An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any One Here Ever Checked In With Opus Dei?

Lounge Daddy

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1554089' date='Jun 2 2008, 07:38 AM']Are reasons for the secretive nature of Opus Dei given?[/quote]

A necessary part of the point of having a secular vocation is to live in the secular world. That means it is necessary to be a part of it (without taking part in the "spirit" of the secular world, which is a different thing entirely). That is why Opus Dei has no habit, no uniform, no emblem, nothing worn on "the sleeve," so-to-speak, that announces that one is a member of Opus Dei.

As soon as some distinction is made, the member becomes separated from the secular world, the way a priest is when he wears a roman collar, or a Franciscan does when wearing the Tau. It's not meant to be "secretive." It's just meant to be a part of the secular world. Any member can say they are a member, it's just not usually necessary. Also, and unfortunately, many people would over-react if someone did say they are a member.

The same way I don't go around telling every one that I am Catholic, or that I have 8 kids, or if my wife is pregnant. It's not necessary, so why should I? And many people would over-react, especially if my wife was pregnant again--so it's not usually worth it.

But the down side is, it's interpreted as "secrecy." There is an emphasis on discretion. But there is nothing currently in Opus Dei that tells its membership to keep their membership a secret.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1557133' date='Jun 4 2008, 08:47 AM']Thanks for posting :)

I haven't read John Allen's book. I'll have to look into it. Thanks![/quote]

The [url="http://www.amazon.com/Opus-Dei-Objective-Controversial-Catholic/dp/0385514492"]John Allen book is fantastic[/url]. It is very objective, and he spends time with critics as well as proponents.

Also, there is a DVD titled Opus Dei: Decoding God's Work. It interviews John Allen. However the DVD is more geared to address Dan Brown's junk that he puts forward in his supposedly "fact-based-fiction."

aalpha1989

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1551632' date='May 31 2008, 11:16 PM']I don't like the secretiveness. They say they aren't secretive, but I read an article that pointed out, "If you want to know who all the Jesuits are working in the diocese of Boston (etc), if you write to somebody, they can send you a list. You can't do that with Opus Dei." I know a woman who is a numerary, though she has never said either that word or "Opus Dei" to me, even though I've been to the center where she lives. I know another man who goes to the TLM that I go to and someone recently told me that he is a member also. I don't know how to tell. Can't ask him, and if I ask a classmate who is from an Opus Dei family and surely knows whether he is, I feel that I can't trust whether I'll get a true answer, after reading that it's forbidden to say whether someone is a member.

Further, this friend also told me that St. Josemaria cried (either that or asked for permission never to say it, I've confused his story & another's) when he heard about the new Form of Mass. Yet Opus Dei says the new Mass, albeit in the most reverent way possible as I hear (and I've been in one of their tiny Oratories, very tasteful) and does not promote the TLM. I don't like it.[/quote]

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1560039' date='Jun 5 2008, 06:02 PM']A necessary part of the point of having a secular vocation is to live in the secular world. That means it is necessary to be a part of it (without taking part in the "spirit" of the secular world, which is a different thing entirely). That is why Opus Dei has no habit, no uniform, no emblem, nothing worn on "the sleeve," so-to-speak, that announces that one is a member of Opus Dei.

As soon as some distinction is made, the member becomes separated from the secular world, the way a priest is when he wears a roman collar, or a Franciscan does when wearing the Tau. It's not meant to be "secretive." It's just meant to be a part of the secular world. Any member can say they are a member, it's just not usually necessary. Also, and unfortunately, many people would over-react if someone did say they are a member.

The same way I don't go around telling every one that I am Catholic, or that I have 8 kids, or if my wife is pregnant. It's not necessary, so why should I? And many people would over-react, especially if my wife was pregnant again--so it's not usually worth it.

But the down side is, it's interpreted as "secrecy." There is an emphasis on discretion. But there is nothing currently in Opus Dei that tells its membership to keep their membership a secret.[/quote]

LoungeDaddy answered even better than i was going to.

As for it being secretive and not being able to find people involved in opus dei in your area, it's really easy. just go to the opus dei website (not sure what it is, but google, it, it's easy to find) and look around until you find a "contact us" or something. That's how I first came into contact with opus dei. A priest sent me an email address about a week later, and then a few weeks later i attended a night of reflection. I had no difficulties at all. If you approach members completely open, there's no secrecy. It's pretty straight forward, once you understand it and have talked to members themselves.

Norseman82

Like any religious group, there are a few bad apples that may ruin it. Just know your faith and watch out for anyone who may be a fringe wacko who may seek to impose personal preferences as a matter of theology.

Since you are married, you most likely will not be living in one of the centers as a numerary, but instead may become a super-numerary.