An Old School Catholic Message Board

Actors/actresses Cussing In Film/television

Paladin D

[quote name='Winchester' post='1567563' date='Jun 10 2008, 10:43 PM']There are lots of supposed cuss words that aren't really that bad. We should divert into really ironing out the differences before continuing with the original idea.[/quote]

True, but then this thread would degenerate into what constitutes a cuss word, and whether or not those cuss words are truely sinful. Society determines which words are cuss words, but that standard changes with each century and with each culture. In western civilization, a certain word may not be deemed offensive, but in another culture it may be. Does this mean we are sinning only if we live in certain cultures? Or point in history? I believe the intent of the user is what counts, and the context it's used in which should determine if it's sinful or not. I've witnessed some of the most nastiest and hateful insults and exchanges amongst people who used not a single cuss word.

Though for the sake of clarity (which I failed to mention with the opening post), the position was to assume that western civilization's standard on its list of foul language was binding.

Edited by Paladin D

Art imitates life. Naturally there will be cussing in movies. I hear much more foul language in an average day on campus than in a typical movie.

There have been a couple of times in my life that I have used some words that I wouldn't want to see in a movie. I think a war movie that showed soldiers in the heat of battle saying oh fiddlesticks wouldn't seem very realistic.

Something I just thought was interesting...

We might be more concerned with the fact that people are cussing in a movie over the fact that the movie is depicting war, violence, people being killed.

I know its history, ect. Still, its a very graphic representation of people's lives being 'torn apart' and we're worried if they're cussing too much?

What's so bad with "cuss words" that don't take the Lord's name in vain? I mean, just because society tells us that something isn't a "nice thing to say," must we listen to it?

Society has made swear words so common place that I doubt you could remove them from anything. I can say that there were a lot of great movies made about WWII, probably more pre-1970 than after and they seemed to be very gripping and moving without profanity.
Maybe the caliber of actors today are not capable of showing intense emotion so it is easier to just let the 4 letter words fly.
I wonder if the movie Pulp Fiction would have had as much impact without its language though? Probably not.

[quote name='kujo' post='1568195' date='Jun 11 2008, 12:35 PM']What's so bad with "cuss words" that don't take the Lord's name in vain? I mean, just because society tells us that something isn't a "nice thing to say," must we listen to it?[/quote]

I believe Ephesians 4:29 says something about not letting foul language come from out of our mouths

[quote]29
No foul language should come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for needed edification, that it may impart grace to those who hear.[/quote]

Society isn't the one I would be wanting to base my behavior or opinions on lol

[quote name='StColette' post='1568448' date='Jun 11 2008, 03:53 PM']I believe Ephesians 4:29 says something about not letting foul language come from out of our mouths
Society isn't the one I would be wanting to base my behavior or opinions on lol[/quote]

Okay. But what defines "foul language?" I mean, in some countries, the f-word is commonplace and isn't viewed as offensive. In my family, the s-word and the a-word aren't viewed as "foul" while the f-word, the b-word and some others are out of bounds. So where is the line drawn?

[quote name='kujo' post='1568752' date='Jun 11 2008, 08:56 PM']Okay. But what defines "foul language?" I mean, in some countries, the f-word is commonplace and isn't viewed as offensive. In my family, the s-word and the a-word aren't viewed as "foul" while the f-word, the b-word and some others are out of bounds. So where is the line drawn?[/quote]

Exactly.

As I stated just earlier: [i]Society determines which words are cuss words, but that standard changes with each century and with each culture. In western civilization, a certain word may not be deemed offensive, but in another culture it may be. Does this mean we are sinning only if we live in certain cultures? Or point in history? I believe the intent of the user is what counts, and the context it's used in which should determine if it's sinful or not. I've witnessed some of the most nastiest and hateful insults and exchanges amongst people who used not a single cuss word.[/i]

I do remember a debate back in 2004 (I did a search on it) on PM about this very issue, and [b]dust (the ultra-handsome)[/b] made a comment which stated (verbatum): "Would you feel comfortable using the same type of language infront of the Tabernacle?" It's a nice thought, but not without its flaws. Would you feel comfortable having sex with your spouse infront of the Tabernacle?

Edited by Paladin D

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1568796' date='Jun 11 2008, 09:22 PM']Exactly.

