An Old School Catholic Message Board

Skyrocketing Fuel Prices And Religious Vocations

stlmom

Just wondering if the high cost of fuel these days is changing your approach to discernment. Visiting convents/monasteries closer to home these days? Obviously I'm thinking of the USA where we are abysmally behind in mass transit.

Marieteresa

[quote name='stlmom' post='1541418' date='May 25 2008, 08:10 AM']Just wondering if the high cost of fuel these days is changing your approach to discernment. Visiting convents/monasteries closer to home these days? Obviously I'm thinking of the USA where we are abysmally behind in mass transit.[/quote]

Personally the high fuel costs have put off any visits to convents

DiscerningSoul

If you check bus prices its lower then flying or taking the train, but it takes longer to get there, but worth it.
In terms of my church attendance, I still drive about 45 mins to my home parish each Sunday.
I goto Little Sisters of the Poor once or twice a week, and at least once a week to a church that is an hour away, they have an afternoon Mass, confession, and adoration.
All worth it.
In terms of spending money or going out with friends/ just for fun, I don't do that hardly.
If you think about it, we are discerning a life of proverty. Think of those who don't have a car, or don't have a job, look in other countries where people are eating mud cookies, there are others out there with nothing.
I am thankful for what I do have, and I just have to TRUST in God for EVERYTHING, something in the past I had trouble with.

As far as visiting communities for my discernment, currently I an not planning on visiting any.

$40 tank of gas
20+ miles to church
Visit with God = PRICELESS!!!

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='Alycin' post='1542285' date='May 25 2008, 10:18 PM']I wish I lived somewhere that I could just walk everywhere.[/quote]

Me too.
The bike went to the shop and I can't wait to get it back.
I might be getting an electric bike, but that's a big might.
I want to bike on sunny days to work it's 12 miles round trip.

photosynthesis

When I discerned I mostly stayed in the areas where I lived, so it was mostly with Baltimore, NJ and NYC orders--CFR sisters, Little Sisters of the Poor, Nashville Dominicans (@ Mt. De Sales in MD), Daughters of St. Paul, Summit NJ Dominicans, etc. I kind of lusted after the PCPA's for awhile but I never ended up visiting them.

I'd say you have to pick & choose what orders to visit... there was this really pushy lady from VocationsPlacement.org who really pressured me to fly out to Kentucky to visit this Trappistine order, but I really wasn't sold on the idea because flying is expensive and I couldn't see myself as a Trappistine nun anyway. But if there's a spirituality you're intrigued by and they're not in your area, I guess that can be your only option.

Laudem Gloriae

I have a few places I want to visit so I am saving, working extra shifts and selling lots of things on Ebay!

[quote name='Alycin' post='1542285' date='May 25 2008, 10:18 PM']I wish I lived somewhere that I could just walk everywhere.[/quote]

New York City, Chicago, and Philadelphia are like that (to name a few).

the lords sheep

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1543924' date='May 26 2008, 07:34 PM']New York City, Chicago, and Philadelphia are like that (to name a few).[/quote]

Depends on where you live in said regions... some of them require busing as well.

Anyway...
I can commiserate with the high gas prices, though. It didn't stop me from taking a 3 hour fligh on my last convent visit, but it certainly hurt my bank account more than I would have liked....

In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

fides quarens intellectum

i have absolutely no interest in either of the local communities, so i don't know how i will travel for come and see's when i am ready to start visiting.

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1544910' date='May 27 2008, 01:22 PM']i have absolutely no interest in either of the local communities, so i don't know how i will travel for come and see's when i am ready to start visiting.[/quote]

Pray, be still and listen, let our Lord lead you!

Good Luck and Prayers,

Jessica

nowak.chris

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1543924' date='May 26 2008, 08:34 PM']New York City, Chicago, and Philadelphia are like that (to name a few).[/quote]

<_< Some of them require body armor (pray for philly).

I am luck enough to be discerning with an order 2.7 miles from my front door (well, maybe 2.8 to the monastery, 2.7 is to the parish). Of course, not having a car anyway I don't even follow gas prices :P

Thomist-in-Training

[quote]In terms of my church attendance, I still drive about 45 mins to my home parish each Sunday.[/quote]

Oh, DS, I feel your pain... my parents' church is 10 minutes away, but the TLM church I go to while at school is 13 minutes from school, but 40 minutes each way and $10 of gas roundtrip from my house.

To answer StLMom's question, though, I'm driving up with my family, and then flying back, pretty dang far away for a convent visit. I thought the plane ticket price was pretty good... then a few days later I realized the $189 would have been a pretty good price for a ROUNDTRIP ticket! Oh well.