An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is The Mark Of The Beast

JesusIsMySuperHero

What do you think  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1524613' date='May 10 2008, 11:54 PM']I think constantly studying the book of Revelation outside of a scholastic environment is a good way to fry your brain.[/quote]

Agreed! It's fascinating and all, but very mysterious and meant to be so for a reason. Since Sacred Scripture encompasses all time--past, present and future--Revelation belongs to the future. We cannot figure out the meaning of it now now matter how hard we would try. It's an excercise in futility.

Brother Adam

Not at all. The book of revelation is actually fairly easy to understand if you know how to study scripture. Here are two great books: [url="http://www.amazon.com/Lambs-Supper-Mass-Heaven-Earth/dp/0385496591/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210512005&sr=8-1"]The Lamb's Supper[/url]
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Soon-Unlocking-Revelation-Applying/dp/193101826X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210512090&sr=1-1"]Unlocking the Book of Revelation[/url]

If you try to take the book literally or chronologically your going to end up a mess.

Autumn Dusk

Err wait. The moon "turns" orangy-red all the time...I've seen it. Especially in Maine/Canada/Vermont. Its partly due to nature partly due to the air pollution that was caused by ohio's factory and blew in the jet stream over to us.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1524760' date='May 11 2008, 10:22 AM']Not at all. The book of revelation is actually fairly easy to understand if you know how to study scripture. Here are two great books: [url="http://www.amazon.com/Lambs-Supper-Mass-Heaven-Earth/dp/0385496591/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210512005&sr=8-1"]The Lamb's Supper[/url]
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Soon-Unlocking-Revelation-Applying/dp/193101826X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210512090&sr=1-1"]Unlocking the Book of Revelation[/url]

If you try to take the book literally or chronologically your going to end up a mess.[/quote]

Yeah, it's really an amazing book that radically altered my perception of mass and Scripture as a whole.

That being said, I think that the "666" is the devil's way of mocking God. The number 6, if I'm not mistaken, represented incompletion, for God completed His creation of the world and its inhabitants in 6 days, while resting on the 7th. The devil refuses to accept God as Lord and thus will not make a sabbath day to honor Him, thus being stuck in perpetual incompletion (6th day).

Anyone else hear of this theory before?

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1524726' date='May 11 2008, 04:33 AM']I'm pretty convinced it's Tom Cruise.[/quote]

Haha. That's great. I mean he CAN fly and shoot fireballs out of his eyes...but I don't think enough people seriously.

I feel like all this hooplah over trying to figure out who the antichrist is (Left Behind Series comes to mind) seems more like propaganda or a way to sell books, and less about theology. While I'm sure there is great typology within scripture over the 666 in the New/Old Testaments, I just feel like antichrist is the here and now in each of us. I feel like its the philosophical mindset of my entire generation: self-worshiping, relativistic, secular humanism. So many people from my generation have just thrown a relationship with God on the wayside and devote their entire lives to self-adornment and self-promotion. My generation will not bow to any authority that won't pay us off and will flip the bird to anyone who tries to stifle our individual expression...and somehow we all think we can be right simultaneously. Anyway, I just feel like if we tried to spend too much time looking ahead or behind for a big 'antichrist' figure (like RONALD REAGAN!!!!!!), then the real antichrist in each of us is completely obscured by our wanting to label someone else. That's my two cents.

[quote name='kujo' post='1524859' date='May 11 2008, 11:19 AM']Yeah, it's really an amazing book that radically altered my perception of mass and Scripture as a whole.

That being said, I think that the "666" is the devil's way of mocking God. The number 6, if I'm not mistaken, represented incompletion, for God completed His creation of the world and its inhabitants in 6 days, while resting on the 7th. The devil refuses to accept God as Lord and thus will not make a sabbath day to honor Him, thus being stuck in perpetual incompletion (6th day).

Anyone else hear of this theory before?[/quote]

Lamb's Supper was a phenomenal book. Yeah I've heard that, too. It's like making a Trinity of what is 'almost' as perfect as God. If the 7th day represents perfection in creation, then the 6th day...'humanity's day' becomse a celebration of self at the expense of considering the perfection of the whole. Kinda goes along with what I said in my last post, antichrist to me is the rejection of God and the celebration and divinization of self. There may be other typology and theology that goes beyond this, but this is how I make the most meaning of it all in my own life.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1524469' date='May 11 2008, 11:56 AM']its Johnny Depp[/quote]
My money's on Britney Spears. I mean, who would ever guess that the anti-Christ would be a woman?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1524726' date='May 11 2008, 06:33 AM']I'm pretty convinced it's Tom Cruise.[/quote]
nah, Oprah and her new-age religion fits better.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1524975' date='May 11 2008, 12:38 PM']nah, Oprah and her new-age religion fits better.[/quote]

Uhhhh, do you know anything about Scientology? Cereally, it's crazy as he-ll. And creepy, very creepy. Oprah's just a typical pluralist who thinks "all roads lead to wherever". But Scientology is seriously some occultish stuff. And it ruins people's lives. People have committed suicide, wound up in psychiatric hospitals, and lost contact with their families over Scientology.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1524977' date='May 12 2008, 03:41 AM']Uhhhh, do you know anything about Scientology? Cereally, it's crazy as he-ll. And creepy, very creepy. Oprah's just a typical pluralist who thinks "all roads lead to wherever". But Scientology is seriously some occultish stuff. And it ruins people's lives. People have committed suicide, wound up in psychiatric hospitals, and lost contact with their families over Scientology.[/quote]
Britney looks awfully occultish in you av. Evil, evil girl.

