An Old School Catholic Message Board

Convent-visiting Etiquette

Thomist-in-Training

Chiquitunga

Wow, those are all great ideas! I usually give around $25 each night, and leave it there in the guesthouse with a note, or give it to one of the externs, and then I may send a card later in the mail with a Mass offered for their community, if I remember. That reminds me, I need to request a few. :pray:

Thomist-in-Training

Oh man, I was looking around my room to see if I had anything gift-appropriate and my eye fell on my book with reproductions and notes of Fra Angelico's frescoes at San Marco... it's a great book, I bet they would like that if they don't already have the same sort of thing (along with something else like what you guys suggested). Hmmmmm. I love it though. I'll talk with myself about this for the next few hours...

Thomist-in-Training

Maybe jam (sort of thing) is a better idea because I would know for sure they didn't already have it... if I knew they wouldn't have anything like this it would make more sense. :think:

Caramelonion

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1559771' date='Jun 5 2008, 02:08 PM']Maybe jam (sort of thing) is a better idea because I would know for sure they didn't already have it... if I knew they wouldn't have anything like this it would make more sense. :think:[/quote]

When I was going...I was trying to think of something personal. I considered taking them a book on Texas...and then thought...what are they going to do with a book on Texas? :sadder: I must say that your book idea is much better mine!

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='alicemary' post='1557963' date='Jun 4 2008, 05:30 PM']Money is not always the way to go, and most convents will not want that. If you are going on retreat that is a little different. Most times you do help out when you go to the convent, always seems that sisters are always pitching in for some task and you help too. If this is a vocation thing, then generally, no they do not expect to be paid, unless they tell you up front. I think one hundred dollars is far too much. They understand most young people have no ready money.
Most would be happy if you came armed with a big box of chocolates or stopped at the bakery on the way over and bought a couple dozen baked goods.
If in doubt, you should just speak with the vocation director. They are used to questions and will put your mind at ease.
When I visit my Dominican nuns I come armed with fresh goodies from the bakery, about 2 pounds of different coffee's or teas and a couple whitman samplers. They love it.
If you know the order is as poor as you are, then you might ask about a money donation, but do not feel obligated to give alot. They are very understanding of your predictament.[/quote]

iawtp

Guadalupe23

[quote name='Caramelonion' post='1559418' date='Jun 5 2008, 11:41 AM']Thanks!

I live in Texas and when I visited the monastery, I took several jars of jam made in Texas and I wrapped it all up in bandanas and twine. I figured that was something they could use...If there was something from where you life like the jam that can travel in the car, that may be something kind of personal that they would love. That's just a thought![/quote]

That's a great idea! I'm visiting the Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart on June 20th (totally excited!) They are in California. I'm from Philly so I might bring them a bunch of PHilly pretzels. Sweet idea! Thanks!

too bad you cant bring a hoagie or two!!! Or possibly a coagulated milk steak from Pat's Steaks in South Philly. How about some tastycakes....cant get them in all parts of the country. When I came back to Philly in May, I couldnt wait to get my first pretzel. Its strange when you leave the area what you get craving!!!!

Autumn Dusk

I totally agree with the spending money on treats. The sisters would give the money to missions (many do) but if you bring edible treats they are more likely get to enjoy them themselves. The CFR's joke that a condition for being accepted as a brother is to have a connection to someone who will donate good food on occasion. They're hooked up with bakers and gardeners and even a butcher...so they all get a good steak every now and then!

LilyofSaintMaria

It is usually customary to offer a donation, but I think it would be good of you to send it through the mail after you have left to those who aren't expecting any money. The Sisters in Ann Arbor require 25 dollars from you, but the Carmelites in Ada didn't say a word. We payed the Ann Arbor sisters their $25 and then sent the Carmelites $30 through the mail. I also payed close attention to the Ada sisters and found that they love old prayer cards and are reprinting them off their computer. So I sent them a whole CD full of religious pictures. Doing a thoughtful gift like that I think is a good idea.

Bernadette

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' date='Jun 6 2008, 08:27 AM' post='1560873']
It is usually customary to offer a donation, but I think it would be good of you to send it through the mail after you have left to those who aren't expecting any money.

Good idea, to leave it afterwards. Spares an awkard moment.
Gifts are delightful as an extra, though to be honest, most gifts are recycled. Money on the other hand pays [u]your own expenses[/u] while at the convent. You know, even at home it costs money to host a guest. There is electricity, laundry, soap, wear and tear on sheets, towels etc., food, and yes even toilet paper.

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I had actually never thought of this. I'd like to visit a monastery I visited over Easter again at the end of summer (before I ship out for college), and this monastery runs the high-school I went to (seriously concidering joining those Benedictine men). I'll have to think about this some, but I have to e-mail the Abbot yet, lol! Okay, just musing now.

May God bless and protect you always in all of your endeavors, especially your discernment!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe