An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pilates

Selah

I know a lot of people have a problem with yoga, but what is your opinion on Pilates? Pilates is a little different, as it has cardio in it as well as streching.

Thanks!

Selah

CatherineM

I think core training is a great idea. Strengthening my stomach and oblique muscles made it possible for me to start walking again after 8 years in a wheelchair. I had such a bad back injury that I wasn't able to stand up straight. I looked like my lower spine was a corkscrew. I didn't consider it to be a religion, although I felt very blessed by God to be able to stand up straight again.

dustthouart

There's no religion in Pilates. It's just like gymnastics or other pure athletic routines. There are no mantras or new age qualities.

Now of course, you may find an individual Pilates instructor who is into New Age stuff, just like your chemistry teacher may be into New Age stuff. But Pilates doesn't have anything intrinsically New Age about it.

I recommend it! :thumbsup:

:yes:

the only spiritually oriented stuff I found regarding pilates talked about having the mind and body be more in sync... there is nothing contrary to Christianity there, we are very much about the mind and body being more in sync. if I were a buddhist I'd probably be against it on those grounds, though :cyclops:

as with all exercise, of course, the cult of the body is to be avoided.

[quote name='dustthouart' post='1549147' date='May 30 2008, 06:39 AM']There's no religion in Pilates. [size=4]It's just like gymnastics[/size] or other pure athletic routines. There are no mantras or new age qualities.

Now of course, you may find an individual Pilates instructor who is into New Age stuff, just like your chemistry teacher may be into New Age stuff. But Pilates doesn't have anything intrinsically New Age about it.

I recommend it! :thumbsup:[/quote]

Gymnastics uses more yoga poses/stretches than that of either dance class or P.E.

[quote name='Deb' post='1549178' date='May 30 2008, 08:13 AM']I prefer to tap dance.[/quote]

I used to love tap dancing. :)

Edited by Alycin

[quote name='Winchester' post='1549246' date='May 30 2008, 09:48 AM']Pilates was invented by Pontius Pilate. That means it's evil.[/quote]

ROFL!

When I first read the title I thought it was about Pontius Pilate lol

Archaeology cat

I did Pilates when I was pregnant, and loved it, as it really helped my back, and helped to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. Unfortunately the only Pilates classes around are for pregnant women, and since I'm no longer pregnant, I'll have to find something else.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1549246' date='May 30 2008, 02:48 PM']Pilates was invented by Pontius Pilate. That means it's evil.[/quote]
:lol_roll:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1549460' date='May 30 2008, 05:57 PM']I highly recommend water aerobics.[/quote]
They don't have that around me, either. Right now I'm looking at Tai Chi, but I know little about it.

Tai chi is a bit complicated. I tried it once, but it takes a lot of fancy footwork

CatherineM

I tried tai chi too, but kept falling down. Guess my body just isn't built for it. When I fall in the pool, the landing is softer.

dustthouart

Tai chi, like yoga, has inherent Eastern religion in it. If you're avoiding yoga for that reason, tai chi is the same deal.

FWIW, I don't think yoga or tai chi necessarily give the occult a claim on your life, if you use only the physical parts and your teacher does the same. But if you're against yoga, you should be against tai chi too.