An Old School Catholic Message Board

Homeless People

rckllnknny

Vincent Vega

[quote]Give them change?[/quote]
Obama would. He's got "change" pouring out his wazoo.

havok579257

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1584313' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:16 PM']Y'know, I thought the answer to the topic's question should be rather obvious to all of us.[/quote]

I agree, but it seems the answer is not as obvious as we think it should be.

[quote name='havok579257' post='1584347' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:41 PM']I agree, but it seems the answer is not as obvious as we think it should be.[/quote]

I see you failed to respond to my last rebuttal of your argument. ;)

johnnydigit

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1584313' date='Jun 26 2008, 07:16 PM']Y'know, I thought the answer to the topic's question should be rather obvious to all of us.[/quote]

there's a lot, in fact too much that is obvious but we are blind to. that's why we have friends to give us different perspectives on things. that's why we have spiritual directors. millions of light bulbs are going off on top of people's heads when looking at things through God's eyes..

[quote name='havok579257' post='1582159' date='Jun 24 2008, 08:30 PM']I personally think its horrible to give a homeless person a shelter's phone number instead of money.[/quote]

What if it's for a shelter that you support monetarily?

[quote name='havok579257' post='1582159' date='Jun 24 2008, 08:30 PM']How hard is it really to part with your money.[/quote]

Personally, I find it is easy to reach into one's pocket or wallet and give some money; many times, you can time it so that you maybe only lose 10-20 seconds off your walk time to the train station.

What I personally find more challenging and sacrificial is to stop and look them in the eye and actually take about 5-10 minutes off my schedule (perhaps missing my train) to actually take them to a McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. and actually wait while a man orders a sandwich for himself and his son at my expense.

havok579257

[quote name='Alycin' post='1584351' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:48 PM']I see you failed to respond to my last rebuttal of your argument. ;)[/quote]

i must have missed it, i'll go back and see what you said.

havok579257

[quote name='Alycin' post='1584351' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:48 PM']I see you failed to respond to my last rebuttal of your argument. ;)[/quote]

Went back and read it and I did not see a rebuttal, all I saw was a statement. So what are you talking about?

[quote name='Alycin' post='1582625' date='Jun 25 2008, 02:38 AM']I just went back and read EVERY SINGLE POST.

Exactly ONE person said they don't give cash but give the information for a shelter that they have personal experience with. That ONE person also talked about the extensive work they did with the homeless.

So maybe you should change your wording to 'i was specifically talking to the one person out of the 32 people that responded'

;)[/quote]

catholicinsd

The only person I've ever given money to is the homless man with the puppets at the Space Needle.