An Old School Catholic Message Board

Homeless People

rckllnknny

fides quarens intellectum

i think a lot of good ideas/alternatives to giving cash have already been posted.

i just want to add that, while we are obligated to love and help our brothers and sisters, i don't think we are ever obligated to help them sin. Thus, i really like the alternatives presented instead of giving cold cash.

Keep in mind, though, i have seen how proprietors often don't even want the person you are trying to help in their stores and may try to run them out, so if you give them a gift certificate, it can still be hard for them to use it.

I used to give them whatever change I had until our local Catholic Charities person said not to do it because they were usually using it for drugs or alcohol. She told me to give them the contact info for the Catholic charities office since they have a soup kitchen and everything else they need.

So, I have started getting them food. I will go to restaurants and buy them food. You would be shocked how often they refuse food. It is refused nearly 90% of the time. All they want is money.

[quote name='Deb' post='1560493' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:00 PM']I can't not give people money when they ask for it. Heck, they don't even have to be homeless. If someone came up and said they were dying for an expresso and left their wallet at home, I would give them the money. If someone misrepresents themselves or lies to me to get a buck. That is on their conscience and between them and God. I won't take the chance that the person asking me for a buck IS God and I turned them down.[/quote]

That is how I feel too.

[quote name='Madtown Sem.' post='1559684' date='Jun 5 2008, 11:11 AM']A friend of mine in Denver does it the best that I've seen. He has a bunch of $5 McDonald's gift cards in his car. Then you know they are using it on what they really need.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
great idea! thanks! :))

mommas_boy

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1560417' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:11 PM']Actually, that's my next step. What I've also done in the past is to give these coupons that are sold at a down parish that is basiclally a "gift certificate" to local food service places (momma's boy, that's the Chicago Shares coupons available at St.Peter's in the Loop), or I will actually buy them a sandwich. I never give money any more, unless it is to someone who is blind or missing a limb.[/quote]

Cool. Thanks for that reference, Norseman.

i always give money or help to those few who ask it of me. even if i know that i am being screwed over, i cant help it. well, last time i was walking the streets of vancouver i really didnt have any money, but i would not have given if i had, there was too many.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1560801' date='Jun 6 2008, 04:06 AM']i always give money or help to those few who ask it of me. even if i know that i am being screwed over, i cant help it. well, last time i was walking the streets of vancouver i really didnt have any money, but i would not have given if i had, there was too many.[/quote]
I can use a few extra thousand $....

rckllnknny

they wouldnt be asking for it if they dint need it. fortune or not. when i was a kid my mom used to hide the bags of groceries in her car when we went shopping else where and i always told her if they had to go through that much trouble for food they prolly needed it alot more than we did.

rckllnknny

[quote name='Deb' post='1560493' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:00 PM']People always use the example of the guy who made a fortune panhandling. Most true homeles people are pretty obvious in the way they look and dress. The look in their eyes says a lot so always make eye contact with them, if they will let you.

I can't not give people money when they ask for it. Heck, they don't even have to be homeless. If someone came up and said they were dying for an expresso and left their wallet at home, I would give them the money. If someone misrepresents themselves or lies to me to get a buck. That is on their conscience and between them and God. I won't take the chance that the person asking me for a buck IS God and I turned them down.[/quote]

they wouldnt be asking for it if they dint need it. fortune or not. when i was a kid my mom used to hide the bags of groceries in her car when we went shopping else where and i always told her if they had to go through that much trouble for food they prolly needed it alot more than we did.

quote by mercy me/I used to give them whatever change I had until our local Catholic Charities person said not to do it because they were usually using it for drugs or alcohol. She told me to give them the contact info for the Catholic charities office since they have a soup kitchen and everything else they need.

sounds like they pass a lot of judgement along too.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1560864' date='Jun 6 2008, 07:17 AM']I can use a few extra thousand $....[/quote]

sorry Cmom, your going to have to give me at least a semi plausible sob story before i can start the wire transfer.

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1562136' date='Jun 7 2008, 04:11 AM']sorry Cmom, your going to have to give me at least a semi plausible sob story before i can start the wire transfer.[/quote]

cmom donates her time to a message board and she dosn't even have her own computer.

so i guess she sends in all of her replies by snail mail? which is delivered by the starving orphans she cares for because stamps are too expensive?