An Old School Catholic Message Board

Organized Religion: Natural Or Unnatural?

carrdero

Autumn Dusk

People desire community and structure. On any basic human level, even with aboriginal people (indians, aborigeenes, mongols) they seek to make a basic unit.

People also seek to define something greater than themselves. Pure atheism is an anomie.

I think human beings tend to seek order in nature. We tend to categorize and dichtomize and characterize...ad nauseum in some cases. It seems built into our brains to approach the world and seek order in it. I don' know why we would expect human spirituality to proceed any differently. Organized religion reflects the increasingly organized state of human society...which in itself seems an extension of the very nature in which we approach our own existence.

Edited by Veridicus

HisChildForever

I think organized religion is completely natural. When I think of the term organized, I think of structure and leadership. Just look at Scripture - Jesus was head of the Apostles (of course), and then the Apostles became leaders over new Christians in Acts. If Jesus encouraged it (i.e., giving Peter high leadership), then it's only natural for us to follow His wishes.

Edited by HisChildForever