An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Marry Someone Who Isn't A Virgin?

rachael

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1571971' date='Jun 15 2008, 03:35 PM']I suppose you're implying here that virgins are just better than non-virgins. That we should see non-virgins as lesser.[/quote]

Well, the virgins did the work; the non-virgins did not. Do the math.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1571971' date='Jun 15 2008, 03:35 PM']Just because two people are virgins doesn't make them compatible for marriage. Virgin A could be a practicing Catholic, and Virgin B thinks nothing of religion and hasn't had the opportunity to have premarital sex, and would if he/she had the chance. Would you call that compatible?[/quote]

I never said that virginity was the [i]only[/i] factor in compatibility. But make no mistake, it is a factor.

I think at this point we need to step back from posting for a while (say an hour or so). I need to see whom I'm debating, because I have a feeling that most people have a different background and experience load and have a different perspective.

[quote](HisChildForever @ Jun 15 2008, 03:35 PM)
I suppose you're implying here that virgins are just better than non-virgins. That we should see non-virgins as lesser.[/quote]

Only when it comes to olive oil.

Okay, one last post.

Norseman, I really hope that you don't miss out on a great woman that God may have in store for you because you think you know that you can't possibly be compatible with someone who may have made a mistake in the past.

What if all women who never masturbated decided they would only marry male counterparts who had managed to do the same? I mean, sure, that's someone's choice, but I think that what they would be doing (and what you are doing) is really putting a limit on a wonderful relationship that God may have in store for you. Now, he may have a virgin in store for you--who knows?--but he may not. And I think you might end up being surprised.

As for this whole "I'm a virgin so a non-virgin doesn't deserve me" thing... I honestly think that's a pride issue that you might want to think about.

I seriously doubt that all the virgins that Jason didn't marry (because he didn't fall in love with them and because God had someone else in store for him, maybe?) are not sitting around moping and saying "poor me! I deserved him more than she did, I'm a virgin!!!"... and if they are... then they have serious issues, IMHO.

Okay.

I'm out for real this time. :)

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1571988' date='Jun 15 2008, 03:44 PM']Well, the virgins did the work; the non-virgins did not. Do the math.[/quote]
I think Our Lord's parable about the vineyard is relevant to this discussion:

[quote]And when evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his steward, "Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last, up to the first." And when those hired about the eleventh hour came, each of them received a denarius.

Now when the first came, they thought they would receive more; but each of them also received a denarius. And on receiving it they grumbled at the householder, saying, "These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat."

But he replied to one of them, "Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what belongs to you, and go; I choose to give to this last as I give to you. Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?"

So the last will be first, and the first last.

--Matthew 20:8-16[/quote]