An Old School Catholic Message Board

Atheism

peach_cube

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1577723' date='Jun 20 2008, 04:39 PM']Don't try to convert me. I've made my decision[/quote]

If you're going to be an atheist go all out and know what it truly means to be an atheist, not one of these new age Dawkins atheists.

If you can live with there being no right and wrong, then you can be an atheist. If you will still subjectively judge what is right and wrong, then you are a new age atheist. From what I've seen you are a new age atheist. Which is to say, following flawed logic. Nietzsche would laugh at Dawkins and the like. At least he followed atheism to its logical end.

If you are going to risk so much on this decision, you should probably make it an informed one.

P.S. You might want to spell check your current religion...

Edited by peach_cube

Autumn Dusk

There's a stretch from there is no God to "there is no morals" people need some sort of order...if that order includes believing in a God, so be it.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1577884' date='Jun 20 2008, 06:29 PM']There's a stretch from there is no God to "there is no morals" people need some sort of order...if that order includes believing in a God, so be it.[/quote]

Yes, but those morals would be subjective, and relative. Not meaning much of anything so long as you can convince enough people that something immoral like cannibalism is just one animal eating another animal. And without God, who can say that's wrong? And if some did so what, the cannibals could just eat that guy.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Galloglasses

Actually its not much of a stretch, if there is no God, then there is nothing objective to define morals. When man does it, it becomes relative and not morality at all.

EDIT: Dang it, KoC got in before me.

Edited by Galloglasses

KnightofChrist

Atheism is a lonely place to live, which is why you probably draw yourself to the People of God who are joyful because of that.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1577906' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:04 PM']err umm....I was trying to be catholic so I hung around catholics.[/quote]

Out of a sincere curiosity... what is your reason for staying now?

Galloglasses

She said it was amusement before.

But then before she became Athiest she said she was here to find amusement out of us.

Edited by Galloglasses

HisChildForever

[quote name='Alycin' post='1577908' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:08 PM']Out of a sincere curiosity... what is your reason for staying now?[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.

Autumn Dusk

I'm still new at being athiest...its only been just over a week now. If catholics don't think its appropriate for an athiest to be on here, just say and I'll leave.

Galloglasses

Thats not it, at all. Its that its odd that you've made sarcastic remarks in every thread mentioning God, (almost every thread), and it seems odd that you'd hang out here if what we posts seems to tick you off.

Autumn Dusk

almost every thread? You're exaggerating a bit...it wasn't more than 10 posts.

Plus, you all provide free entertainment....maybe I should go download some public domain audio books...you're mean to me.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1577884' date='Jun 20 2008, 07:29 PM']There's a stretch from there is no God to "there is no morals" people need some sort of order...if that order includes believing in a God, so be it.[/quote]

Since you are new to the whole atheism thing I will break your new found belief system down for you:

There is no God.

Humans are the result of evolution and the principles identified by Darwin.

In nature we do not describe the behaviors of animals as either good or bad. They are described as being helpful, detrimental, or neutral in the light of evolution.

Therefore, since humans are another type of animal brought forth only by evolution a humans behaviors cannot be judged good or bad.

As atheists in the past have argued based off of this logic you can deem those humans who are detrimental to the gene pool as "disposable." As they will surely not help bring about any further evolution.

Also, you should probably spell atheist correctly.