An Old School Catholic Message Board

Great Commission Proves Catholicism

thessalonian

thessalonian

Christ said go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Catholicism lead the way, establishing Christianity on all continents. It fullfulled Christ's command in Matt 28. Protestantism came in later and prosletized what Catholicism had already conquered.

dairygirl4u2c

if you mean it proves it in the sense that it's irrefutably clear... like A is B and B is C so A is C.... then i would disagree.

if you mean, as an emotional appeal, such that it makes you feel better saying it's been proven, then sure whatever makes you feel good.

if you mean proven, as pretty strong evidence.... then the great commission itself might not alone do that, but taken as a whole, i wouldn't disagree with that conclusion.

thessalonian

#3 with a bit of #1.
Not #2

The point is that if we expect that Christ gave a command, expecting it to be carried out by HIS CHURCH and the CC was the one that went forth and introduced Christianity to all the countries of the world first, converting many people's tribes, and tounges, that to me is very strong evidence that the CC is Christ's Church. Catholicism as I understand it is active in every country in the world.

Edited by thessalonian

When I worked at the Conference of Churches, we had a book on the shelf that listed all the denominations in the US. It listed the date the church was founded, and by whom. Under the Catholic Church it just said "Jesus Christ, 33AD."

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1569920' date='Jun 12 2008, 05:44 PM']When I worked at the Conference of Churches, we had a book on the shelf that listed all the denominations in the US. It listed the date the church was founded, and by whom. Under the Catholic Church it just said "Jesus Christ, 33AD."[/quote]

That's fantastic! I want a poster on my wall of that...from newest to oldest....with Catholic Church at the top!

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1569920' date='Jun 12 2008, 05:44 PM']When I worked at the Conference of Churches, we had a book on the shelf that listed all the denominations in the US. It listed the date the church was founded, and by whom. Under the Catholic Church it just said "Jesus Christ, 33AD."[/quote]

It was probably "Handbook of Denominations in the United States" by Frank Spencer Mead, Samuel S. Hill, and Craig D. Atwood (at least I have that book and that's how it's listed). What's nice about that description in the book is it's a non-Catholic (I think even secular) source.

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1569941' date='Jun 12 2008, 06:12 PM']That's fantastic! I want a poster on my wall of that...from newest to oldest....with Catholic Church at the top![/quote]

You could make a poster out of this: [url="http://www.allcath.org/Founders.htm"]http://www.allcath.org/Founders.htm[/url]

I'm not sure I understand. What Great Commission decided the Church was correct? I agree of course, but I don't understand where you're coming from.

Maybe I'm just stupid? :(

KnightofChrist

You're not supid you just know it a different way...

The resurrection of Christ. His commission to his disciples.

Matt 28:18-20

18 And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. 19 Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.

[color="#8B0000"]18 "All power"... See here the warrant and commission of the apostles and their successors, the bishops and pastors of Christ's church. He received from his Father all power in heaven and in earth: and in virtue of this power, he sends them (even as his Father sent him, St. John 20. 21) to teach and disciple, not one, but all nations; and instruct them in all truths: and that he may assist them effectually in the execution of this commission, he promises to be with them, not for three or four hundred years only, but all days, even to the consummation of the world. How then could the Catholic Church ever go astray; having always with her pastors, as is here promised, Christ himself, who is the way, the truth, and the life. St. John 14.
[/color]

Edited by KnightofChrist

Therefore, Roman Catholic Church is the [post="1295060"]One True Church [/post]of Christ and of God. If this is true then all other churches or Christian denominations and religions are dead since they are not from God but from teaching of man. Nevertheless, I will include this great commission as a proof of Catholic’s pride and reason in accepting her as the [post="1295060"]One True Church [/post]for our future discussion.

Madtown Sem.

This was a big argument that St. Francis de Sales used to reconvert thousands in France back to Catholicism. If the mission given to the Church had become corrupted, the reformers had no authority to begin a new mission, and if the mission hadn't been corrupted, why did they leave?

"Kyrie eleison"

[quote name='reyb' post='1571629' date='Jun 15 2008, 03:11 AM']Therefore, Roman Catholic Church is the [post="1295060"]One True Church [/post]of Christ and of God. If this is true then all other churches or Christian denominations and religions are dead since they are not from God but from teaching of man. Nevertheless, I will include this great commission as a proof of Catholic’s pride and reason in accepting her as the [post="1295060"]One True Church [/post]for our future discussion.[/quote]

I wouldn't go as far to say that all other churches are dead. The holy spirit is still working on people and churches even if their church teachings are not from the Church which Jesus built.

Besides, there is so much more than the Great Commissiom which supports and proves that the Catholic Church was ordained by Jesus Christ which the gates of hell will never prevail against it.