As I stated just earlier: [i]Society determines which words are cuss words, but that standard changes with each century and with each culture. In western civilization, a certain word may not be deemed offensive, but in another culture it may be. Does this mean we are sinning only if we live in certain cultures? Or point in history? I believe the intent of the user is what counts, and the context it's used in which should determine if it's sinful or not. I've witnessed some of the most nastiest and hateful insults and exchanges amongst people who used not a single cuss word.[/i]

I do remember a debate back in 2004 (I did a search on it) on PM about this very issue, and [b]dust (the ultra-handsome) (the ultra-handsome)[/b] made a comment which stated (verbatum): "Would you feel comfortable using the same type of language infront of the Tabernacle?" It's a nice thought, but not without its flaws. Would you feel comfortable having sex with your spouse infront of the Tabernacle?[/quote]

Exactly.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='The Bus Station' post='1567438' date='Jun 10 2008, 06:52 PM']I feel as though using foul language is morally inexcusable in film, even if it is true to history, as in Saving Private Ryan. It doesn't matter if you are acting or not; when you use that kind of language, it is [i]real[/i]. The graphic violence in Saving Private Ryan, I think, is excusable because it is not real violence, and it is staying true to history. When actors drop the f-bomb, although in character, they are conciously choosing to use that word, and it is sinful, and when we watch it, we are allowing that real sin into our ears. You can't fake language, it is what it is.[/quote]

iawtp

[quote name='picchick' post='1567445' date='Jun 10 2008, 06:56 PM']But I still think that it needs to stay true to history. I think that if the movies were to stay true to history a lot of it might be out of there. I could be wrong though.[/quote]

i really can't think of more than two movies that have actually stayed true to history.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1567648' date='Jun 10 2008, 10:32 PM']Art imitates life. Naturally there will be cussing in movies. I hear much more foul language in an average day on campus than in a typical movie.[/quote]

Not everyone hears foul language daily; just because we may hear it in life doesn't mean we need to hear it in movies.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1567696' date='Jun 10 2008, 11:06 PM']There have been a couple of times in my life that I have used some words that I wouldn't want to see in a movie. I think a war movie that showed soldiers in the heat of battle saying oh fiddlesticks wouldn't seem very realistic.[/quote]

they don't have to replace cuss words with cheesy phrases - you could just have them yelling "agghh!!!" or "No!!!" or something.

[quote name='Deb' post='1568283' date='Jun 11 2008, 12:28 PM']Society has made swear words so common place that I doubt you could remove them from anything. I can say that there were a lot of great movies made about WWII, probably more pre-1970 than after and they seemed to be very gripping and moving without profanity.
Maybe the caliber of actors today are not capable of showing intense emotion so it is easier to just let the 4 letter words fly.
I wonder if the movie Pulp Fiction would have had as much impact without its language though? Probably not.[/quote]

i agree with what you said about the better actors of the past; just because society has made the cuss words commonplace doesn't mean we need to throw in the towel. We can still strive for holiness, and can still avoid films with excessive foul language.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1567648' date='Jun 10 2008, 10:32 PM']Art imitates life. Naturally there will be cussing in movies. I hear much more foul language in an average day on campus than in a typical movie.[/quote]
And life imitates art. I think when it has become acceptable to put foul language in movies, music, etc., people are more likely to use foul language in life, and it becomes a vicious cycle.
In the old days, when the code prohibited cussin' on the silver screen, foul language was considered unacceptable in polite society, and would only be used in the rougher parts of society, or away from the ladies and kids.
Standards of civility have fallen, and I don't regard the ever-increasing use and acceptance of foul and obscene language to be a positive sign in our society. (Though I myself have been guilty at times)

[quote name='kujo' post='1568195' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:35 AM']What's so bad with "cuss words" that don't take the Lord's name in vain? I mean, just because society tells us that something isn't a "nice thing to say," must we listen to it?[/quote]
There's nothing magically evil about four-letter words such as the "f-bomb," but it is because these are words that have been traditionally deemed foul and vulgar that they are used as "cuss words."
You might want to think, if the "f-bomb" (or whatever other word) were considered a nice and innocent thing to say, would we use it so much?
The problem isn't so much the word itself as using language for the sake of being offensive.
It's probably venially sinful at most, but still a bad habit contrary to civility, and should be discouraged among Christians.

I'm kind of on the fence with the language in movies thing - a lot of movies I like are pretty foul-mouthed, and I've written some fiction with foul-mouthed dialog, but I think this trend has helped lead to a decline in civility and decency in our culture. And yes, old-time Hollywood has shown that you can write effective dialog without foul language, but now it seems kind of funny watching an old movie where a tough gangster character will be really furious, but say something like "Gosh darn it!"

[quote name='Alycin' post='1567467' date='Jun 10 2008, 07:18 PM']What I really can't stand is when the movies are supposed to be from like medieval times and they have them using cuss words or cuss phrases that they wouldn't have really used back then... it's lame.[/quote]
Pretty much any line of dialog in a movie about medieval times wouldn't have been used back then. The languages were very different back then, and (assuming the movie was set in England) Middle English is so different from Modern English, as to almost sound like a completely different language (and the nobility used French). Only a medieval scholar would be able to easily follow "authentic" medieval dialog.

For instance, in Braveheart, the English would have spoken Middle English, and the royalty French, while among themselves the Scots would have spoken some Celtic dialect (I'd have to look that up).

And "cussing" and vulgarity certainly existed in medieval times, though the exact turns of phrase used were probably not all exactly the same as used today. In fact, most words considered "dirty" in modern English are old Anglo-Saxon words (including f***, a**, etc.), not being considered fit for civilized discourse as their French or Latin counterparts.

Ok - :nerd:

Edited by Socrates