An Old School Catholic Message Board

Atheism

peach_cube

lilac_angel

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1582540' date='Jun 24 2008, 11:40 PM']Losing faith seems to be a vicious circle, while having a strong faith is the opposite.
It just takes that extra push, something that means something to you, to give you that chance to see faith.[/quote]

Sometimes it takes being humbled, too. Completely humbled by life. Sometimes it's only when all of our worldly crutches are stolen from under our arms do we realize how useless they really were to begin with. Even if we get those worldly crutches back, their glamor is lost when we have faith.

Edited by lilac_angel

I wasn't saying that I agree with that argument, and actually I have a very good counter-argument, but I saw it going there...

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Alycin' post='1582553' date='Jun 24 2008, 11:54 PM']I wasn't saying that I agree with that argument, and actually I have a very good counter-argument, but I saw it going there...[/quote]
What's your counter to it? I like mine. :)

lilac_angel

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1582467' date='Jun 24 2008, 10:54 PM']What it often comes down to is theists accepting evidence and atheists denying it. In the case of most of our validated miracles, we have scientific evidence to support that our claims have some merit (like real blood and flesh taking the physical place of the bread and wine) and you have flimsy, if any reason to refute this. (Spontaneous rearrangement of atomic structure, maybe? Other than that you just can't explain how that would happen.)
The sun dancing in the sky... 70000 people saw this. 70000 eyewitnesses would swear before whatever you like that the water in the ground was dried by the sun, am I correct? Not to mention this happened exactly when it was predicted it would. You explain it as a massive optical illusion.
Look at this purely objectively. While seems more legitimate?[/quote]

Well said...