An Old School Catholic Message Board

Actors/actresses Cussing In Film/television

Paladin D

[size=5][color="#FF0000"][b]The topic of discussion is not to question which words constitute 'cuss' words according to the standards of society, but rather if they are permissible to be used in a specific matter in film and television.[/b][/color][/size]

In film and television, is it morally permissible for an actor or actress to use foul language/cuss words (that doesn't use the Lord's name in vain) in a particular piece? Does it depend on the context of the situation and/or film?

For example, take movies such as "Saving Private Ryan", "Black Hawk Down", "Flags of Our Fathers", or the television mini-series "Band of Brothers". Of course I'm using modern war movies as an example here, but can be applied to any genre that portrays a historical account of a real event. No doubt when you're in a situation of extreme danger, seeing your comrads being blown up, being shot at, and etc... you're not gonna sit there and yell "HOLY LETTUCE ON RYE!!!" . It would be unrealistic, and would stick out like a sore thumb, considering the film's job is to immerse the audience the best it can to recapture these events in history as accurate as possible. One can say "They don't have to say anything at all", but since all of these works also capture the emotional reactions of these characters, how would one creatively be able to avoid such usage without it seeming fake? I enjoy classic war films myself ("The Longest Day" to name one), but they do not leave the same emotional impact and level of realism compared to modern war films.

Since the above example deals with non-fictional portrayals, how about those for fictional ones?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1567227' date='Jun 10 2008, 06:45 PM']Taking the Lords name in vain can never be simulated/acted, it is always blasphemy.[/quote]

Hence:

[i]In film and television, is it morally permissible for an actor or actress to use foul language/cuss words[b] (that doesn't use the Lord's name in vain)[/b] in a particular piece? Does it depend on the context of the situation and/or film?[/i]

i dont see anything wrong with it. to me the only place where swear words stand out is in music. when i was in high school, i would hear more (and worse) insults and swear words in the walk between classes than in a whole movie.

obviously everyone is free to choose what they want to watch, or dont want to. i think it would be somewhat irresponsible to try and censor the media in this way.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1567351' date='Jun 10 2008, 07:54 PM']i dont see anything wrong with it. to me the only place where swear words stand out is in music. when i was in high school, i would hear more (and worse) insults and swear words in the walk between classes than in a whole movie.

obviously everyone is free to choose what they want to watch, or dont want to. i think it would be somewhat irresponsible to try and censor the media in this way.[/quote]

The reason I bring this up is not for the sake of the listener, but the one who is actually using the language (the actors/actresses). What would a devout Catholic actor/actress be able to do, or not do, regarding this specific topic?

Edited by Paladin D

I think that if you are making a document of history then it is to stay true to the history.

The Bus Station

I feel as though using foul language is morally inexcusable in film, even if it is true to history, as in Saving Private Ryan. It doesn't matter if you are acting or not; when you use that kind of language, it is [i]real[/i]. The graphic violence in Saving Private Ryan, I think, is excusable because it is not real violence, and it is staying true to history. When actors drop the f-bomb, although in character, they are conciously choosing to use that word, and it is sinful, and when we watch it, we are allowing that real sin into our ears. You can't fake language, it is what it is.

This is my first time on the debate board and I probably didn't express that very eloquently... but it's my two cents :D

[quote name='The Bus Station' post='1567438' date='Jun 10 2008, 07:52 PM']I feel as though using foul language is morally inexcusable in film, even if it is true to history, as in Saving Private Ryan. It doesn't matter if you are acting or not; when you use that kind of language, it is [i]real[/i]. The graphic violence in Saving Private Ryan, I think, is excusable because it is not real violence, and it is staying true to history. When actors drop the f-bomb, although in character, they are conciously choosing to use that word, and it is sinful, and when we watch it, we are allowing that real sin into our ears. You can't fake language, it is what it is.

This is my first time on the debate board and I probably didn't express that very eloquently... but it's my two cents :D[/quote]
:) It was very good and I see your point. I agree with you to an extent. But I still think that it needs to stay true to history. I think that if the movies were to stay true to history a lot of it might be out of there. I could be wrong though.

The Bus Station

Do you think if there was no language in SPR, it would be less effective? Unless the script (or the book it is based on) is an exact transcript of the conversations of soldiers during battle, there is a good chance much of the language was put in by the writers because they felt it was more realistic, and therefore not necessarily true to history, but rather a reflection of the writer's opinions of how it played out.

Edited by The Bus Station

What I really can't stand is when the movies are supposed to be from like medieval times and they have them using cuss words or cuss phrases that they wouldn't have really used back then... it's lame.

[quote name='The Bus Station' post='1567460' date='Jun 10 2008, 07:04 PM']Thanks :)

Do you think if there was no language in SPR, it would be less effective? Unless the script (or the book it is based on) is an exact transcript of the conversations of soldiers during battle, there is a good chance much of the language was put in by the writers because they felt it was more realistic, and therefore not necessarily true to history, but rather a reflection of the writer's opinions of how it played out.[/quote]

I highly doubt those soldiers under fire were that much different than the movie portrayed.

I am amazed at how many people in 'real life' use all kinds of cuss words.

I don't like it in movies when its every third word. It just becomes distracting, and I don't really know many people that speak like that. Whenever a movie uses the Lord's name in vain I cringe.

On the other hand, I experienced a situation yesterday where the person should have just said it! We were in a court on a prostitution case, and they were questioning the police officer as to what the prostitute said. He really wanted to remain polite and kept beating around the bush, saying 'well she didn't say this.. but I knew what she meant' 'how do you know' 'well it was obvious' 'hows that' 'well it just was...' this went on and on and on, until finally he just said 'she said $100 to x me'. It made the point so much clearer and it was necessary in the trial.

There are lots of supposed cuss words that aren't really that bad. We should divert into really ironing out the differences before continuing with the original idea.

[quote name='The Bus Station' post='1567460' date='Jun 10 2008, 08:04 PM']Thanks :)

Do you think if there was no language in SPR, it would be less effective?[/quote]
:yes: Yes, I do.