An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should The Term “illegitimate” Be Retired?

apparent

[quote name='Veridicus' date='13 June 2008 - 09:53 AM' timestamp='1213361627' post='1570413']
...point? Beyond simply stating the now general normalcy of an abherrent child-rearing situation?
[/quote]

Fertility Clinic Mistake Ends Up Good
TOLEDO, Ohio — An Ohio woman who had the wrong embryo implanted by a fertility clinic has given birth to a boy.

Mark of the Cross

My parents were married at the time of my conception but later on in life separated (informally divorced?) Some would say that this would make them guilty of adultery and it follows that I would be made illegitimate. I don't think this has made a scrap of difference to my relationship with Jesus. Is it really important to put a tag on a non entity?

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='27 September 2009 - 02:50 AM' timestamp='1254034210' post='1973274']
My parents were married at the time of my conception but later on in life separated (informally divorced?) Some would say that this would make them guilty of adultery and it follows that I would be made illegitimate. I don't think this has made a scrap of difference to my relationship with Jesus. Is it really important to put a tag on a non entity?
[/quote]
I don't think your status can change one way or the other. Legitimacy is determined at the time of birth.

The idea of legitimacy is falling from use in large part because of changes in how we determine inheritance. In a monarchical system legitimacy would come into play because of succession -- one couldn't assume the throne unless one was legitimate (and, typically, male).

In previous inheritance systems, properties were granted through the line of succession, typically to the oldest son in a family. I'm sure this sort of system is still in place in some countries (perhaps still part of some properties in the UK, for example) but not in any U.S. state as far as I'm aware. Laws have gradually changed (through statute) to allow for inheritance to extend to any child by blood, regardless of the marital state of the parents, so the concept of legitimacy no longer carries the legal weight it once did. Concurrently, we have seen a disintegration of the concept of family, and a growing number of children born out of wedlock. So the idea of legitimacy also carries little weight in most social situations, with the exception of folks like misereremi ( :( ).

I agree it has no bearing on one's spiritual health.