An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ministry

rckllnknny

rckllnknny

i have a question as in i am curious as in the responses or in opinions of anyones.

if i believed in minsitry was ordained by God. and if i believed in Chrisitanity. and i believed in all denominations were created and meant to be brought together. and if i believed in God. and i believed in working for a better purpose. and i decided or perhaps (even chosen) to preach at different churches or denominations would it seem out of place or unusual to also preach at a Catholic church with the same message and intentions?? and would you agree with it. would it be something you would highly disagree with or something you would even support??

Edited by rckllnknny

Galloglasses

It would be definately unusual, but with the eccumenical movement, I would not be surprised if some parishes allowed it. Don't know how i'd feel having a minister of another denomination preaching at a Mass though.

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='1558122' date='Jun 4 2008, 07:53 PM']what if they believed in catholicism too??[/quote]

What you're describing is called [url="http://www.uua.org/"]Unitarian Universalism.[/url]

However, it would be impossible for someone to truly believe in Catholicism, and also think all other denominations were correct.

rckllnknny

it says you are from ireland??
im pretty irish. my name is RICK ALLEN KINNEY btw. (not richard, just rick)
i know that the history of ireland was primarily compromised of catholic vs. protestant.
correct me if im wrong, but i think the majority is actually catholic. and im not sure how it may differ here. so im not sure if the question is as fair. but anyway, your opinion??

rckllnknny

qoute. alyc
What you're describing is called Unitarian Universalism.

lol. no its not or else i would of said that. it could also be described as interdenominational. jesus preaches in all the churches yesterday as today.

Galloglasses

I refuse to capitulate on 800 years of complicated socio-Religious and political upheavel of Irish History in one post related to a skewed interpretation of the recent 40 year long troubles in Northen Ireland as a Catholic-Protestant fued. Sides its WAY off topic.

For the record, it was not Catholic vrs protestant, it was Nationalist vrs Unionist. Both sides just happened to be made up mostly of each denomination.

And don't push me on this subject, I live in the thick of it, and trust me when I say the vast majority of people, (Included Irish Americans), have no real idea what this country or its history is like.

On topic, it does not matter, I'm not comfortable with a minister from another denomination speaking at a Mass, Unitarian Universalist or not, it does not sit right with me. The Church still veiws the other denominations, (Except Orthodoxy) as heretical, so it still does not sit right with me regardless of what denomination the Minister belongs, or even if he's non-denominational.

Edited by Galloglasses

rckllnknny

qoute.However, it would be impossible for someone to truly believe in Catholicism, and also think all other denominations were correct.

with God anything is possible.

lol. nevermind. i got my answer again. thnx.

rckllnknny

nobody was pushin you. i wasnt being sarcastic. i was trying to get some honest information from you. i am curious also about what goes on or what went on in ireland.
my coat of arms doesnt say irish american on them anyway.
i apologize if i was trying to sound provoking it wasnt my intention at all.

rckllnknny

alyc
it complicated. christians believ in God. correct??
and i asumme unitarian universalists believe in unitarian universalism (as also GOD). but by being defined only by only that label tho too tho.
i know you were trying to help me and stating a fact.
but i already know that. im not mad.
but i guess im having a hard time explaining what i meant by my original question anyway.

Edited by rckllnknny

ardillacid

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1558156' date='Jun 4 2008, 08:02 PM']...

I refuse to capitulate on 800 years of complicated socio-Religious and political upheavel of Irish History in one post related to a skewed interpretation of the recent 40 year long troubles in Northen Ireland as a Catholic-Protestant fued. Sides its WAY off topic.

For the record, it was not Catholic vrs protestant, it was Nationalist vrs Unionist. Both sides just happened to be made up mostly of each denomination.

And don't push me on this subject, I live in the thick of it, and trust me when I say the vast majority of people, (Included Irish Americans), have no real idea what this country or its history is like.
On topic, it does not matter, I'm not comfortable with a minister from another denomination speaking at a Mass, Unitarian Universalist or not, it does not sit right with me. The Church still veiws the other denominations, (Except Orthodoxy) as heretical, so it still does not sit right with me regardless of what denomination the Minister belongs, or even if he's non-denominational.[/quote]
Gallo's right, only priests and deacons may give homilies, and I don't really know when else they would speak at Mass.

Galloglasses

No, but unless you've just immigrated from ireland and are not born in America, you must be at least some generation American Irish, but your family name is Irish.

But the topic takes three thesis to explain in a fair context, (from British, Irish Nationalist, and Irish Unionist point of veiws), and thats alot of typing and would've completely derailed the thread altogether. and your assumption of Irish history being largely Catholc V Protestant was completely wrong and archtypical of people outside Ireland veiwing the troubles.

For the record, I'm an Irish Nationalist.