An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Does It Mean To Be A Good American Citizen?

The Bus Station

The Bus Station

I wrote a research paper on this last week for my AP English class, and the question didn't really spark my interest until after I handed the thing in :rolleyes: we had to present two sides of the argument and a compromise. For the two general sides, I put side A as being those who feel their duty is to actively try to change what they don't like about their government, and for side B, I put those who feel their duty is to support their country's decisions regardless of personal opinion. My compromise for what both sides could agree makes someone a good citizen is exercising the right to vote. I'm not so much interested in debating, but I would very much appreciate reading your personal opinions on the matter (not in relation to my paper, just your opinion). Thanks.

CatherineM

A good citizen obeys the laws, pays their taxes, serves on jury duty when their turn comes, stays informed about the issues and votes their conscience, and tries to be a good neighbor. It doesn't mean that you have to agree with everything the government decides.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1520162' date='May 6 2008, 12:25 AM']A good citizen obeys the laws, pays their taxes, serves on jury duty when their turn comes, stays informed about the issues and votes their conscience, and tries to be a good neighbor. It doesn't mean that you have to agree with everything the government decides.[/quote]

What she said.

JesusIsMySuperHero

A good citizen of a country keeps his leaders accountable for their actions/inactions. A good citizen of a country reminds people, our elected officials work for us, and shouldn't use archaic and abusive forms of control to make us do what they want. A good citizen of a country actively gets involved in the political process by reviewing all things that have a negative impact on the lives of everybody around them, and starts asking the tough questions, like why the government would accept a hugely communistic idea like free trade, central banking, and income tax!

cmotherofpirl

I also think that a good citizen tries to give service back to his country at some point in their life.

fides quarens intellectum

i watched the first half of a special on Bush Senior last night on PBS, and apparently, being a good citizen means accepting an appointment from your president, even if you don't want the job. Just in case you are ever asked.