An Old School Catholic Message Board

God As Gender Neutral...

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://www.lep.co.uk/weirdnews/I-believeGod-is-a-man.4095585.jp"]http://www.lep.co.uk/weirdnews/I-believeGo...-man.4095585.jp[/url]

Galloglasses

God is a He as far as Jesus calls Him Our Father and that Jesus Himself is a He.
Other then that I see no real reason why people are confused or even worried about God's gender association.

Especially when it matters very little in the long run.

People only believe God is female or think that its discrimitory to think He is male because of their own esteem and what they want God to be.

God doesn't have a gender. So He is not a Him. He is not a Her. He is not an It. He is a spirit.

Jesus was male. So He is a Him. No neutrality there. Also we use Him as a reference to God as a whole because He is our Father.

Edit: I know I am contradicting myself but God the Father and God the Holy Spirit are spirits and thus are genderless. I think.

Edited by picchick

[quote name='picchick' post='1534694' date='May 20 2008, 11:28 AM']God doesn't have a gender. So He is not a Him. He is not a Her. He is not an It. He is a spirit.

Jesus was male. So He is a Him. No neutrality there. Also we use Him as a reference to God as a whole because He is our Father.
Edit: I know I am contradicting myself but God the Father and God the Holy Spirit are spirits and thus are genderless. I think.[/quote]

There is a difference between gender and sex. Sex is defined by one's genetics and physiological makeup. Obviously though God the Father has no 'sex' because of his absence of physical form. Gender is really more of an associative characteristic that proceeds from our sexual nature, but is somewhat dependent on our social context in relation to other people. For example, many of the 'manly' gender characteristics we uphold in the US are dependent on a man's relationship to a woman or their children. In this sense, I would think that God the Father [i]displays characters of male gender [/i] by his eternal nature, relationship to Mary, and eternal relationship to the Son. The fact that the relationships we can observe with God the Father reveal more of a male gender does not limit God the Father from possessing of expressing characteristics more closely associated with a female gender (compassion, maternal love, etc. etc.)

That's my two cents...it may not be completely in line with what the Church teaches cuz I've never looked into it. Once I do, I'll correct my fallacies!

Ok, if we are talking about gender as in the English language gender of nouns then God must be male. So agreed with you.

God is Father. The Church is Mother Church.

Edited by picchick

CatherineM

When people try that gender neutral stuff in Latin America, they just get a look like a dog that heard a weird noise. When your name for God is Señor, how are you going to neutral that up?

Madame Vengier

God is both Mother and Father, without reference to gender. Gender is a construct for humans and other animals. God is just God. The discussion of gender should not even apply. Since male and female are created in God's image (and not the other way around), then humans are the reflection of the various aspects of the nature of God, with the sole exception of gender since that's for animals only so that we can reproduce. But even human gender has a special uniqueness in the area of reproduction because humans are the only animal that can receive pleasure during the procreative act. Therefore, that too (bonding, physical, procreative love) is a reflection of the characteristics of God. God is not likened to us. We are likened to God. So we can't describe God by using a human construct like gender.

Edited by Madame Vengier

Madame Vengier

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1534819' date='May 20 2008, 01:25 PM']When your name for God is Señor, how are you going to neutral that up?[/quote]

That's not the name for God. That's the name for Lord. Like Our Lord Jesus Christ, or the Lord of Heaven and Earth.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='picchick' post='1534694' date='May 20 2008, 11:28 AM']God doesn't have a gender. So He is not a Him. He is not a Her. He is not an It. He is a spirit.

Edit: I know I am contradicting myself but God the Father and God the Holy Spirit are spirits and thus are genderless. I think.[/quote]

I have heard it said that many spiritual masters and scripture scholars render the Holy Spirit has being of the feminine nature.

KnightofChrist

God should always be referred to in the masculine. This is Church teaching.

Fr. Ripperger has a good talk on this over at [url="http://www.sensustraditionis.org/multimedia.html"]http://www.sensustraditionis.org/multimedia.html[/url]

Title "The Angels" I highly suggest everyone to listen to it.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1534857' date='May 20 2008, 02:04 PM']I have heard it said that many spiritual masters and scripture scholars render the Holy Spirit has being of the feminine nature.[/quote]

That would be heresy, The Church teachings God the Holy Spirit should always be referred to in the masculine.

KnightofChrist

Peter Kreeft also touches on this topic in his talk of why "Only boys can be daddies" or [url="http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio/09_priestesses.htm"]Women and the Priesthood.[/url]

kenrockthefirst

I've been ****-slapped for my distinction between gender and sex in another thread but I'll weigh in here, too. Gender is a linguistic construct that to some extent derives from physiological sex characteristics. In English we don't really worry about it too much because we use a gender-neutral definite article, "the." However, in other languages words have gender associations, e.g. "Das Radio" in German, which for whatever reason has a neuter definite article. However, once we get into pronouns, him, her, it, all bets are off. Jesus is easy, because clearly he was male from a physiological perspective. And since He referred to God as Father, there really isn't too much to get confused about there, either, although "God" referred to Himself as both father and mother in the OT. Jesus also referred to the Holy Spirit as "he," e.g. John 15:26. Problem sorted.

I think of God as a "male" so to speak but I also think that God perfectly encompasses all masculine and all feminine "traits" to create the perfect complete being. Not necessarily gender neutral, but if we are going off the idea that both men and women are created in His image, then I would think that all the good qualities that are unique to each gender can be found in God.

I could be totally off.

Galloglasses

Ok, i'm going to bugger off this topic. For the record, i'm with the God-is-a-male crowd here, but this looks like a powder keg about to go off judging by the stark difference of opinion between Knightec, (whom I agree with) and Madam Venegir, (whom I disagree with).

By the by, this doesn't mean i'm backing down from a confrontation, just gonna wait till the ancillary discussions pass and the genuine debate begins. Then i'll come in with the tank brigade.