An Old School Catholic Message Board

Homeless People

rckllnknny

Madtown Sem.

A friend of mine in Denver does it the best that I've seen. He has a bunch of $5 McDonald's gift cards in his car. Then you know they are using it on what they really need.

Yep, I never give people money, because if you give them cash and they are battling a drug or alcohol problem, it will be wasted. Give them food, blankets, things like that...

Galloglasses

I am a sucker for charity.

If I walk past a poor immigrent woman in the streets or a musician playing away for some money, I would feel really guilty if I didn't give them SOMETHING. The guilt remains even when I have no money on me to give at the time.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1559757' date='Jun 5 2008, 07:00 PM']I am a sucker for charity.

If I walk past a poor immigrent woman in the streets or a musician playing away for some money, I would feel really guilty if I didn't give them SOMETHING. The guilt remains even when I have no money on me to give at the time.[/quote]
I'm the same way sometimes, though I usually don't have cash with me. I'm much more likely to offer to get food if someone's pan-handling, though, and to say a prayer.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Madtown Sem.' post='1559684' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:11 PM']A friend of mine in Denver does it the best that I've seen. He has a bunch of $5 McDonald's gift cards in his car. Then you know they are using it on what they really need.[/quote]
Ooh...that's a good idea. I have issues giving them money, but that would work...unless of course they end up using them as a sort of underground currency for less savory things...

Madtown Sem.

in an effort to make this topic a little less serious... one of the best cardboard signs I've ever seen went as follows:

"My wife ran away with my best friend....

need money for a thank you card."

and another just for fun.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Madtown Sem.' post='1559778' date='Jun 5 2008, 02:18 PM']in an effort to make this topic a little less serious... one of the best cardboard signs I've ever seen went as follows:

"My wife ran away with my best friend....

need money for a thank you card."

and another just for fun.[/quote]
:lol:

i tend to give money to the ones with instruments. for one thing, its more likely they are just down on their luck, and not addicted to herion, etc. or else they would have pawned the instrument long ago.

IrishSalesian

i heard from a priest friend of mine that a full time pan handler can make alot of money. On the radio once i heard of a lady who made over $100,000 in Toronto.

CatherineM

I have slips of paper that list where they can get help, with times that free meals are provided. It's hard not to give them money, especially when it is -20 degrees outside. If I don't have my slips with me, I tell them I give my money to the Bissel and Marian Centre (local homeless shelters), and they should go there and get help.

We are having increasing trouble with aggressive panhandlers here, and they have been looking at laws in other places that have helped, including in the US. There was a report out of San Francisco that giving them money is what makes them aggressive in the first place. When we give them money, they start thinking they are entitled to receive it, and then when someone doesn't give them what they feel they are entitled to, they get angry. It's kind of like feeding alligators. When you feel guilty not giving them something, just remember that they might use it for drugs, alcohol, sex, or it just might get aggressive with the next person they see who doesn't give them anything.

You can support the poor and homeless by donating your time and money to charities that take care of them. On the street give them anything but money. We have homeless that live in our alley during the summer months. I buy sacks of buns or bunches of bananas to give out as I run the gauntlet on the way home from church. I also tell them my husband doesn't let me carry cash in this neighborhood, so that they won't be inclined to try to mug me. I hate (don't hate, appreciate) to have to hurt one of them.

Galloglasses

I remember a news report of one panhandler, (Who had a house), went around the City of Belfast and made a couple thousand a week. Reflects well on the generosity, and badly on the naivity of the people themselves, and how bloody smart the guy was XD

On Whyte ave (One of our main streets), there are things that look like parking meters that you can put change in to help the homeless. The money goes to shelters and stuff.

Personally, if I have money I give it. It is not my business what they spend it on once it is gone. I think it is rude to give money to people and then expect to know where it goes. If you give money, you are leaving it to their discretion. It isn't your money anymore at that point.

In any case, I give money and food. Depends on what I have or what I am asked for. I am more likely to give money to someone working for it (musically or selling "Spare Change" newspapers - a newspaper for homeless people to sell)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='1559677' date='Jun 5 2008, 02:06 PM']??[/quote]

Yes.