An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jury Duty And Voting

rkwright

Jury Duty and Voting  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm working at a State Civil Court this summer and was amazed the other day when we went to pick up a jury panel for a trial. We went to the building where all the jurors for Harris County (Houston) assemble. That day, Harris County had summed around 1,700 people for jury duty. Of that only around 350 actually showed up. We used 60 for our panel.

I'm not sure how many of those had a valid excuse (I think being a student is a valid excuse).

My thoughts; if you're not willing to do your civic duty, you have lost your right to vote.

Your thoughts on the matter?

I do not see voting as a right but as a duty. If you are an American citizen, I believe that you have a duty to vote just as you have a duty to serve your country in any way that you can whether that be jury duty or through helping the people.

homeschoolmom

I got called for jury duty when I was seven months pregnant. I went (of course), but I was very glad that I was not seated on the case they slated me for-- it would have gone at least a month (the judge warned us). With two other kids at home (and no regular childcare) and doctor's appointments every week, I would not have been happy to have served at that time. (They said I could defer it to the following month-- much worse).

So, just because people are not eager to serve at the time they are summoned does not mean that they aren't willing to serve at all.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1567193' date='Jun 10 2008, 04:34 PM']I got called for jury duty when I was seven months pregnant. I went (of course), but I was very glad that I was not seated on the case they slated me for-- it would have gone at least a month (the judge warned us). With two other kids at home (and no regular childcare) and doctor's appointments every week, I would not have been happy to have served at that time. (They said I could defer it to the following month-- much worse).

So, just because people are not eager to serve at the time they are summoned does not mean that they aren't willing to serve at all.[/quote]

Hello HSMom! I have not seen you in a long time!

Just to be clear, you would be one of the 350 that actually showed up. Only a handful of those are eventually picked, but my deal is that of the 1,700 people just asked to show up, only 350 actually did.

I think you did your duty just perfectly. If you would have told the judge and lawyers your situation I think you would probably be excused. But at least you showed up!

I'm 22 and have never been summoned for jury duty. I've also been a full-time student ever since I was 18 so maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps they should start adding outstanding 'ticket fees' to people who don't show up for the selection process. So then next time they get a speeding ticket or try to vote....OUCH $100 for skipping out on my jury duty selection summons? Won't do that again.

Just a thought, but seeing as how I'm completely ignorant on how the whole system works its probably a silly suggestion...