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1524872' date='May 11 2008, 01:29 PM']Lamb's Supper was a phenomenal book. Yeah I've heard that, too. It's like making a Trinity of what is 'almost' as perfect as God. If the 7th day represents perfection in creation, then the 6th day...'humanity's day' becomse a celebration of self at the expense of considering the perfection of the whole. Kinda goes along with what I said in my last post, antichrist to me is the rejection of God and the celebration and divinization of self. There may be other typology and theology that goes beyond this, but this is how I make the most meaning of it all in my own life.[/quote]

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. You can study this stuff all your life and find all these little typological connections, but this is the one that applies most to my life as well.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='kujo' post='1524859' date='May 11 2008, 11:19 AM']Yeah, it's really an amazing book that radically altered my perception of mass and Scripture as a whole.

Anyone else hear of this theory before?[/quote]

No, actually I haven't.

Can you give me some links for me to read about it.

I'm still pretty well convinced it means Man makes himself God, because if you see things in that light, there are several things that I would immediately stand against, because Man is making himself God. Like why the hell do we need thousands upon millions of video cameras videotaping everything we do 24-7, when it's God job to watch the nations? Why do we need some guy to print off money for our nations, when God says he can pour out a blessing we can't hope to contain? Why do we need to do genetic manipulation to cure genetic disease, when it is God's job to form in the womb? Why should men and women practicing Buddhism meditate their dark stains of evil actions away, when God sent his son who died on the cross for our sins to be forgiven?

All of these things that are prevading into our society are slowly taking away our reliance on God, and turning it over to men! We are being seduced by Satan, oh give Buddhism a try, its all good, and genetic manipulation is okay because it ends suffering, and having mr. Rothschild and Rockefeller control your economies is good because it prevents inflation, and video cameras keep you safe! After all, Satan's first promise was that would be as God. That's what he wants us to do, to be just like God!

All of these are abhorrent to me, as I am a firm believer God is God, I am man, and I shouldn't interfere in the way God does things!

Edited by JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1525003' date='May 11 2008, 03:03 PM']No, actually I haven't.

Can you give me some links for me to read about it.[/quote]

A good place to start is by reading the book we are referring to, [url="http://www.amazon.com/Lambs-Supper-Mass-Heaven-Earth/dp/0385496591/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210529142&sr=8-1"][u]The Lamb's Supper[/u][/url].

I will have to dig up some other stuff online later on. You [i]really[/i] oughta read that book, though. Changed my life, dude.

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1525003' date='May 11 2008, 03:03 PM']I'm still pretty well convinced it means Man makes himself God, because if you see things in that light, there are several things that I would immediately stand against, because Man is making himself God. Like why the hell do we need thousands upon millions of video cameras videotaping everything we do 24-7, when it's God job to watch the nations? Why do we need some guy to print off money for our nations, when God says he can pour out a blessing we can't hope to contain? Why do we need to do genetic manipulation to cure genetic disease, when it is God's job to form in the womb? Why should men and women practicing Buddhism meditate their dark stains of evil actions away, when God sent his son who died on the cross for our sins to be forgiven?

All of these things that are prevading into our society are slowly taking away our reliance on God, and turning it over to men! We are being seduced by Satan, oh give Buddhism a try, its all good, and genetic manipulation is okay because it ends suffering, and having mr. Rothschild and Rockefeller control your economies is good because it prevents inflation, and video cameras keep you safe!

All of these are abhorrent to me, as I am a firm believer God is God, I am man, and I shouldn't interfere in the way God does things![/quote]

I think you and I will end up agreeing on a lot of thing because we share similar libertarian views on stuff; however, I think you are a bit more radical than I am. I believe in pragmatism which informs my libertarianism. So, when you say that constant surveillance is unGodly or that money is unnecessary because God can take care of everything, I have to disagree with you. You and I are both Godly folks and not doing anything wrong. So what if the government or anyone else wants to observe us? In my case, they'll be observing a big, hairy dude stumbling through life trying not to fall on his face. And money is necessary because it allows economies to function. In an ideal world, sure we wouldn't need money or property because we'd all share and make sure each other's needs are met. But this ain't the ideal world, my friend.

Again, I agree in principle that less government allows man to be more free, which, in turn, allows him to fulfill God's plan; however, we have to govern and protect ourselves.

dominicansoul

John [b]6:66[/b]

This verse describes the disciples who no longer followed Jesus because they refused to believe in the Holy Eucharist.

Those who refuse to accept this gift from Jesus are the anti-Christ. Most especially those who say they believe in Jesus and create their own "churches" teaching their own versions of the Bible and promoting their own image of Jesus, all the while denying the Eucharist...these are the false prophets of the anti-Christ, because they make it more confusing and more difficult for those who are truly seeking the Lord.

Edited by dominicansoul

HisChildForever

I have heard this one theory where the "mark of the Beast" is taking the mark of the leader of the world, or the Antichrist (this theory says there is only one). The mark is actually a chip that is injected under your skin in either your hand or forehead, and it is basically this mega credit card and ID and a bunch of other goodies all rolled into one.