An Old School Catholic Message Board

Being Anti-gay Marriage = Against Minority Rights?

Paladin D

I apologize if this has already been brought up.

How does one respond to the accusation, that those who are against gay marriage (like myself) are similar to those who were against equal rights for minorities back in the day (U.S.)? I know one is racial, while the other is based on sexual orientation, but the principle (according to the accusers) is the same. How does one respond to this?

Thanks in advance.

JesusIsMySuperHero

I'm a Libertarian, so I would also say something like this. I don't agree with Same Sex Marriage, but at the same time, if preachers want the right to say its wrong, we have to give people the right to do that. Same Sex is not godly, but God gives us the right to follow or not to follow him. Why should we legislate morality? As long as its not a crime against property or self, such as stealing, murder, or injuring a person with the intent to harm, I don't think we should be legislating it, just as much as I think it Marijuana sales legalized.

Let sinners be sinners. I am a firm advocate that a sinner is the best person to convert to faith in Christ!

So, I do think anti-gay marriage = against minority rights. If we can say its wrong, they should have the right to do that wrong thing.

I know this will not make me a popular person in this board, but if God allows them to make that choice, who am I to say they shouldn't make the wrong choice by legislating it!

Edited by JesusIsMySuperHero

Winchester

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1523702' date='May 10 2008, 12:16 AM']Let sinners be sinners. I am a firm advocate that a sinner is the best person to convert to faith in Christ![/quote]You're a sinner, too, hopscotch.

Just like me.

I'm still followed in stores and not taken seriously when I want to buy a truck.

If they want to bring that up, I'd say we're not finished yet on minority rights. ;)

On a serious note, you've got to know who your talking to as well. Do they believe in God?

Are they atheist?

Are they Catholic?

I'll definitely post more tomorrow or PM you.

Oh, and I'm a sinner too. :mellow:

goldenchild17

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1523695' date='May 9 2008, 11:06 PM']I apologize if this has already been brought up.

How does one respond to the accusation, that those who are against gay marriage (like myself) are similar to those who were against equal rights for minorities back in the day (U.S.)? I know one is racial, while the other is based on sexual orientation, but the principle (according to the accusers) is the same. How does one respond to this?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Alan Keyes, an independent (currently) presidential candidate (and also African-American) addressed this very question:

"In terms of civil rights discrimination, it is wrong to treat sexual orientation like race, for race is a condition beyond the individual's control. Sexual orientation, however, involves behavior, especially in response to passion.

If we equate sexual orientation and race, we are saying that sexual behavior is beyond the individual's control and moral will. We cannot embrace such an understanding of civil rights without denying the human moral capacity, and with it the fitness of human beings for life in a free society.

The effort to equate homosexual and lesbian relations with legal marriage represents a destructive assault on the heterosexual, marriage-based family."

The principle is not the same. One has no choice in regards to one's race. Yet one does have a choice when it comes to acting upon a sinful sexual tendency. Whether or not one is born with such a sexual tendency (and thus has no choice in this regards), one does have the choice as to whether or not (s)he is going to ACT upon that sin. That is fully within anyone's control. Thus the two are not comparable.

Edited by goldenchild17

[quote][b]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/b]
[b]2358[/b] The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. [u]This inclination, [b]which is objectively disordered[/b], constitutes for most of them a trial[/u]. [b][u]They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity[/u][/b]. [b]Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided[/b]. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
( [url="http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2358.htm"]http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2358.htm[/url] )[/quote]The difference between a governmental body not illegalizing certain ill-moral behaviors and institutionalizing them ([i]either passively or actively[/i]) are two different matters all together.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

This is one instance where I agree with Ron Paul and think the easiest solution would be to get rid of state recognition of marriage all together.

CatherineM

It is considered a violation up here to talk out against gay marriage. It's considered hate (don't hate, appreciate) speech. I think about the only non-morality/sin argument that you can make is that legal, civil marriage was originally meant to avoid issues related to illegitimacy of children, and inheritance. Since illegitimate children are not a concern of homosexuals, it isn't the same as an inter-racial marriage argument.

Norseman82

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1523695' date='May 10 2008, 12:06 AM']I apologize if this has already been brought up.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Gay marriage is not a skin color, it is a behavior that one chooses.

Additionally, if someone presses you, carry it to its logical conclusion and ask if they are willing to give pedophiles, polygamists, and people who live incestuously equal rights.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='picchick' post='1523726' date='May 10 2008, 01:01 AM']Nevermind...I am tired as all get out.[/quote]

Excellent point. :lol:

It's not the same as minority rights because you're not denying any basic human right.

Of course, the deeper issue may be that marriage itself loses its meaning and purpose in a secular society.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1523903' date='May 10 2008, 09:35 AM']It is considered a violation up here to talk out against gay marriage. It's considered hate (don't hate, appreciate) (don't hate (don't hate, appreciate), appreciate) speech. I think about the only non-morality/sin argument that you can make is that legal, civil marriage was originally meant to avoid issues related to illegitimacy of children, and inheritance. Since illegitimate children are not a concern of homosexuals, it isn't the same as an inter-racial marriage argument.[/quote]

Are you meaning legalisticly, or just emotionally (the hate (don't hate, appreciate) speech thing)? I know the Western Catholic Reporter has has several articles against it, and Bishops from around the province have addressed the issue (Although I am not sure that Archbishop Smith has yet). As far as I know, there were never any charges or anything.

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1523913' date='May 10 2008, 10:42 AM']Gay marriage is not a skin color, it is a behavior that one chooses.

Additionally, if someone presses you, carry it to its logical conclusion and ask if they are willing to give pedophiles, polygamists, and people who live incestuously equal rights.[/quote]

Every time a Christian compares a gay person to a pedophile, we do ourselves an incredible disservice. While yes, both these things are sexual disorders, so to speak, a pedophile who acts on his passions always, 100% of the time, takes advantage of an unwilling, non consenting, innocent child who is the victim of a terrible, terrible crime. Two gay people in a consensual relationship... you CANNOT compare the two.

yup, no better way to come off as a jerk than to compare those. its like saying catholicism is the same as scientology because they are both religions.

KnightofChrist

There is a great link between the two. Homosexual men account for less than three percent of the US male population. However, homosexual men commit one third or more of pedophiliac acts on children.

Edited by KnightofChrist