An Old School Catholic Message Board

10% Of All Americans Are Ex-catholics!

Budge

homeschoolmom

Yup... It has always been that way Budge. When the teachings get tough and hard to follow, people turn tail and leave....

Just read John 6.

Thy Geekdom Come

1 out of 12 apostles left the faith, too. I'm not sure what statistics have to do with anything.

:mellow:

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1562669' date='Jun 7 2008, 03:27 PM']I'm Irish

This topic [i]technically[/i] doesn't apply to me :topsy:[/quote]
Technically, it does cause of all your Irish relatives who have travelled to North America to seek a new life. You'd better get on this topic and root for the cousins, etc that you've never met. They might be the churchless.

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1562748' date='Jun 7 2008, 05:15 PM']I think she's just trying to bombard us with how much we fail so we despair and doubt the Church.[/quote]
Wow, he's got the hang of her after 1 post :mellow:

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1562929' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:11 PM']this is typical budge-ian debating. much like JIMSH, they don't actually debate anything, and make lots of arguably pointless threads.

their downfall is that they rely on weird feelings in their belly, like how chrisitans just knew that the earth was the center of the universe cause the bible says so, instead of rational thought. even though what the bible says here and often is debateable. they think rational thought is muddying up the field, and makes them think too much.[/quote]

Werd. Agreed. Faith and Reason, folks. God is not a being of confusion, but order and logic. look at creation, natural law... science.

"Kyrie eleison"

Budge,

As many leave many Catholics leave, those who are protestant come home with open arms, when they find all the contradictions, misconceptions and lies about the Catholic Church. Many who are Catholic do come back, just as I. You should have seen those confirmed in my church (about 20) as new Catholics. Alleluia!

Norseman82

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1562937' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:32 PM']Yup... It has always been that way Budge. When the teachings get tough and hard to follow, people turn tail and leave....

Just read John 6.[/quote]

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

Edited by Norseman82

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1563382' date='Jun 8 2008, 12:58 PM']DING! DING! DING! We have a winner![/quote]
:blush:

Norseman82

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1563570' date='Jun 8 2008, 04:52 PM']:blush:[/quote]

In the sense that you hit the nail right on the head.

Edited by Norseman82

geauxsaints26

[b][size=4]U.S. Membership Denominational Ranking: Largest 25 Denominations/Communions[/size] [/b]
2006 Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches.

1. The Catholic Church, 67,820,833 members, reporting an increase of .83 percent.

2. The Southern Baptist Convention, 16,267,494 members, reporting a decrease of 1.05 percent. (See clarification, below.)

3. The United Methodist Church, 8,186,254 members, reporting a decrease of .79 percent.

4. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 5,999,177 members, reporting an increase of 1.74 percent.

5. The Church of God in Christ, 5,499,875 members, no increase or decrease reported.

6. National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc., 5,000,000 members, no increase or decrease reported.

7. Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 4,930,429, reporting a decrease of 1.09 percent.

8. National Baptist Convention of America, 3,500,000, no increase or decrease reported.

9. Presbyterian Church (USA), 3,189,573 members, reporting a decrease of 1.60 percent.

10. Assemblies of God, 2,779,095 members, reporting an increase of 1.81 percent.

[url="http://www.ncccusa.org/news/060330yearbook1.html"][b]NationalCouncilofChurches[/b][/url]

We are #1
We are #1
We are so smart... Smart! Smart! Smart!

S...M....R.....T :banana:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='geauxsaints26' post='1563573' date='Jun 8 2008, 05:03 PM']We are #1
We are #1
We are so smart... Smart! Smart! Smart!

S...M....R.....T :banana:[/quote]
D'oh!

geauxsaints26

So we are number 1 even when it comes to those who choose to leave as well?

Woohoo!

We are #1
We are #1

More people joining than any other church
More people leaving than any other church
More people in general than any other church

I think it may be unfair since we've had such a huge headstart on the other denominations though.

U.S. religious population trends:

[b]1850 (estimates)[/b]

85% Protestant
5% Catholic

[b]1890[/b]

78% Protestant
11% Catholic

[b]1910[/b]

70% Protestant
16% Catholic

[b]2008 (estimates)[/b]

51% Protestant