around the world are birth pangs of the tribulation?[/quote]
I think we've been in the tribulation since the beginning of the Church. In every generation there's been something that they've pointed to and said it was a sign of the coming tribulation, as well. Just my personal opinion, though.

Edited by Archaeology cat

"Kyrie eleison"

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1575078' date='Jun 18 2008, 01:48 PM']I don't have a car, and for once I'm not that upset about it. It can be a pain to rely on the bus & train sometimes, but it works. If I really want to, and the weather's cooperating, I can walk most places, as I only live 2 miles from the city centre, and 2 miles from campus. I'm a little under a mile away from my parish, so I walk there.
I think we've been in the tribulation since the beginning of the Church. In every generation there's been something that they've pointed to and said it was a sign of the coming tribulation, as well. Just my personal opinion, though.[/quote]

You know Cat, I kinda like that we are going back to simplier times. In many ways you are fortunate not to rely on a car. To top it off it is much more healthy to walk. My husband is looking for a job that is closer and he is hoping that a company that is half a mile away will hire him. He will ride his bike there.

I am teaching my kids to save and that cooking is a good thing. We can't go out and eat as often as we would like and do the things that we used to go out and pay for.

As for the tribulation, you are correct but I wonder if it will get to the point where there will be more and more hungry and frustrated people who will get violent when it gets to the point they who cannot afford food or pay for rent.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='"Kyrie eleison' post='1575086' date='Jun 18 2008, 06:59 PM']You know Cat, I kinda like that we are going back to simplier times. In many ways you are fortunate not to rely on a car. To top it off it is much more healthy to walk. My husband is looking for a job that is closer and he is hoping that a company that is half a mile away will hire him. He will ride his bike there.

I am teaching my kids to save and that cooking is a good thing. We can't go out and eat as often as we would like and do the things that we used to go out and pay for.[/quote]
I actually don't like to go out to eat, because we did that so much when I was growing up (my mom doesn't like to cook). The only times I care about having a car are if we need to get some larger things when we're out. We have friends who have offered to drive us, but I hate (don't hate, appreciate) asking. We took taxis to the hospital when I was in labour, and it worked out fine (plus we didn't have to worry about parking).

[quote name='"Kyrie eleison' post='1575086' date='Jun 18 2008, 06:59 PM']As for the tribulation, you are correct but I wonder if it will get to the point where there will be more and more hungry and frustrated people who will get violent when it gets to the point they who cannot afford food or pay for rent.[/quote]
I don't guess I'd be surprised.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote]WASHINGTON - With gasoline topping $4 a gallon, President Bush urged Congress on Wednesday to lift its long-standing ban on offshore oil and gas drilling, saying the United States needs to increase its energy production.[/quote]

:clap:

i am so glad i'm not living in a big city anymore.

"Kyrie eleison"

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1575094' date='Jun 18 2008, 02:04 PM']:clap:

i am so glad i'm not living in a big city anymore.[/quote]

Fides,

The more I read responses I have to wonder if this is why this crisis is happening. Are we destined to go back to simplier times where we raise are own food and learn to become dependent on our own abilities? How much are the gas prices in your area?

Our monthly bus passes went up a $1. The buses are twice as crowded now. Our friends who drive, come to visit less often. I've been without a car for 2 1/2 years now, and only missed it when I was on crutches this winter and trapped in the house by icy sidewalks and an overprotective husband. We have a friend who takes us to the large grocery store, and we have tried to get twice as much to make only one trip a month. We live next door to a Safeway, but it is more expensive. Everytime we talk about getting a car, and start the cost/benefit on it, we realize that just the monthly insurance (which is going up 37% in this province this year) would pay for me to take a taxi to the store once a week (twice if I took the bus to the store and only used the taxi on the ride home).

We are blessed to live two blocks from the subway, and a block from 3 major and 1 minor bus route, and two blocks from church. Transit is far from perfect here, but at least it is in place. Where I've lived in the US, that wasn't the case. I saw a documentary a couple of weeks ago on suburbs, and they were predicting that suburbs are going to be the ghost towns of the future. They had a survey on the news the day before yesterday that the increase in gas prices were going to lead 37% of people to walk more to work, but only 9% would either move or find a job closer to their home. I think that is going to change if gas reaches $10/gallon.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='"Kyrie eleison' post='1575102' date='Jun 18 2008, 01:12 PM']Fides,

The more I read responses I have to wonder if this is why this crisis is happening. Are we destined to go back to simplier times where we raise are own food and learn to become dependent on our own abilities? How much are the gas prices in your area?[/quote]

During the week, $3.85/gallon, but keep in mind we have 85 octane here.

Do you mean you are wondering about the crisis being due to long commutes and such? Just trying to understand you. :)

dairygirl4u2c

it really depends on a lot.

there's so much stuff, with offshore drilling etc.... that most of it should be drilled.

a significant amount, like a year's worth, should not be drilled. not bc of enviro concerns but bc of the idea that..... a gallon of gas when gas is worth 10 dollars, which it will eventually or at least approach that ie be worse than now.... is much more valuable than a gallon when gas is only 5 dollars.
eg. a ten tank at ten is 100, but at four is 40. five gallons off is a savings of fifty dollars instead of twenty.

we're going to get worse than we are now, that's why we save.

we should only drill that final bit, when times are super bad, or we see that a new technology has better infiltrated society. at that point... it's going to take time to finalize infiltration, and then we're going to be hurting in the mean time. pretty much the situation we are in now... except there are no longer any other places to drill.

i'd say, just save ANWR for that final moment but drill everything else. doens't have to be ANWR though, whatever is saved as long as somehting is for later.

there's no techincolgies that are too prevanlent right now. and there won't be until we hurt more, and then it will take time. that's why we dont go all for it right now.

we don't count on thigs like coal, and electicity etc.... at least at this point... bc it's not infiltrated society enotugh. we only look at teh fact taht so much is out there to drill right now.

also... things like correl reefs... i mean if there's ways to get to the oil without hurint it.. then by all means take it. if htere's no way to get it without hurting... then we have to weight the costs, ie, correls are good for medicine etc i think like rain forests.... and thei nherent value of them.... and then balance that with things like that idea that we're going to have to switch eventually to somehting else, and maybe we shouldn't be getting rid of good things for the sake of short term finanical gains, shortsighedtly.
it depends on the numbers.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c