An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Cafeteria Is Closed Blog

Lil Red

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1525758' date='May 12 2008, 12:06 PM']+J.M.J.+
just found this:

[url="http://vox-nova.com/2008/04/04/two-round-center-mass/#comment-17696"]http://vox-nova.com/2008/04/04/two-round-c.../#comment-17696[/url][/quote]

I don't know about you all, but I read that THREE TIMES and can't decipher a dern thing from it. Writing was never his strong suit.

But I think one thing he said was he supports gay adoption...based on his wife's work...and the experience of friends. ?????

+J.M.J.+
1. he picked the name for the blog because it was a good phrase (witty remark),
2. when he picked it, he didn't realize that he would disagree with bishops regarding civil unions for those with SSA or gay adoption
3. he is in favor of adoption of children by those with SSA (based on wife's work)
4. he is in favor of civil unions for those with SSA (based on friends)
5. he freely admits that because he disagrees with the bishops about those with SSA, he is a 'Cafeteria Catholic'.

this is how i read it.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1525974' date='May 12 2008, 09:08 PM']+J.M.J.+
2. when he picked it, he didn't realize that he would disagree with bishops regarding civil unions for those with SSA or gay adoption
3. he is in favor of adoption of children by those with SSA (based on wife's work)
5. he freely admits that because he disagrees with the bishops about those with SSA, he is a 'Cafeteria Catholic'.

this is how i read it.[/quote]
That's how I read it, as well.

goldenchild17

I dunno what the problem is really. I think however people want to make their money is fine with me. If he doesn't want a 9-5 and can support his family through his blog and eventually his new business, then if that is what he really enjoys then more power to him.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1525974' date='May 12 2008, 05:08 PM']+J.M.J.+

So we're all "Closed Cafeteria Catholics" til Our Lady of the Hairnet throws something on our plate that we don't like?

Edited by LouisvilleFan

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1526054' date='May 12 2008, 02:47 PM']So we're all "Closed Cafeteria Catholics" til Our Lady of the Hairnet throws something on our plate that we don't like?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i'm sorry, :unsure: i don't understand what you mean. could you clarify? :)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1526061' date='May 12 2008, 05:56 PM']+J.M.J.+
i'm sorry, :unsure: i don't understand what you mean. could you clarify? :)[/quote]

It was sarcasm directed towards this self-proclaimed Closed Cafeteria Catholic who literally wanted to build a career blasting Cafeteria Catholics... until the bishops give him something he doesn't like.

Suddenly, humility ain't so much fun.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1526108' date='May 12 2008, 03:35 PM']It was sarcasm directed towards this self-proclaimed Closed Cafeteria Catholic who literally wanted to build a career blasting Cafeteria Catholics... until the bishops give him something he doesn't like.

Suddenly, humility ain't so much fun.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
oh, okay. :unsure: gotcha.

When I first started reading his post, I was thinking, "What's all the fuss about?" I didn't find much that was factually incorrect until I got here.

"This difference is certainly a handicap but it [u]doesn't make successful relationships impossible[/u]. Since [u]the orientation is not a choice[/u], only the actions are, this insight doesn't do gays much good, it's about the same as pointing out the lack of vision to a blind person."

"an unmarried straight couple that's not celibate isn't 'enslaved' to sex" (I can see where he is coming from in differentiating between sexual addiction, where sex becomes compulsive, but, the way I see it, the couple is still enslaved to sin. So I disagree with him on that.)

"No one makes blind people feel guilty. The same should go for people with an orientation that's different from what's regular."

He is obviously operating from the standpoint that homosexuality is never a choice, which I find odd, since that hasn't been proven or disproven. However, even if it WERE true, comparing a blind person to a gay person is crazy. Far as I can tell, blind people are not more likely to commit immoral acts because of their blindness.

A person who struggles with SSA but wants to, and is trying to, live a moral and chaste life is much different than someone who lives a homosexual lifestyle openly and freely. The latter should feel guilt. Healthy guilt* is what lets us know that we're doing something wrong. The former should not be made to feel guilty simply because he has unwanted struggles with a particular sin.

*as opposed to unhealthy guilt or shame. (sorry for the therapy-speak. ;) )

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1525974' date='May 12 2008, 03:08 PM']+J.M.J.+

Thanks. What a hypocrite. All this time screaming about orthodoxy and castigating unfaithful priests, bishops, politicians, you name it. Now look at him. Can't even figure out something as simple as gays have no business raising children OR being "married"...civilly or otherwise.

Actually, if I was going to have a crisis of faith it would never be over something so obvious as homosexuality or abortion, things like that.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1526108' date='May 12 2008, 04:35 PM']It was sarcasm directed towards this self-proclaimed Closed Cafeteria Catholic who literally wanted to build a career blasting Cafeteria Catholics... until the bishops give him something he doesn't like.

Suddenly, humility ain't so much fun.[/quote]

Hiiiiiiiiiyoooooo! Ironic, isn't it???

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1526150' date='May 12 2008, 04:29 PM']Thanks. What a hypocrite. All this time screaming about orthodoxy and castigating unfaithful priests, bishops, politicians, you name it. Now look at him. Can't even figure out something as simple as gays have no business raising children OR being "married"...civilly or otherwise.

Actually, if I was going to have a crisis of faith it would never be over something so obvious as homosexuality or abortion, things like that.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
unfortunately, it sounds like his wife's job and his friends have influenced him for the worse, in this aspect.

and what would you have a crisis of faith over?

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1526153' date='May 12 2008, 05:31 PM']+J.M.J.+
unfortunately, it sounds like his wife's job and his friends have influenced him for the worse, in this aspect.

and what would you have a crisis of faith over?[/quote]

It does sound that way, doesn't it? And that whole thing about "experiences of friends" is a classic. So, because the people we love seem to be so happy and functional in their sin, that makes it okay? It's really a backwards way of thinking.

Crisis of faith? For me? It would be over the general--and often overwhelming--unfairness of life.

Edited by Madame Vengier

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1526173' date='May 12 2008, 04:49 PM']It does sound that way, doesn't it? And that whole thing about "experiences of friends" is a classic. So, because the people we love seem to be so happy and functional in their sin, that makes it okay? It's really a backwards way of thinking.

Crisis of faith? For me? It would be over the general--and often overwhelming--unfairness of life.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i see the 'experience of friends' thing as compassion on steroids. ya know? you see them 'suffering', you want to help them with their pain. problem being you usually just become an accomplice in their sinful lifestyle.

that's interesting about unfairness of life. the crisis of faith for me would be about how priests who abuse little children can validly confect (not sure if this is the right word) the Sacraments.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1526173' date='May 12 2008, 06:49 PM']So, because the people we love seem to be so happy and functional in their sin, that makes it okay? It's really a backwards way of thinking.[/quote]

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1526186' date='May 12 2008, 06:56 PM']i see the 'experience of friends' thing as compassion on steroids. ya know? you see them 'suffering', you want to help them with their pain. problem being you usually just become an accomplice in their sinful lifestyle.[/quote]

Agreed, on both counts.

I honestly think that this is one of the most deceptive tricks the devil has been able to play on humanity--to make people believe that "love" means never hurting feelings, when really, true love is CHRIST and anytime we aren't directing our loved ones to Christ, we are doing them a terrible disservice! :(

Enabling is NOT love!