An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking In The House Or Car

Alycin

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am just curious, the alcohol one got me thinking about smoking. Since smoking is damaging to people even when they don't do it themselves.... what do yall think?

MissScripture

My brother got a lady to quit smoking when he was 5 yrs old and my mom was pregnant with me. My mom was too embarrassed to say anything to the lady, but the 5 yr old had no problem telling her that if she wanted to smoke, she had to go outside, because it smelled bad! :lol:
I think that smoking around children is absolutely horrendous, because of the damage it can do. My great-aunt was told by a doctor that if she didn't stop smoking, she's die within a year, because her lungs were so black. She had never smoked a day in her life, but inhaled her husband's second-hand smoke. And if does that to a grown woman, what can it do to growing children?

I agree. I want to scream when I see people driving down the street smoking with kids in the back seat. :(

Madtown Sem.

seems like a no brainer, but then people demonstrate that they apparently have no brain by doing it...

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1563942' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:33 PM']So let's have more government regulation!!! :woot:[/quote]

It's a slippery slope... some people think seatbelt laws are already too invasive.

MissScripture

I think he was being sarcastic, seeing as how we recently had smoking bans put into effect in MN, and they already existed in ND.

Smoking bans exist in a lot of places, unfortunately, most of the bans (to my knowledge) don't apply to one's own house.... which means no protection for the kids. :(

CatherineM

My parents were WWII generation, so everyone smoked. They smoked around us, and out of 6 kids, I'm the only one who doesn't smoke. I don't think it is a coincidence. My dad had stopped right after I was born. He had taken a job around diesels, and gas, so smoking was a tad hazardous. My mom didn't smoke when he was home to help him out. So the only time I saw one of them smoking was when I was at home alone with my mom, so that was only when I wasn't in school. I didn't see it like my older brothers did. I think that helped me not to end up as a smoker.

ardillacid

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564067' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:11 PM']Smoking bans exist in a lot of places, unfortunately, most of the bans (to my knowledge) don't apply to one's own house.... which means no protection for the kids. :([/quote]
I think you are looking for an outright ban...but where are the politicians gonna get 150 million when the are in a tight spot? :o

...which is why an outright ban will never happen.

Edited by notardillacid

[quote name='Alycin' post='1564067' date='Jun 8 2008, 09:11 PM']Smoking bans exist in a lot of places, unfortunately, most of the bans (to my knowledge) don't apply to one's own house.... which means no protection for the kids. :([/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i'm sorry, i voted it's never right to smoke around kids, but getting a ban into people's homes/cars is going too far. i think it's ridiculous that the local hospital has a ban on smoking even in their parking lot!

education is what is needed, education and help to quit smoking.

p.s. my husband's a smoker, but always outside, and never around me or baby girl. :)

I am not going for an outright ban, but I have mentioned in places elsewhere on the board that I think people who don't smoke and make other good choices for their health and the environment and the community etc... should get tax cuts... just an idea though.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1564097' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:24 PM']+J.M.J.+
i think it's ridiculous that the local hospital has a ban on smoking even in their parking lot![/quote]

There should be a designated smoking area AWAY from the entrance/exits (so people don't have to walk through smoke to get in or out) and away from the cars, but still on-site. Just my opinion though.