An Old School Catholic Message Board

Atheism

peach_cube

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1577925' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:35 PM']almost every thread? You're exaggerating a bit...it wasn't more than 10 posts.

Plus, you all provide free entertainment....maybe I should go download some public domain audio books...you're mean to me.[/quote]

I don't mind you being around at all, please continue.

Galloglasses

BTW, Peach Cube, there are different kinds of Athiests, it has amazing parralels with protestantism, most Athiest can't agree on the term Athiest itself.

MissScripture

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1576909' date='Jun 19 2008, 10:36 PM']this place is a nightmare
Goodnight

and
Good bye[/quote]

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1577925' date='Jun 20 2008, 07:35 PM']almost every thread? You're exaggerating a bit...it wasn't more than 10 posts.

Plus, you all provide free entertainment....maybe I should go download some public domain audio books...you're mean to me.[/quote]

:blink: :unsure:

MissScripture

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1577953' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:04 PM']BTW, Peach Cube, there are different kinds of Athiests, it has amazing parralels with protestantism, most Athiest can't agree on the term Athiest itself.[/quote]
But the point of what he's saying is that if there is no God then the rest would logically follow, that there is no "right" and "wrong" and that people have no inherent value, and are only worth what they can contribute to humanity.

Galloglasses

I also agree with that, I stated as much in my post I made before Peach Cube, if there was no God, there'd be no Objective force to decide on whats right or wrong and everything would be relative.

MissScripture

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1577972' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:17 PM']I also agree with that, I stated as much in my post I made before Peach Cube, if there was no God, there'd be no Objective force to decide on whats right or wrong and everything would be relative.[/quote]
So, what you're saying is a lot of Atheists aren't "really" atheist? Or what...? I'm kind of confused how they can't agree on that stuff...

Galloglasses

Oh, you'd be surprised, I'd link to uncyclopedia Dramatica which makes a straight forward, yet sarcastic remark about this particular subject. (That is, of course, if it wasn't for the 600+ pages of blasphemy on it)

MissScripture

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1577978' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:21 PM']Oh, you'd be surprised, I'd link to uncyclopedia Dramatica which makes a straight forward, yet sarcastic remark about this particular subject. (That is, of course, if it wasn't for the 600+ pages of blasphemy on it)[/quote]
:blink: Umm...wow. I thought one of the frequently used arguments was that it was more logical...

Galloglasses

I'm trying not to laugh. That's one reason, but even that is contested among Athiests, some do it because they veiw Religion as inherently evil. (I've met such Athiests who claim they've studied the Bible and found it to be the foundation of all evil in the world, no joke), you also got punk athiests who see religion as utter bull and don't want to bother with it, (yet these ones are also the most likely to rail against those who are openly Religious, i have a friend who is exactly this kind of Athiest) You got Soft athiests, who used to be any kind of athiest, but is just mellow and comfortable in his non-beleif and just doesn't think about it much, and you got the medium Athiest, who's basically the same as the soft Athiest only he's more likely to get involved in a Religious Debate if someone else starts. Then you got the Hard Athiests, the ones who claim it is logical, the evangelists of the Athiest Religion and Dogma. (the ones Peach described), These usually criticise the other types of Athiests for being too lenient on Religion. You got Agnostics, those who don't want to be put into any box, ( My brother, unfortuneately, fits into this description), I refer to such athiests as simply, Irreligious. They mostly the same, but they cannot agree with their definition, hence its parralels to Protestantism.

You also have the New Athiests, the Richard Dawkins Variety.

Edited by Galloglasses

MissScripture

Well, I was too busy with school to try to argue with my brother but most of what I took away from his "I am atheist" e-mail was that it just made more sense...

Galloglasses

Fair enough. I wasn't debating either, I was just explaining why some Athiests have problems with the definition itself.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1577919' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:24 PM']I'm still new at being athiest...its only been just over a week now. If catholics don't think its appropriate for an athiest to be on here, just say and I'll leave.[/quote]

Why do you keep talking about atheism as if it's a religion?

MissScripture

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1577993' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:34 PM']Fair enough. I wasn't debating either, I was just explaining why some Athiests have problems with the definition itself.[/quote]
I didn't think you were. You snuck that edit in while I was posting. :P

lilac_angel

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1577925' date='Jun 20 2008, 07:35 PM']almost every thread? You're exaggerating a bit...it wasn't more than 10 posts.

Books always helped support my faith...saints lives, etc, were quite inspiring, for example. Maybe there is something to that thought... not trying to be mean or anything, just saying. =)