An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parents And Drinking

Lil Red

Drinking and Parenting  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+J.M.J.+
there was an interest article today in my paper about the fact that my state's students' drinking has increased from 2005 (among 12-20 year olds).

to quote:[quote]We have been taught to think that the key to appropriate drinking habits is teaching our children to "drink responsibly." This idea is a fallacy. We cannot teach anyone to drink responsibly; what we are actually doing is teaching them to drink. No one starts drinking to become an alcoholic.

When we begin to drink alcohol, it is like playing Russian roulette - except instead of bullets, the empty chambers are moderate drinkers, and the loaded chamber is an alcoholic.

Set an alcohol-free example
When we teach our children to "drink responsibly," we are playing a dangerous game with their lives and their future. Is that alcoholic chamber destined for your child? This is a question that should be at the forefront of our thoughts before we become the influencer of our children's drinking habit.[/quote]

as a parent, i always thought it was my responsibility to model appropriate alcoholic consumption, but this article has me thinking. what are your thoughts?

Keep booze out of the house except for COOKING! {like chicken and wine}

:topsy:

Edited by Budge

cmotherofpirl

Why? There is nothing wrong with having a glass of wine at Christmas or Thanksgiving. Jesus drank wine.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1562229' date='Jun 8 2008, 12:10 AM']Why? There is nothing wrong with having a glass of wine at Christmas or Thanksgiving. Jesus drank wine.[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. My parents drank around me(never to excess mind you) and I'm a responsible drinker to this day.

Responsible drinker?

Does that mean you just get TIPSY and NOT out and out DRUNK?

Having booze in the house can be a stumbling block to a teen who is predestined to problems with alcohol, it is something that is NOT necessary.

[quote]The quoted article was written by a moron.[/quote]
:yes:

[quote name='Budge' post='1562282' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:34 AM']Responsible drinker?

Does that mean you just get TIPSY and NOT out and out DRUNK?

Having booze in the house can be a stumbling block to a teen who is predestined to problems with alcohol, it is something that is NOT necessary.[/quote]
Yea, that thought never stopped many kids from boozing once they got to college. :huh:

Edited by rachael

[quote name='Budge' post='1562282' date='Jun 8 2008, 12:34 AM']Does that mean you just get TIPSY and NOT out and out DRUNK?[/quote]
Yeah, so? Jesus got tipsy too.

[quote name='rachael' post='1562297' date='Jun 8 2008, 12:44 AM']Yea, that thought never stopped many kids from boozing once they got to college. :huh:[/quote]
Or in high school with their friends for that matter.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1562252' date='Jun 7 2008, 10:18 AM']My thoughts exactly. My parents drank around me(never to excess mind you) and I'm a responsible drinker to this day.[/quote]

This from the person who told me last week, "[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=80601&st=280"]Since when was drunkenness a sin[/url]?"

:ohno:

[quote name='Winchester' post='1562284' date='Jun 7 2008, 11:35 AM']The quoted article was written by a moron.[/quote]

I second that notion.

IMO it could go either way with teens... if there is not a drop of alcohol in the house it may create a curiosity about it and an eagerness to try it. If a child grows up witnessing their mother or father drink on a regular basis, the child could use that excuse as a reason why they should be able to drink. If a child grows up watching their parents drink to a point where their demeanor changes, even in the slightest, it can be damaging and confusing to them.

So pretty much... it could all go wrong.

Calling someone who has an opinion that disagrees with your own a moron is pretty uncharitable.

The article topic is not a new one; and just because some people don't like the idea of not keeping alcohol in their house because they like to drink, does not mean that the article doesn't have a reasonable argument.

Winchester

Drunkenness is the habit of being drunk. Don't bother with dictionary definitions. You'll find they vary. My usage is proper.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1562333' date='Jun 8 2008, 12:55 AM']This from the person who told me last week, "[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=80601&st=280"]Since when was drunkenness a sin[/url]?"

:ohno:[/quote]
:rolleyes:

I think I clarified what I meant in that topic. Thanks for spinning my words to make me sound like an alcoholic.

Why are the Charity Police so uncharitable?

Edited by Justin86