An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Did Your Vocation Start?

VeniteAdoremus

srmarymichael

[i]When did my vocation start?[/i]

Actually, when I was baptized!!! Yea!

But now that I think of it (adding on to what I wrote earlier), I began thinking about it when my mom mentioned it to me that she had been praying that one of her children would be a Sister or a priest. I began asking myself if that was what God wanted of me.... (I first discarded it at once, but God has His ways......... :>:>:>)

TeresaBenedicta

Well. I'm still discerning. But, leaning towards religious life.

Hm. Well, I remember when I was a freshman in high school saying to my friends, "I can't see myself getting married. I mean. I want to. I want to have a family and raise children. But I can't see it. I've never been able to."

This was when I was still an atheist. I didn't believe in God and I certainly had no idea what a religious sister was.

I had an experience my sophomore year that led me to conclude beyond any doubt that God truly did exist. But it wasn't until my senior year that I was baptized and received into the Church. Anywho, still, before I knew the beauty of religious life, I had been struck especially by passages in the Bible that spoke about celibacy for the Kingdom and "those who can bear it, should bear it."

But more than anything it seemed to me that [i]if[/i] God existed, then I had to take His Gospel literally. Leave everything to follow Him. To follow all of the hard teachings that Jesus taught. To truly live my life in accordance to Christ in the most radical way: [i]because[/i] God exists.

I can't explain it anymore than that. For me, if God exists, then I [i]have[/i] to respond. There is no living as a nominal Christian. Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyways, ever since my baptism just over a year ago, I have been filled with this great desire for holiness, to give myself completely and totally over to God to be transformed by His grace. Whether I have a vocation to the religious life, I'm not yet sure. I just want to do whatever God asks of me.

VeniteAdoremus

Yay! That's [i]exactly[/i] what I had! Thank you for sharing that :) (This must mean I'm not crazy after all. Or we both are, but then at least we're crazy with company :) )

cathoholic_anonymous

My vocation began because I trusted God as a little girl, aged nine or thereabouts. I have told this story before on PM and I don't have the time to retell it now - I'm on my way out. To cut it very short, my grandma (and my Very Best Friend) was so ill in hospital that my mum and I had to fly home from Saudi with just a few hours' notice. It didn't occur to me that Grandma could die. The change in my routine had bamboozled me, and all I could think about was what was happening around me at the present moment.

When we got to the hospital I found that she was going to have a big operation on her aorta and that she might not get better. I overheard the consultant telling my mum that if she did recover she would need to be in a special nursing home for the remainder of her life. Grandma only had one leg and was ill in other ways too, so independence wouldn't be possible.

I took my chocolate-and-sweets money and went to the hospital chapel and dropped the money in the collection box. As I prayed, I was flooded with the marvellous knowledge that Grandma was going to get better. A sister was there, too. She smiled at me and asked if I was praying for anybody special. I told her that it was my grandma, and that God was going to make her better. He'd just said so.

She smiled and said, "Oh, He's wonderful like that."

That night my mum tried to prepare me very gently for grandma's death. With great firmness, I kept rebutting her. I know now that my mum was worried about me - she thought that I was trying to hide from the prospect of bereavement, and that Grandma's death would be too much for me to bear.

Three weeks after the operation, Grandma was back at home and living with the independence that she'd had before the surgery. The consultant was astonished and my mum was so incredibly happy and relieved. I was happy, too. Then again, I'd known it all along.

It came to me then that the only person who had believed me when I said that Grandma would get better was the nun. I immediately resolved to become one. The fact that you couldn't really have Muslim nuns was a minor detail to my nine-year-old mind. Nuns knew how to listen to God, and other grown-ups didn't. Obviously. I would be a nun. Simple.

Since then my approach has been refined a little, but this was the beginning. ;)

I went to a vacations retreat. I didn't have a clue about what I was going to do with the rest of my life. It is sometimes great to be able to turn things over to a professional.

Saint Therese

I'm not even sure its possible, but I think mine started before i was baptised. (I'm a convert) Before I even had a concept for God I had a desire and thirst for Truth, which has now become a passion. After my baptism, I was strongly influenced by EWTN and time spent with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.

