An Old School Catholic Message Board

Showing Affection In Front Of The Kids...

Faith 1st

Do you show affection?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Knightec and I always discuss this....[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]I think that the children should see us share a brief kiss of a pat here and there. My mom never did that stuff in front of us. I never saw her kiss my step dad or even play with him. I have had to work really hard and only now have I been able to show public affection to the love of my life......KNIGHTEC.

What do you think?[/font]

Thy Geekdom Come

Christopher West says "make love in front of your kids." His meaning is that "making love" isn't just sex, but hugging, kissing, and generally being affectionate. Parents need to let their kids see that they love one another...not only does it give their kids a good self-esteem and stability in their lives (because they know that they came from love and share in it as a family, even if they can't express that in such terms), but it shows the kids how to love and how to love modestly.

I think parents should show affection in front of kids. Obviously not so much that it makes the kids want to run away screaming, but I think a quick kiss or a hug or whatever is fine. I think flirting is okay but only if it's done mildly. Very mildly. Kids don't really want to see mom and dad mega-flirting, it gets gross. I think parents showing affection teaches kids about love a little bit. My old religion teacher told us that our parent's relationship is the most romantic relationship we see, and I kind of agree with that.

homeschoolmom

Also, along these same lines.... If you are going to argue within earshot of your kids, you have to make up in front of them, too. I think oftentimes parents get into an arguement and then take it off to another room... and then somehow magically, it's all over and everything is back to normal??? How confusing.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1564621' date='Jun 9 2008, 10:50 AM']Also, along these same lines.... If you are going to argue within earshot of your kids, you have to make up in front of them, too.[/quote]

:yes:

Archaeology cat

I, too, think it's good to at least show some affection (brief kisses, hugs, holding hands, etc). I may have seen my parents kiss once, and it was after I was an adult. My grandparents (both sets) flirted, and I thought it was wonderful.

I wish my parents had showed affection towards each other. Perhaps it would've helped their marriage.

The Bus Station

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1564639' date='Jun 9 2008, 10:58 AM']My parents can if they want to, but I still think its gross.[/quote]

MissScripture

I don't remember where I read it, but I believe I read somewhere that children who have parents who show affection in front of their children are less likely to get a divorce or something...I don't remember specifics, only that the point was, you should show affection.
And as much as my sister and I now go "Ewwww!" I do think it has been good for us to see it. I also know that when we were little, whenever they did hug or kiss, we'd try to get in on the hug and get kisses, too.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1564720' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:25 AM']I also know that when we were little, whenever they did hug or kiss, we'd try to get in on the hug and get kisses, too.[/quote]

:hehe: me too :)

MissScripture

Oh, and I plan on being affectionate in front of my children. I would have a really hard time NOT being affectionate, for one thing...

Me and my wife jello wrestle while wearing nothing but hats and diapers in front of our kids. Is this wrong?

[quote name='dust (the ultra-handsome' post='1564902' date='Jun 9 2008, 02:56 PM']Me and my wife jello wrestle while wearing nothing but hats and diapers in front of our kids. Is this wrong?[/quote]

The only thing wrong is that it's not pudding!