An Old School Catholic Message Board

10% Of All Americans Are Ex-catholics!

Budge

dominicansoul

[quote]The Roman Catholic Church has lost more members than any faith tradition because of affiliation swapping, the survey found. While nearly one in three Americans were raised Catholic, fewer than one in four say they're Catholic today. That means roughly 10 percent of all Americans are ex-Catholics.[/quote]

So?

Galloglasses

The point is, with all the loses we've had since the sixties, we're still the largest single denomination on Earth, (Islam has two, Sunni and Shi'ite), what gives? :huh:

Farsight one

This IS the debate table. So, Budge, what is the debate?

You copied and pasted an article (which I notice you failed to source), made a statement, and didn't ask a question. Where is the debate?

Galloglasses

I think she's just trying to bombard us with how much we fail so we despair and doubt the Church.

cmotherofpirl

As to your second question, I know one lapsed catholic and I am working on her. However, almost all the people I know who were raised protestant, very few who actually attends any kind of service. One attends a cult, and the other one who is a lesbian goes to a church that approves gay marriage.
The rest claim to be christian, but attend nothing. Because the non-Catholic groups don't require attendance, many stay home assuming they and their personal Savior are getting along fine, forgetting Jesus founded a Church.

Galloglasses

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1562806' date='Jun 7 2008, 05:21 PM']As to your second question, I know one lapsed catholic and I am working on her. However, almost all the people I know who were raised protestant, very few who actually attends any kind of service. One attends a cult, and the other one who is a lesbian goes to a church that approves gay marriage.
The rest claim to be christian, but attend nothing. Because the non-Catholic groups don't require attendance, many stay home assuming they and their personal Savior are getting along fine, forgetting Jesus founded a Church.[/quote]
Ouch

CatherineM

My dad wanted to be a Baptist every winter when he had to dig the car out of the snow to go to church. When Spring came, he always sang a different tune. Easter will do that when you know the truth.

Galloglasses

This reminds me of that Episode in the Simpsons were Bart and Lisa were complaining about having to go to Church on Sundays in the car.

Bart: "Mom, can't we become Catholic and go to Church on Saturday?"
Lisa: "Yeah!"
Mom: "No-one's becoming Catholic!" *After she turns around again* "Three children is enough, thank you"

CatherineM

I remember that one, but I think it was because they were hungry, and Bart wanted to convert so that they could get wafers and booze at church.

The episode where he and Homer almost convert was pretty funny too.

HisChildForever

Catholics practice a [b]living faith[/b]. Someone made an excellent point - we don't use "Jesus and I are in a personal relationship" as an excuse to not attend Mass. It's [b]because[/b] we're in a personal relationship (yes, Catholics are!) that we go to Church every week, some of us every day - why? Because you don't get much more personal than the Eucharist. (And yes, the Eucharist is Biblical. If Protestants are so literal with Revelation, then why can't they be literal with the words that came directly out of Jesus's mouth in regards to the Eucharist?) We don't "save" our own souls by saying a 30 second prayer, nor do we assume that this prayer will assure us a seat in Heaven. That's too easy - being a Christian isn't supposed to be easy. No, Jesus has ALREADY saved us, it's just a matter of accepting Him, loving Him, and [b]living[/b] out our faith.

Edited by HisChildForever

dairygirl4u2c

this is typical budge-ian debating. much like JIMSH, they don't actually debate anything, and make lots of arguably pointless threads.

their downfall is that they rely on weird feelings in their belly, like how chrisitans just knew that the earth was the center of the universe cause the bible says so, instead of rational thought. even though what the bible says here and often is debateable. they think rational thought is muddying up the field, and makes them think too much.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c