HisChildForever

I've never posted on this phorum before. :saint:

I really don't know what my vocation is right now, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to start discerning since I don't quite know what it is I'm [i]supposed[/i] to be discerning, but I do know that God is trying to tell me something. I have had three separate pulls - towards marriage, towards religious life, and towards the single life - so of course I'm confused.

This one instance does stand out in my mind, though, and I never told anyone about it. It was one summer, a couple of years ago, and one evening during prayer I felt an impression that I was being called to religious life. The very next day I was going into the city with my family (for fun, to take one of those ferry tours down the river) and I asked God that if it was my call to be a sister, to see at least one sister in the city that day. I know this is a huge sign, I was only 14 or 15 or 16 (poor memory!) when I asked for it. Needless to say, when we were waiting to purchase our tickets I saw a sister but immediately dismissed it - my humanity trying to rationalize - because hey, it's a huge city and it's not rare to see a slew of different people in the same place. We get on board the ferry, and while the adults are finding seats, my brothers and I are hanging by the rails to watch us leave. It was a small ferry so we were allowed to wander a bit. When I found my family, who was sitting in the row of seats right behind the ones my family picked? One nun (it may have been two) with an elderly priest in his wheelchair. I almost died!

Since then I have dated, but after my last relationship (which was really, really bad), I've just felt so turned off from marriage and having children of my own. I don't know if this is of God or of myself due to my experience. However, I do know that as part of my personality, I enjoy my privacy and my "me time" and I did poorly living in dorms, so I wonder if God gave me this part of my personality because He knows I can live without being married (not to say that others can't), so that suggests more single than religious life (since religious life I'd be surrounded by sisters and will have little alone time, or so I've always thought). To continue on this possible call to the single life, I am very career-centered. That is, I look forward to graduating school and starting my career over getting married and having children, which a lot of people look forward to after finishing school.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to spend this summer as a single woman and see where my prayer life leads me. I'm thinking of praying the rosary every day, because my prayer life is pretty basic and I need something new, which I think will spark some sort of direction.

@ HisChildForever - have you ever thought of [url="http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/cv/whatcv.html"]this[/url] vocation?

IrishSalesian

I think that my vocation started when I was born. However, I did not realize my vocation until my senior year of high school. My grandmother had just been diagnosed with cancer. went to the hospital to visit her. I skipped school to see her, and my mom was at the hospital when I arrived. I was busted for skipping before I knew I was busted.
My mother was talking to the chaplain there. I hadn't said a word when the priest turned to me and said, "If you don't become a priest, your mother is going to hell. Then the priest, and my mother started laughing. So I figured they must have known eachother, because, noone jokes like that.
That same night while busing tables at a local restaurant, a retired bishop came in for dinner. With out me saying anything more than ‘hello’ to him, he said "Son, I feel a strong vibe coming from you, have you ever given the priesthood a thought?" I told him that he was the second priest to say something to me that very day.
Around that time, the Vocations Director for my diocese came to my parish for a vocations talk. After he finished his talk, I wanted to know more. The mystery of it all was astounding. I set a date to visit the seminary.
The Vocations Director and I met for lunch. I visited the seminary. I began the application process for the Diocese of Providence, in Rhode Island. I had almost finished with the application process when reality set in - I come from a big family; I have 3 biological brothers (4 if you include me) and two stepsisters. If I became a diocesan priest, I would be alone in the rectory. I wanted something a little more communal.
So, I put my name in to a religious order database on the internet. Over the next couple of weeks I began getting informational packets from the Franciscans, the Benedictines, and of course the Salesians. They had all given me a form letter welcoming me to the discernment process. They all said that they would like me to come and visit their community of seminarians. The Salesian letter stood out though. It was hand written. It was a personal letter. I gave it more interest than the others because someone took the time to write it rather than just inserting my name into a blank line.
So, I visited the Community in New Jersey. I loved it. From the time that I had walked in the door I felt like I was home. The people there were very nice and welcoming. They made my visit very enjoyable. I got to partake in a retreat to high school aged persons. I also got to play soccer with the Brothers. I made another trip in February. It was just as good as the first. I decided to take the application home with me to pray about. But I filled it out that night and handed it in the next morning before I left to go back to my house.
Now it was a waiting game. They told me I would know by Easter if the Provincial would accept me or not. So on Holy Saturday, I got my acceptance phone call. It came from the Vocations Director.
The part of that phone call is the most vivid memory forever for the fact that I was visiting my grandfather. It was through him and my grandmother that I discerned I had a vocation. So it was bitter sweet to find out in front of him. He was the first one to know.

