An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Should The Priest Say Mass?

Maria Faustina

The Way the Mass is Celebrated  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='StColette' post='1556507' date='Jun 4 2008, 10:12 AM']ROFL!! I think I'm scandalized ROFL![/quote]

:priest_halo:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1557019' date='Jun 4 2008, 07:44 AM']I have nothing against the Ad Orientum, unfortunately I've never been to a Mass where it was done (yet, would like to experience it personally); however, if the 'facing the congregation' direction is gravely inferior, why did His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI celebrate the two public Masses on his Apostolic Journey to the U.S. facing the congregation?

I'm fine with either one.[/quote]

Two possibilities (I'm not an expert):
1. The Pope has, I think, always had the privilege of celebrating Mass facing the people.

2. Celebrating Mass facing the congregation is so enshrined in the popular consciousness that the process of turning things back around is gradual and takes a long time. The Holy Father has celebrated Mass [i]ad orientem[/i] recently, I believe, in the Vatican. Or, well, "recently" - if memory serves correctly it was at the feast of the Lord's Baptism this year, in the Sistine Chapel. Someone correct me on the details.
Anyhows - the point is that if all papal liturgies (which on foreign trips are organised by the host bishops, not the Holy Father, I think) were suddenly changed back to [i]ad orientem[/i] it would just be much too quick. Better to do it gradually with catechsis a'plenty along the way.

Call me stooping down, but I'm fine with either one. The Mass is just as transcending, beautiful, and reverent in either form. :)

This has been discussed before:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=29506"][u]Ad orientam v. Versus populum, which way is proper?[/u][/url]

Edited by Apotheoun

I don't really care where the Priest faces as long as I can receive the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist in a reverent and holy manner. It is what the Priest is saying and doing that is important to me, not where he is facing. My only concern is that it is a valid Eucharist.
I would rather devote any free time I have to praying and giving thanks than being anal about things like this. My Lord seems to be in church every time I attend regardless.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1556369' date='Jun 3 2008, 07:21 PM']We have ladies dressed like that outside our church walking the sidewalk. They're not the church going kind though.[/quote]

I see them in church, but only with their parents.