An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking In The House Or Car

Alycin

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='MissScripture' post='1564116' date='Jun 8 2008, 09:36 PM']Honestly, I think the education thing is touted a little too much. At my school they were trying to make it a smoke free campus, and people kept asking what they would do about people who came to our school as smokers and were living on campus. Their answer was "education." At my school, where it is largely health care majors, you can't NOT know what smoking does. Heck, I don't think in the general population, you really can, but especially not when it's plastered all over everything about 75% of the time. It just seems that they were ignoring the fact that people have reasons that they smoke, and just telling someone it's bad for their health isn't going to effectively stop them.[/quote]
i meant education about second hand smoke, and what it does to children - i don't think people are educated enough about that.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564168' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:07 PM']I just wish there was another way, so that non-smoker spouses and children wouldn't be penalized... so sad that people that never smoke a day in their life can end up with lung cancer. :([/quote]or not. what's the percentage of people that [b]don't[/b] end up with cancer from second hand smoke?

I have no idea... I didn't even say anything about how often it was... just the fact that it is possible bothers me.

One child ending up with lung cancer after never having smoked a cigarette in his/her life is one too many, for me.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564277' date='Jun 9 2008, 01:11 AM']I have no idea... I didn't even say anything about how often it was... just the fact that it is possible bothers me.

One child ending up with lung cancer after never having smoked a cigarette in his/her life is one too many, for me.[/quote]

Lung cancer in children is also from pollution. Do not discredit that as well...

Meg

[quote name='picchick' post='1564281' date='Jun 9 2008, 01:12 AM']Lung cancer in children is also from pollution. Do not discredit that as well...

Meg[/quote]

I did not even know that actually.

Archaeology cat

I accidentally hit the wrong one - meant to vote that it's never ok. The elder of my foster brothers had really bad asthma, and one of the conditions of home visits was that his parents wouldn't smoke inside, which didn't happen (of course, they weren't just smoking cigarettes, either, but I digress). And since my husband has asthma, we don't really like being around smoke anyway. I really like the smoking ban, actually. As for missing smoking, I do like to have an occasional cigar, but not cigarettes.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564112' date='Jun 9 2008, 04:35 AM']There should be a designated smoking area AWAY from the entrance/exits (so people don't have to walk through smoke to get in or out) and away from the cars, but still on-site. Just my opinion though.[/quote]
The Women's Hospital here doesn't allow smoking near the entrances or in the parking lot, but they have provided a place for smokers (and it isn't [i]that [/i]far from the hospital, just enough where you don't have to walk through smoke to get there)

The NHS actually won't do some treatments (treatments that can safely be postponed) before the person tries to give up smoking for a couple of months, just because they're less likely to have problems in recovery that way.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564067' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:11 PM']Smoking bans exist in a lot of places, unfortunately, most of the bans (to my knowledge) don't apply to one's own house.... which means no protection for the kids. :([/quote]
And the shouldn't apply to one's own house. I believe that it would be an invasion of privacy. THere needs to be education on children, respiratory problems and effects of second hand smoke. Everyone knows that smoking is bad. But not everyone is clear on the effects of second hand smoke.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564112' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:35 PM']There should be a designated smoking area AWAY from the entrance/exits (so people don't have to walk through smoke to get in or out) and away from the cars, but still on-site. Just my opinion though.[/quote]

In Il. you have to be a certain distance from the entrance. No smoking in public areas.

MissScripture

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1564272' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:05 AM']+J.M.J.+

i meant education about second hand smoke, and what it does to children - i don't think people are educated enough about that.[/quote]
True, they do focus on what smoking does to the smoker's lungs and body.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1564367' date='Jun 9 2008, 02:44 AM']The Women's Hospital here doesn't allow smoking near the entrances or in the parking lot, but they have provided a place for smokers (and it isn't [i]that [/i]far from the hospital, just enough where you don't have to walk through smoke to get there)

The NHS actually won't do some treatments (treatments that can safely be postponed) before the person tries to give up smoking for a couple of months, just because they're less likely to have problems in recovery that way.[/quote]
At pulmonary rehab, where I had to a practicum roatation last year, they wouldn't allow patients who were still smoking to come in for out patient rehab, because a) if they're still smoking, they're still actively hurting their respiratory tract and b) it is hurting the other patients, as well, if they have to come in and smell smoke on someone else, when they're already having a hard time breathing. They would help people stop smoking, but they would not be enrolled in the program unless they had stopped. They had a sign up that said, "Patrons caught smoking will be hung by their toenails and beaten with a carrot, by order of the establisment." :hehehe:

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1564432' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:26 PM']"Patrons caught smoking will be hung by their toenails and beaten with a carrot, by order of the establisment." :hehehe:[/quote]
See, this is why I told punk rockers to screw themselves and joined the establishment. Such good, heartwarming times to be had here with us!

Louisiana actually passed a law that says people smoking in a car where there is a child under 13 will be given a nice hefty ticket.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='picchick' post='1564413' date='Jun 9 2008, 01:47 PM']And the shouldn't apply to one's own house. I believe that it would be an invasion of privacy. THere needs to be education on children, respiratory problems and effects of second hand smoke. Everyone knows that smoking is bad. But not everyone is clear on the effects of second hand smoke.[/quote]
Agreed

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1564432' date='Jun 9 2008, 02:26 PM']At pulmonary rehab, where I had to a practicum roatation last year, they wouldn't allow patients who were still smoking to come in for out patient rehab, because a) if they're still smoking, they're still actively hurting their respiratory tract and b) it is hurting the other patients, as well, if they have to come in and smell smoke on someone else, when they're already having a hard time breathing. They would help people stop smoking, but they would not be enrolled in the program unless they had stopped. They had a sign up that said, "Patrons caught smoking will be hung by their toenails and beaten with a carrot, by order of the establisment." :hehehe:[/quote]
Yeah, it was with things like that. I think they also said that about certain operations, because recovery just wouldn't go all that well if the person was still smoking. But that sign is awesome. :lol:

MissScripture

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1564459' date='Jun 9 2008, 09:10 AM']Agreed
Yeah, it was with things like that. I think they also said that about certain operations, because recovery just wouldn't go all that well if the person was still smoking. But that sign is awesome. :lol:[/quote]
Yeah, it's amazing what not smoking does for the length of recovery time in any operation!

Personally I have never liked the smell of cigeretts and now that 3 of my 4 kids have asthma....others smoking around my kids really bothers me. I know that it may be their right...but if it means that my child may end up in the hospital because you needed a cigerette I ahve not problem telling you we have to leave your house now or you may NOT drive with my children.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='StColette' post='1564452' date='Jun 9 2008, 08:57 AM']Louisiana actually passed a law that says people smoking in a car where there is a child under 13 will be given a nice hefty ticket.[/quote]

Interesting....

MissScripture

[quote name='iggyjoan' post='1564672' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:10 AM']Blah. My parents smoke all the time when we're around, even in the car. It's disgusting.[/quote]
Don't worry, Iggy, neither Roamin or I smoke. My mother would kill me if I so much as thought about smoking!