HisChildForever

[quote name='allegra' post='1572568' date='Jun 16 2008, 03:38 AM']@ HisChildForever - have you ever thought of [url="http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/cv/whatcv.html"]this[/url] vocation?[/quote]

I don't have time to look at this website now, but it looks interesting and I bookmarked it for later :D

Doesn't it make sense for a CV to eventually turn to religious life, though? Even though it wasn't her initial intention, surely she would grow so close to God that feeling the Call there would make sense...but then does that imply that her true Calling is the sisterhood and not CV? Ahhh confusion.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1572706' date='Jun 16 2008, 01:00 PM']I don't have time to look at this website now, but it looks interesting and I bookmarked it for later :D

Doesn't it make sense for a CV to eventually turn to religious life, though? Even though it wasn't her initial intention, surely she would grow so close to God that feeling the Call there would make sense...but then does that imply that her true Calling is the sisterhood and not CV? Ahhh confusion.[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure the religious life is full of--or will be full of--CVs who became religious. A vocation within a vocation. I've discussed this with CVs, and those discerning CV. Even if the religious community you enter ends up not being what you thought you were called to, you're still consecrated, and that's what matters.

The Carthusian nuns had the option of consecrated virgin even after making perpetual vows, if that tells you anything.

If anyone objects to what I'm saying, please start a new thread, and let's not hijack this one.

Blessings,
Gemma

RosaMystica

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1572706' date='Jun 16 2008, 01:00 PM']I don't have time to look at this website now, but it looks interesting and I bookmarked it for later :D

Doesn't it make sense for a CV to eventually turn to religious life, though? Even though it wasn't her initial intention, surely she would grow so close to God that feeling the Call there would make sense...but then does that imply that her true Calling is the sisterhood and not CV? Ahhh confusion.[/quote]

I have a friend who is a CV and lives in Dallas and she lives as a CV much differently from other CVs I've met in the way that she wears all white and a colored sash that corresponds with the time of liturgical year . Consecrated virginity dates back even before the formation of monasteries. It's a vocation within itself apart from the sisterhood in that it's like living single in the world yet you are consecrated while as a religious you are living apart from the world. A CV has her own profession ceremony or a wedding I guess you could also say and makes the vow of chastity. A CV is also is obedient to the Bishop of her diocese, but she doesn't make a vow of poverty because she has to support herself because she lives in the world and not in a religious community. My friend also has a little chapel in her house and so like other religious, she lives with her Spouse. I've read that as a CV a woman is the image of Christ's Bride to the world. At the same time I've felt like religious could be called that as well but I think it goes back to the notion of living within the world vs. living apart from the world.

Edited by RosaMystica

Deus te Amat

[quote name='MandyKhatoon' post='1573651' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:24 AM']I have a friend who is a CV and lives in Dallas and she lives as a CV much differently from other CVs I've met in the way that she wears all white and a colored sash that corresponds with the time of liturgical year . Consecrated virginity dates back even before the formation of monasteries. It's a vocation within itself apart from the sisterhood in that it's like living single in the world yet you are consecrated while as a religious you are living apart from the world. A CV has her own profession ceremony or a wedding I guess you could also say and makes the vow of chastity. A CV is also is obedient to the Bishop of her diocese, but she doesn't make a vow of poverty because she has to support herself because she lives in the world and not in a religious community. My friend also has a little chapel in her house and so like other religious, she lives with her Spouse. I've read that as a CV a woman is the image of Christ's Bride to the world. At the same time I've felt like religious could be called that as well but I think it goes back to the notion of living within the world vs. living apart from the world.[/quote]

I know the person you're speaking of. I love her name... She's a very sweet and holy woman.

There is actually an organization of consecrated virgins... The Consecrated women of Regnum Christi. (They are the female counterpart to the Legionaries of Christ).