An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Should The Priest Say Mass?

Maria Faustina

The Way the Mass is Celebrated  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

LouisvilleFan

This question is fundamentally flawed because, unlike the Mass, it's focused on the congregation.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

Maria Faustina

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1556163' date='Jun 3 2008, 04:04 PM']This question is fundamentally flawed because, unlike the Mass, it's focused on the congregation.[/quote]

:blink: Yup, it is focused on the congregation, but I just wanted some opinions.

I don't quite understand why my pastor is changing it suddenly. Facing Ad Orientem is a sacred tradition, and I do think it should be practiced, but was anything illegit or wrong with celebrating the Mass with priest facing towards us?

The Bus Station

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1555726' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:52 PM']Our church faces North.[/quote]

:D I thought this was funny.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1556194' date='Jun 3 2008, 04:38 PM']:blink: Yup, it is focused on the congregation, but I just wanted some opinions.

I don't quite understand why my pastor is changing it suddenly. Facing Ad Orientem is a sacred tradition, and I do think it should be practiced, but was anything illegit or wrong with celebrating the Mass with priest facing towards us?[/quote]
It was a fad that took on an unwarrented life. Your priest has simply gone back to how it is supposed to be.

[quote name='dust (the ultra-handsome' post='1556206' date='Jun 3 2008, 03:47 PM']I think the priest should face away from the lady with the lowcut blouse and hip hugger jeans.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='dust (the ultra-handsome' post='1556206' date='Jun 4 2008, 05:47 AM']I think the priest should face away from the lady with the lowcut blouse and hip hugger jeans.[/quote]

:drool: You attend a different church than me.... :rolleyes:

CatherineM

We have ladies dressed like that outside our church walking the sidewalk. They're not the church going kind though.

[quote name='cappie' post='1556348' date='Jun 3 2008, 06:02 PM']:drool: You attend a different church than me.... :rolleyes:[/quote]

ROFL!! I think I'm scandalized ROFL!

Lisieux Flower

i think i'd feel left out of the mass if the priest did everything with his back to me. but i've never been to a mass where the priest turned away from the congregation. do you ever feel like you're not an active participant?

Madtown Sem.

From what I learned in my Intro to Liturgy class, some confusion came from how St. Peter's Basilica is oriented. Since it faces west, the celebrant would face towards the east and thus towards the people for the Eucharistic prayer, but he was facing ad orientem and even the people would turn to face east with him. Facing the people, it has to be so difficult as a priest to not be the center of the liturgy and direct it towards Christ. That's why it isn't "back towards the people", it's facing toward Christ together, not too mention, I've only been to one Trid. Mass and it was quite obvious that JC was the center of the Mass. My two cents... :)

Last Sunday, our pastor announced that he would begin saying all masses Ad Orientum. This was always the standard way the mass was said, and Vatican II actually did not change this (despite much confusion).

Ad Orientum is not said "back to the people," but leading the people facing God in the Eucharist. Priest and congregation face the same direction - towards God.

I have nothing against the Ad Orientum, unfortunately I've never been to a Mass where it was done (yet, would like to experience it personally); however, if the 'facing the congregation' direction is gravely inferior, why did His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI celebrate the two public Masses on his Apostolic Journey to the U.S. facing the congregation?

I'm fine with either one.