An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communal Secular Institutes, Or...secular Religious Communities...?

HopeFloats

VeniteAdoremus

The Emmanuel Community has houses like that. They have a bunch of consecrated sisters, a few consecrated brothers, and priests, in addition to the Emmanuel laity. The consecrated sisters live in community as much as possible, and the priests are also never stationed alone if they can manage it. They all try to keep close, preferably in the same parish.

One can learn more about the Focolare Movement at [url="http://www.livingcitymagazine.com"]http://www.livingcitymagazine.com[/url]. Enjoy!

HopeFloats

Do you know any religious or even secular institutes that are geared towards the younger, at least initially, of course. Like, any religious in college, like...secular colleges? I think a Leaven is needed there more than anywhere else.

littlesister

The Brothers of Hope - Archdiocese of Boston - main focus is campus ministry!
Also St. Paul's Outreach and FOCUS - not institutes per se, but definitely geared towards college and university evangelization.

HopeFloats

Those seem good.

Though I'm not exactly sure that's what I meant. I meant...religious orders or (more likely) secular institutes whose new members are taken mainly from college students in college, while still attending college. A "by young people, for young people" sort of thing, as opposed to older people who provide a campus ministry, I mean...college students who, as it were, "infiltrate" colleges. Or, rather, who remain in their secular college while living together (sort of like a Newman House, I guess, but not just a dorm)...and witnessing to their classmates?

I know this is sort of a big commitment to make in this context. At the same time, Novices are under no vows, and temporary vows could be made yearly for the maximum number of years allowed by canon law before perpetual profession. Not to lessen the gravity of the commitment, but just as a way of understanding that when people are young, things can change, and so not wanting to hold people to any sense of being obliged to stay if they discerned anytime along the way that it's not where they are meant to be.

Edited by HopeFloats

If you speak Spanish and are willing to go to Chile there is the Manquehue movmement - they have degrees of membership - celebates living in common; married people; some in promises some not. Their spirituality is Benedictine and they teach - recently a book was published called 'the Cloister in the World' by Patrick Barry OSB, there are a number of sites both in English and Spanish just type in Manquehue and you will find some.

genesisweavers

The Daughters of the Heart of Mary were founded in the 18th century in France. Because of the French Revolution they were always undercover and not identified as religious. They never wore a habit, they lived in their own apartment or house and they were not called Sister. So today you can be a professed religious Sister in this congregation and not live in a community and hold a secular job.

They also have institutions which belong to the congregation and they are staffed by the religious.

your brother
john