An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Prots - What Does Eat Flesh And Drink Blood Mean

thessalonian

[quote name='Deb']]That sounds great. May have to pick that up. I am trying to stay out of the Catholic book stores cuz I have no self control. I just keep buying, like a kid in a candy store.[/quote]

AMEN. But that goes for secular, too.

desertwoman

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1554186' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:33 AM']I've been in that place before. Have you been or plan to be in RCIA? I think when you see, as I did, that all of Catholic doctrine forms one complete whole from which nothing can be taken away or added without causing it all to fall apart and become meaningless, you'll realize that if you believe the Eucharist is Christ, you must believe everything the Church teaches.
Of course, you'd have the same issue there, in that you'd have to accept everything the Eastern Orthodox believe. They do have a wonderful faith with beautiful rites and liturgies, but going there simply to receive valid sacraments is the wrong reason.[/quote]

I guess its easier to be Orthodox because I believe some of their main tenants. I have to discuss this later when I have time.

[quote name='kujo' post='1555017' date='Jun 2 2008, 08:16 PM']Scott Hahn has a new book out called [i]Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God[/i] where he debunks what he refers to as "the new atheism." Should be an interesting read.[/quote]
What is this "new atheism"? What's new about it? lawl

LouisvilleFan

I think New Atheism is essentially an evangelical atheism, where they believe it's an atheist's duty not only to reject all forms of faith and religion, but because of the harm they see religion doing in the world, they must also help believers see the "error" of their ways. Hence, they've evolved beyond the "I'm okay, you're okay" attitude of post-modernism, which means they believe in objective, universal Truth. That's always a good starting point, I think.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1556470' date='Jun 3 2008, 08:41 PM']I guess its easier to be Orthodox because I believe some of their main tenants. I have to discuss this later when I have time.[/quote]

Well, the list is pretty short of what's different between Orthodoxy and Catholicism :) Even though I believe Orthodoxy suffers from the loss of the Pope's service of authority, I certainly see the appeal the East offers.