An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking In The House Or Car

Alycin

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564109' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:32 PM']I am not going for an outright ban, but I have mentioned in places elsewhere on the board that I think people who don't smoke and make other good choices for their health and the environment and the community etc... should get tax cuts... just an idea though.[/quote]

they shouldn't get tax cuts, they should get what they already get....

And usually that is cheaper insurance, both health and life..

MissScripture

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1564097' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:24 PM']+J.M.J.+
i'm sorry, i voted it's never right to smoke around kids, but getting a ban into people's homes/cars is going too far. i think it's ridiculous that the local hospital has a ban on smoking even in their parking lot!

education is what is needed, education and help to quit smoking.

p.s. my husband's a smoker, but always outside, and never around me or baby girl. :)[/quote]
Honestly, I think the education thing is touted a little too much. At my school they were trying to make it a smoke free campus, and people kept asking what they would do about people who came to our school as smokers and were living on campus. Their answer was "education." At my school, where it is largely health care majors, you can't NOT know what smoking does. Heck, I don't think in the general population, you really can, but especially not when it's plastered all over everything about 75% of the time. It just seems that they were ignoring the fact that people have reasons that they smoke, and just telling someone it's bad for their health isn't going to effectively stop them.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1564105' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:29 PM']man I miss smoking[/quote]

likewise, but i don't miss the ill effects!

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1564116' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:36 PM']Honestly, I think the education thing is touted a little too much. At my school they were trying to make it a smoke free campus, and people kept asking what they would do about people who came to our school as smokers and were living on campus. Their answer was "education." At my school, where it is largely health care majors, you can't NOT know what smoking does. Heck, I don't think in the general population, you really can, but especially not when it's plastered all over everything about 75% of the time. It just seems that they were ignoring the fact that people have reasons that they smoke, and just telling someone it's bad for their health isn't going to effectively stop them.[/quote]

people are greedy, which is why i think we'd see a substantial change in the number of people doing unhealthy things if they got rewarded financially...

just an idea... i wish I had a better one though...

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564134' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:46 PM']people are greedy, which is why i think we'd see a substantial change in the number of people doing unhealthy things if they got rewarded financially...

just an idea... i wish I had a better one though...[/quote]

I think tax breaks could lead to more big brother like involvement from the government, something that a lot of people already oppose. i feel that giving them breaks on health insurance and life insurance. Both of which you already receive for not smoking, is enough incentive for those who care about the money. Heck, just the money they would have to use on things other than smokes should be a big enough incentive already.

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1564139' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:50 PM']I think tax breaks could lead to more big brother like involvement from the government, something that a lot of people already oppose. i feel that giving them breaks on health insurance and life insurance. Both of which you already receive for not smoking, is enough incentive for those who care about the money. Heck, just the money they would have to use on things other than smokes should be a big enough incentive already.[/quote]

It should be... unfortunately it isn't. Once upon a time I could buy a pack of marlboro reds for 2.73. Okay, *I* couldn't buy them but... you know. Someone could buy them for me for 2.73. Now they are almost 5 a pack. And to my knowledge... numbers of smokers haven't gone down... but maybe they are going down but just slowly? I dunno. I'd have to google it.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1564120' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:38 PM']likewise, but i don't miss the ill effects![/quote]

how long's it been for you fides?

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564153' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:57 PM']It should be... unfortunately it isn't. Once upon a time I could buy a pack of marlboro reds for 2.73. Okay, *I* couldn't buy them but... you know. Someone could buy them for me for 2.73. Now they are almost 5 a pack. And to my knowledge... numbers of smokers haven't gone down... but maybe they are going down but just slowly? I dunno. I'd have to google it.[/quote]

but why give tax breaks when there are already enough financial incentives?

MissScripture

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564134' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:46 PM']people are greedy, which is why i think we'd see a substantial change in the number of people doing unhealthy things if they got rewarded financially...

just an idea... i wish I had a better one though...[/quote]
I'm not saying that there should be no education, by any means. Just that I think we've reached the asymptote of decreasing smoking through education. It's still needed to keep us there, just shouldn't be expected to cause masses of people to suddenly realize it's bad.

Wow, this is bringing me back to my exercise science tests, where we had to write what different levels of people could do to encourage healthy behavior. Money was involved in a lot of it, but it all comes down to personal decision. Unless it's pretty significant financial gain, it has to be an intrinsic thing to want to quit and stick with it.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1564164' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:05 AM']I'm not saying that there should be no education, by any means. Just that I think we've reached the asymptote of decreasing smoking through education. It's still needed to keep us there, just shouldn't be expected to cause masses of people to suddenly realize it's bad.

Wow, this is bringing me back to my exercise science tests, where we had to write what different levels of people could do to encourage healthy behavior. Money was involved in a lot of it, but it all comes down to personal decision. Unless it's pretty significant financial gain, it has to be an intrinsic thing to want to quit and stick with it.[/quote]

I just wish there was another way, so that non-smoker spouses and children wouldn't be penalized... so sad that people that never smoke a day in their life can end up with lung cancer. :(

MissScripture

Okay, the exact phrase I was looking for was "internal motivation" not "intrinsic thing."
But, for some people, spouses and children are enough of a motivation. I know a woman at my church who stopped smoking cold-turkey when her son came home and asked who would take care of him when she died from smoking.

I mean, it's one of those things that goes for any bad habit or addiction people have that affect their family. You wish there was some way to stop it, or to get them to stop doing it, but THEY have to make the decision. No one can do it for them.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1564154' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:58 PM']how long's it been for you fides?[/quote]

:nocomment:

I have quit smoking sooooo many times in the past 6 years... this time is one of the longest I've gone without.

I think that if you are going to smoke, (just like if you are going to drink) you need to do so responsibly. We all know the hazards of smoking. I am not going to beat it into people even though the nurse in me is screaming.

However, no one around you should have to deal with it. Be respectful. There are so many respiratory problems with children nowadays especially with pollution in the air. Smoking around children should never be ok. Second hand smoke is known to be just as dangerous as smoking.

So what should be done? Education first off. People need to be educated and educated and educated about smoking and second hand smoke. Again, if you decide to smoke then do not smoke around your children. Education is first.

Governments should not regulate this. I think that it is great that they banned smoking in public places. However, I do not think that they should start regulating smoking in personal places. That is just an invasion of privacy.

Meg