An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parents And Drinking

Lil Red

Drinking and Parenting  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='picchick' post='1563080' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:34 PM']*SOmething SOmething* bad *something* is always *something*. *Something* bible.[/quote]

Of two evils, the lesser must always be chosen. Therefore, let us drink.

[quote name='picchick' post='1563080' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:34 PM']Sorry *something* yoga against my conscience?[/quote]

I think some people in [i]yogas[/i] are plotting against me!

Edited by KnightofChrist

I hope someday I could get around to doin that latin thing :mellow:

Anywho,

I voted

Not sure

Yes

No

unless you count me drinking wine as an anglican during the "eucharist" :P

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1563084' date='Jun 7 2008, 11:38 PM']Of two evils, the lesser must always be chosen. Therefore, let us drink.[/quote]
Whaaaat? No. We can refrain from evil.

But alcohol is not evil. Drinking is not evil. Temperance. :)

[quote name='picchick' post='1562996' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:37 PM']the purpose of saving the bad wine for last is because then no one could tell the difference. You can tell a bad alcohol if you are sober. But, can you tell a bad alcohol when you are tipsy or drunk? Probably. But that doesn't mean that the bible is saying that it is ok to get drunk. In fact, I think that what the bible verse is trying to say is that everything Jesus gives us is good. Just when we think that we have gotten everything good, Jesus gives us more.[/quote]

:yes:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Alycin' post='1563279' date='Jun 8 2008, 09:23 AM']Whaaaat? No. We can refrain from evil.

But alcohol is not evil. Drinking is not evil. Temperance. :)[/quote]

T'was a jokey joke.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1563084' date='Jun 7 2008, 11:38 PM']Of two evils, the lesser must always be chosen. Therefore, let us drink.
I think some people in [i]yogas[/i] are plotting against me![/quote]

oooooohhhhhh, so I was sorta close? :lol: I was going to whip out some Polish on you...

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1563345' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:25 AM']T'was a jokey joke.[/quote]

Yes, that is why I didn't debate the topic...although I would definitely win that one :boxer: :P

I wanted to also add, that alcoholism is genetic as well. The article snippet does not mention that.

Norseman82

[quote name='Alycin' post='1562349' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:58 AM']IMO it could go either way with teens... if there is not a drop of alcohol in the house it may create a curiosity about it and an eagerness to try it. If a child grows up witnessing their mother or father drink on a regular basis, the child could use that excuse as a reason why they should be able to drink. If a child grows up watching their parents drink to a point where their demeanor changes, even in the slightest, it can be damaging and confusing to them.

So pretty much... it could all go wrong.[/quote]

Another road that is travelled is that when you see how much alcohol abuse by a family member negatively affects you and those around you, you tend to not use alcohol or use it very limitedly.

Norseman82

[quote name='picchick' post='1563350' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:32 AM']I was going to whip out some Polish on you...[/quote]

Co?

Jak tam idzie, pani?

Pytanie: ja czytałem twoich posty tutaj; czy Didymus jest twój brat?

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1563387' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:12 PM']Another road that is travelled is that when you see how much alcohol abuse by a family member negatively affects you and those around you, you tend to not use alcohol or use it very limitedly.[/quote]

Yep, my Dad is an alcoholic, though he has been sober for a little over a year now. I used to drink a lot, in high school. I don't touch alcohol now. I imagine that the precious blood will be the only way that alcohol enters my body on a regular occasion. I just don't wanna risk it, since alcoholism runs in both sides of my family.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='Alycin' post='1563394' date='Jun 8 2008, 02:25 PM']Yep, my Dad is an alcoholic, though he has been sober for a little over a year now. I used to drink a lot, in high school. I don't touch alcohol now. I imagine that the precious blood will be the only way that alcohol enters my body on a regular occasion. I just don't wanna risk it, since alcoholism runs in both sides of my family.[/quote]

Same with me and my family...

fides quarens intellectum

Dad was an alcoholic.

Do i like beer? yes. Liquor? rarely, but yes.
Do i get drunk? not in years.
Am i an alcoholic? by the grace of God, no.
If i were, could i blame it on my Dad? no.
Should we take responsiblity for our own actions? yes.
Is the article full of croutons? yes.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1563545' date='Jun 8 2008, 04:20 PM']Dad was an alcoholic.

Do i like beer? yes. Liquor? rarely, but yes.
Do i get drunk? not in years.
Am i an alcoholic? by the grace of God, no.
If i were, could i blame it on my Dad? no.
Should we take responsiblity for our own actions? yes.
Is the article full of croutons? yes.[/quote]

:huh:

I don't think anyone was saying that. You can be genetically predisposed to alcoholism, but that's not anyone's fault. I would never blame my parents for passing down something like that to me. It's not their fault.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Alycin' post='1563549' date='Jun 8 2008, 03:26 PM']:huh:

I don't think anyone was saying that. You can be genetically predisposed to alcoholism, but that's not anyone's fault. I would never blame my parents for passing down something like that to me. It's not their fault.[/quote]

Sorry - let me clarify - i'm not accusing anyone on this thread for saying that; my response was directed more toward the silly article.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1563557' date='Jun 8 2008, 04:36 PM']Sorry - let me clarify - i'm not accusing anyone on this thread for saying that; my response was directed more toward the silly article.[/quote]

Oh okay! I was like, huh? lol... The article takes it a bit too far but I can understand their chain of thought. It's like, if you never allow your child to walk across the street, they won't get hit by a car. But what happens when they are out on their own and they don't know that they are supposed to look both ways because it was never modeled or discussed?

I can't blame my parents for my drinking because they never drank. I started drinking because I wanted to. As a parent I am more responsible when I drink around my kids. I wont drink at all if it is just me and the kids and I will only have a little to drink if the wife is with us. I never want my kids to see me drunk.