An Old School Catholic Message Board

Deportation Of Armenian Family...

rhetoricfemme

rhetoricfemme

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/05/armenian.valedictorian/index.html?iref=mpstoryview"]The Mkoyan family[/url] has been in the U.S. since 1992 and will be deported ten days after their son's high school graduation. They had done everything possible to be able to stay in America, and their reason for leaving in the first place was because they feared for their lives.

I feel like they should be able to stay; it seems as though they've done all they can to make their residence permanent. What do you think?

They need prayers either way, I know that much.

+J.M.J.+
well, there has to be a reason why the government feels they should be deported. it's probably just not getting reported.

Yeah, it sounds sketchy, but I wouldn't trust the media's reporting of this incident. There's gotta be another side to the story.

Ultimately it is our right as a sovereign nation to decide who we allow to enter, stay, and grant citizenship too. While I suspect the government more than likely has some security concerns about this family that they are not reporting, even if the decision was based more on room for jobs, or whatever else, it still is within our rights to deport them.

cmotherofpirl

THe government is also deporting an irish priest who runs 4 parishes and has been trying for years to get his paperwork sorted out. Sometimes its a mistake to credit bureaucrats with brains.

CatherineM

Until you have had to wade through immigration paperwork, you can have no idea how hard it is. We like to think that everything is done equally and fairly, but this is one area of government that has a lot of bureaucratic discretion, often placed in the hands of low-rung people. I have a friend who was denied immigration to Canada because her 21 year old son was arrested in California for carrying a knife. He wasn't immigrating with her, and she obviously doesn't have custody of him, but Canada considers him a minor, and therefore under her control, until he is 22 years old.

There was a case back home in St. Pete of a couple from Germany who had immigrated to the US under the business class, and had been running a bakery business for many years. When it came time to renew their business visas again like they had many times before, they were arbitrarily turned down, and the whole family had to leave. I forget how many people were unemployed when they had to close their business. These kinds of things happen all the time, and the only thing that gets them overturned is money for a really good lawyer, or political pressure, or pressure from the media. Sometimes it takes all three. Most immigrants just go home quietly, because they don't know that they can appeal.