An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation To A Third Order?

Saint Therese

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1527970' date='May 14 2008, 05:46 AM']Do lay Dominicans ever get to wear the habit?[/quote]

Our "habit" in daily life is some sign of the order - a Dominican cross on a chain round our necks, or a lapel badge bearing the Dominican shield or cross.

As has been stated above, we can be buried in the full Third Order habit when we die.

[quote name='rosamundi' date='May 14 2008, 09:52 AM' post='1528313']
Our "habit" in daily life is some sign of the order - a Dominican cross on a chain round our necks, or a lapel badge bearing the Dominican shield or cross. As has been stated above, we can be buried in the full Third Order habit when we die.

Secular Carmelites may;
1. May make vows if one feels called, after a sufficient time of discernment following making "Promises", and with the permission of the Order.
2. Be buried in the full Carmelite habit.
3. Depending on the local community, take a "religious" name, used only within the Order.
4. Daily, as said before, the Holy Scapular [b]IS [/b][u][/u]the habit.

johnnydigit

1. you physically can't be a professed brother or sister (1st/2nd order) - can't handle the prayer, work, or schedule.

2. mentally can't handle 1st/2nd order.

3. extreme circumstances preventing you from 1st/2nd order - taking care of parents, married.

if not, become an oblate! my wish would be for everyone in the world to be an oblate, or 3rd order. married or not, consecration to God is what everyone needs!

[quote name='rosamundi' post='1528313' date='May 14 2008, 08:52 AM']Our "habit" in daily life is some sign of the order - a Dominican cross on a chain round our necks, or a lapel badge bearing the Dominican shield or cross.

As has been stated above, we can be buried in the full Third Order habit when we die.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:) thanks for letting us know!

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1527179' date='May 13 2008, 02:46 PM']i believe i have a calling to the third order dominicans. it seems the dominican saints follow me wherever i go! :topsy: but alas, there is no group nearby, so i just pray and study about the dominican way and saints on my own until a group comes.[/quote]
Maybe you could start one? They have to start somehow.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1528470' date='May 14 2008, 11:19 AM']Maybe you could start one? They have to start somehow.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i asked, and was told no. and honestly, i'm waaaaayyy too busy to start a third order group.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1528653' date='May 14 2008, 05:03 PM']+J.M.J.+
i asked, and was told no. and honestly, i'm waaaaayyy too busy to start a third order group.[/quote]

I know a couple who are Third Order Dominicans, but have not been part of a group for... years because there is not one founded in our Diocese, no one has been helpful in helping them found one, and those that did help them said really crazy stuff against the Church. So they have lived their life privately.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1528867' date='May 14 2008, 06:23 PM']I know a couple who are Third Order Dominicans, but have not been part of a group for... years because there is not one founded in our Diocese, no one has been helpful in helping them found one, and those that did help them said really crazy stuff against the Church. So they have lived their life privately.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
yikes! :ohno: whereabouts, can i ask?

VeniteAdoremus

The architect of our Cathedral was buried in his third order Dominican habit (before they turned funny). I think that's SO cool. :)

johnnydigit

how bout some pics of third order habits? they must be noticeably different from the 1st/2nd order, no? seeing a couple wearing habits and kissing might look startling..

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1530163' date='May 16 2008, 11:33 AM']how bout some pics of third order habits? they must be noticeably different from the 1st/2nd order, no? seeing a couple wearing habits and kissing might look startling..[/quote]

If it doesn't freak you out, here's a pic of the architect I mentioned... who was clothed after his death.
[url="http://www.dominicanen.nl/spaw2/uploads/geschiedenis/Cuypers-doodsbed%20.jpg"]http://www.dominicanen.nl/spaw2/uploads/ge...doodsbed%20.jpg[/url]

So it just looks like the "normal" habit. But then again, I believe "secular" third order members don't wear the habit during their life.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1530163' date='May 16 2008, 11:33 AM']how bout some pics of third order habits? they must be noticeably different from the 1st/2nd order, no? seeing a couple wearing habits and kissing might look startling..[/quote]

Oblates (unless they're claustral, but that's a different kettle of fish) don't wear a habit unless they're dead. Instead they have a small scapular which they may wear under their clothes, or in place of that they may also wear a Benedictine medal.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1530179' date='May 16 2008, 02:32 PM']Oblates (unless they're claustral, but that's a different kettle of fish) don't wear a habit unless they're dead.[/quote]

Really handy... much easier than checking for a pulse :)

Lounge Daddy

I have always found the Franciscans and Opus Dei to have spiritualities that I have found attractive, and I have been discerning a vocation for a few decades now.

I have written in the past, spoken with priests and lay people, and done a lot of reading. Later this summer I plan on meeting some people. I guess I have taken it slow. However I have also been busy with my other vocation: marriage and fatherhood. That said, I believe that one vocation can benefit another and vice versa.

Glad to see others here who feel they may have a possible vocation to a secular order, or prelature. Any one else reading this thread considering Opus Dei?

• 2 weeks later...
Saint Therese

I think it would be a great witness as a lay person to be able to be allowed to wear the Dominican habit. I think that would be something that is needed today,a visible sign of LAY people consecrated for service and prayer.