An Old School Catholic Message Board

Showing Affection In Front Of The Kids...

Faith 1st

Do you show affection?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Justin86' post='1566481' date='Jun 10 2008, 09:04 AM']American society is hardly "child-centered". We abort I think a million babies a year, 1/3 of my generation is fatherless, and 50% of us come from divorced families. Forgive me if I don't see any "child centeredness" in our culture these days.[/quote]

Perhaps you don't see it that way, but a lot of our culture is "child-centered" in that we are focused a lot on entertaining, amusing and spoiling our children. Camps, classes, programs, clubs, teams, etc... plus new gaming systems every year, toys, sports equipment, the latest, the greatest, bestest stuff, keep up with all the other kids. Stick up for your kid against all authority, "no one makes my kid upset" attitude, fib to get my kid into a class she's not old enough for.... It's a very child-center world.... (if you have kids)

However... it is not a culture of life. People cannot maintain that level of parenting (above) for more than 2.1 children (or whatever the birthrate is these days).

IrishSalesian

[quote name='picchick' post='1565187' date='Jun 9 2008, 06:52 PM']I think that kids need to see the affection so that they know what is right and what is wrong. I don't know if that makes sense.

When they see parents showing affection they know how to show affection while still having respect for the other person. A spouses's love is different in that the affection is genuine and not selfish. Kids need to see that in a world where instant gratification is promoted.[/quote]

I agree with this statement, I think it sums it all up.

littleflower+JMJ

I think parents need to let their kids know that marriage is not a "dead end" or "death sentence" to love like every tv show and society says it is.

[quote name='picchick' post='1565187' date='Jun 9 2008, 04:52 PM']I think that kids need to see the affection so that they know what is right and what is wrong. I don't know if that makes sense.

When they see parents showing affection they know how to show affection while still having respect for the other person. A spouses's love is different in that the affection is genuine and not selfish. Kids need to see that in a world where instant gratification is promoted.[/quote]

Completely agree.

[quote name='dust (the ultra-handsome' post='1564902' date='Jun 9 2008, 01:56 PM']Me and my wife jello wrestle while wearing nothing but hats and diapers in front of our kids. Is this wrong?[/quote]
Hey. That's my line. I do the borderline. You're the holy guy. Don't get things confused. If you forget, look at the avatars. Yours: the pope bending skyscrapes with his mind. Mine: fictional vulgar stoner.

i think that it is very important for kids to see their parents showing each other affection. they need to know that kissing, flirting, hugging, etc is not just something that is OK (in the sense that maybe it was barely permissable), but it is actually a very good, healthy and important part of their relationship.

i can't really say how many times ive heard the priests at my parish say that the parents are the first and primary educators of their children. kids need to see their parents showing affection and love for one another. it is part of a balanced, loving relationship and the children need that example of their parents showing them how to love, not just telling them.

I love the fact that my parents kiss and hug, flirt, play fight etc etc. My Mum often shouts downstairs to get my Dad to wash her back when she's in the bath. I think it's a very healthy thing to witness and to grow up with.

Autumn Dusk

Of course affection should be shown. Kids should be able to see mom and dad hugging, cuddling and giving quick kisses and should be comfortable receiving that. If you have grown kids and you wake up one day and realize you've never even held you're spouses hand in front of your kids you've got bigger problems heading your way. Most kids are naturally affectionate and need that for development. if they have it at home when they're young, and see how much affection can be alive in a marriage after many years (when their boyfriends start to get disinterested after a month) they are equipted to enter healthier relationships.

• 3 months later...
princessgianna

My parents while they do sometimes fight when we are around they also flirt!
i think it is ok because as kids/teens we need to see how a relationship between a husband and wife works. for that most likely will be most of us in the coming years (marriage). :marriage:
While my parents disagree on things they both stand up to each other and speak their mind and sometimes argue :duel: (ok i have to admit that my parents have never dueled) but it follows with a talking it out and being open to each others opinions and thinking! and most important working as a team.

It is good to see my parents truly loving each other like kissing breaking into slow dancing etc... though i have to admit that sometimes running into a brick wall seems to be less painful than seeing my parents kiss :wall: (now we all know it will be totally different [i]when I[/i] do that with (if???) my future husband,in front of (God be willing)the kids but that is besides the point! but deep down inside i am totally relieved from fear of separation of my parents!

The person who is hurt the most when there are marital problems are the kids. The kids need to see that the Dad really loves the Mom and vice versa!

This is from my personal experience though!!

Pax~