An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Teachers Overpaid?

Altari

On a...  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1549609' date='May 30 2008, 08:01 PM']I live in Atlanta, and the starting salary for some counties is 40K, and that is still low compared to let's say the Kroger Deli Manager who get's paid 44K. Wow, what an insult to a teacher. Hey guess what, you should be making less than that Deli Manager and putting up with out bratty kids. No thanks. $60K sounds like a great salary for our educators. More power to them![/quote]
GA pays more than FL then (starting salary in Duval County, FL is around $33,000, I think. Or at least it was 2 years ago, and I don't think it's gone up much. Maybe to $35,000 or $36,000)

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1549609' date='May 30 2008, 04:01 PM']Are you kidding me? Is this thread for real? There's actually people out there that think that 45K is a ridiculous amount of money? Hec, I know administrative assistants that make that much and your complaining that a Kindergarten Teacher (which is probably one of the most important jobs in the world) makes the pathetic salary of 45K? Teachers have to put up with so much #$%@ (like this thread for example) and have to literally raise the kids of wanna be mothers and dads. I can't believe there are people out there thinking that teachers are overpaid. Why don't you go try teaching? And while you are at it, go try running a school? Somebody who busts their rear in graduate school and pays their dues in administration for years deserves well close to six figures, which by the way is what normally a really good sales person makes. Overpaid teachers? Oh yeah right, that's why they are always driving those BMWs and sportscars...right.

I live in Atlanta, and the starting salary for some counties is 40K, and that is still low compared to let's say the Kroger Deli Manager who get's paid 44K. Wow, what an insult to a teacher. Hey guess what, you should be making less than that Deli Manager and putting up with out bratty kids. No thanks. $60K sounds like a great salary for our educators. More power to them!

Peace

Kiris[/quote]

The deli mananger dosn't get the job RIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE! thats my issue. Managers often work for 10 or more years before they can get that sort of job.

Winchester

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/uploads/av-6855.jpg[/img]
Storm Shadow called. He wants his outfit back.

Kirisutodo333

[quote name='Winchester' post='1549844' date='May 30 2008, 07:35 PM'][img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/uploads/av-6855.jpg[/img]
Storm Shadow called. He wants his outfit back.[/quote]

Storm Shadow doesn't have a mustache. This is Frank Nero from the 80's Ninja flick "Enter the Ninja", also starring the multi-talented Sho Kosugi.

Kirisutodo333

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1549796' date='May 30 2008, 06:59 PM']The deli mananger dosn't get the job RIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE! thats my issue. Managers often work for 10 or more years before they can get that sort of job.[/quote]

Actually, my brother hooked his Deli Manager job after only five years. He went from deli clerk to manager. And don't forget that teachers also student teach for at least a year (and don't forget the four years of busting their rear in college-it's funny how some people forget that whole part). But that's one of the things a college education is supposed to do, it generally is supposed to get you just a "bit" more money than the non-college educated, that's why you spend so much money on a college education. It's called ROI.

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1549982' date='May 30 2008, 09:37 PM']Actually, my brother hooked his Deli Manager job after only five years. He went from deli clerk to manager. And don't forget that teachers also student teach for at least a year (and don't forget the four years of busting their rear in college-it's funny how some people forget that whole part). But that's one of the things a college education is supposed to do, it generally is supposed to get you just a "bit" more money than the non-college educated, that's why you spend so much money on a college education. It's called ROI.[/quote]

I was comparing undergraduate college degree salaries. People can get lucky and get a manager job but its just that...luck.

Winchester

[quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1549972' date='May 30 2008, 08:30 PM']Storm Shadow doesn't have a mustache. This is Frank Nero from the 80's Ninja flick "Enter the Ninja", also starring the multi-talented Sho Kosugi.[/quote]
Yeah. He wants it back. That means that's not Storm Shadow, just his outfit.
It's still funny.

Winchester

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1550027' date='May 30 2008, 09:10 PM']I was comparing undergraduate college degree salaries. People can get lucky and get a manager job but its just that...luck.[/quote]It's not just luck. It's also how you present yourself. While I don't revere management, it's not always "luck" that gets them their position.

cmotherofpirl

Yep. In a school district it all depends on who you are related to that gets you the job.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1551219' date='May 31 2008, 08:16 PM']Yep. In a school district it all depends on who you are related to that gets you the job.[/quote]

Well that's a sweeping generalization of all school districts...

I know in our school district I can think of exactly three teachers who have had that occur, and all were incompetent. Otherwise, here at least, there's this bidding system based on [b]seniority[/b], where people can lose their jobs for bumping a person with seniority in favor of a relative...which has happened more than once.

samfran08x3

Teachers around here in bossier definatly dont make enough.
some people who are managers at fast food places and ya know jobs that are sorta part time are definatly making more than teachers. our church isnt exactly full of money so our youth ministers dont get paid much but according to what our last youth minister told me. teachers get paid less than she did.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='BG45' post='1551436' date='May 31 2008, 11:27 PM']Well that's a sweeping generalization of all school districts...

I know in our school district I can think of exactly three teachers who have had that occur, and all were incompetent. Otherwise, here at least, there's this bidding system based on [b]seniority[/b], where people can lose their jobs for bumping a person with seniority in favor of a relative...which has happened more than once.[/quote]
It wasn't meant to be a generalization, I was thinking of my school district. Seniority kicks in [supposedly] after you are hired. However when your father is principal or your uncle is on the school board, you can move very quickly from sub to hire whether you can teach or not. Or alternately if your brother is a teacher and a non-teaching position comes up, presto you have a job.

Lisieux Flower

[quote name='FreeSoul' post='1549352' date='May 30 2008, 10:17 AM']Teachers are both underpaid and undervalued.

The vocation of teaching is one a cornerstorne upon which a healthy society is built, without valued education, all of culture is affected. As a legitimate profession, the teacher should be paid at least as much as a doctor. The issue is not compensation, but how to create a culture in which the community (that includes teachers) values and invests in a culture of education.[/quote]

:clap:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1556574' date='Jun 3 2008, 07:35 PM']It wasn't meant to be a generalization, I was thinking of my school district. Seniority kicks in [supposedly] after you are hired. However when your father is principal or your uncle is on the school board, you can move very quickly from sub to hire whether you can teach or not. Or alternately if your brother is a teacher and a non-teaching position comes up, presto you have a job.[/quote]

i don't think it happens like "presto" just like that. but it's like any job, it's definitely good to network and get your name out there... and sometimes it's good to know the right people, because they personally know you and they know that you'll do a great job.