An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Think Of The Ascension Feast Being Moved To Sunday?

White Knight

I can't stand the idea of Feast Days being moved. It promotes a further degradation of Catholic culture.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='SJP' post='1522538' date='May 8 2008, 06:51 PM']I can't stand the idea of Feast Days being moved. It promotes a further degradation of Catholic culture.[/quote]
Our Catholic culture subsists in a largly protestant nation who doesn't give a fig about religous feasts.

Apotheoun

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1519892' date='May 5 2008, 05:58 PM']So, what do most parishes do for the Ascension? I didn't notice anything different or special. The homily touched on three points related to Jesus' Ascension, but didn't go into any detail or really drive anything home. Not that expect better.[/quote]
A good homily is important, but so is the integrity of the sanctoral cycle.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1522784' date='May 8 2008, 10:12 PM']A good homily is important, but so is the integrity of the sanctoral cycle.[/quote]

And if a few priests could preach good homilies, maybe a few laypeople would know what the heck a sanctoral cycle is.

Norseman82

Here's my question:

For those who normally attend the TLM/Extraordinary Form masses, which readings were used last Sunday? Did they read the readings/prayers from Ascension Thursday like in the Novus Ordo? One reason I asked is that that when I checked the bulletin of a prominent TLM parish, they mentioned that the Wednesday evening Mass fulfilled the Holy Day of Obligation, but here in Chicago it was supposedly moved to Sunday? Or is it still a HDO in the Tridentine Rite?

Edited by Norseman82

LouisvilleFan

I attended Tridentine Mass that Sunday and they did the readings for Ascension Day. And, as I stated before, the priest spent about half the homily explaining why people needn't get their undies in a wad over it.

Were these two parishes in different dioceses? Could be that in the Tridentine Rite you can fulfill the obligation on either date.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

The Roman Church should simply move all of its feast days to Sunday and be done with it. Then the destruction of the Western liturgical tradition will be complete.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1524230' date='May 10 2008, 03:36 PM']The Roman Church should simply move all of its feast days to Sunday and be done with it. Then the destruction of the Western liturgical tradition will be complete.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:huh: how are comments like this at all helpful? :ohno:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1524585' date='May 10 2008, 10:32 PM']+J.M.J.+
:huh: how are comments like this at all helpful? :ohno:[/quote]
They are a salient warning about ongoing liturgical decay.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1524676' date='May 11 2008, 02:50 AM']They are a salient warning about ongoing liturgical decay.[/quote]

As is the evacuation of cradle Catholics to Protestantism or out of Christianity altogether is a salient warning about ongoing homiletical decay.

Autumn Dusk

Feast days being requirements are still a somewhat "modern" invention. Until the 1800's even weekly mass (unless you lived in a large city) was unheard of. The people were faithful, devoted people who were really "CEO" catholics...but time, lack of money and other things made them unable to attend most weeks.
Feast days, that drove people to church, were often those days (or day) celebrating a saint a person had a certian affinity to, or was otherwise associated with...such as they lived in Spain so they celebrated a spanish saint.

Edited by Autumn Dusk

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1525451' date='May 11 2008, 08:59 PM']Feast days being requirements are still a somewhat "modern" invention. Until the 1800's even weekly mass (unless you lived in a large city) was unheard of. The people were faithful, devoted people who were really "CEO" catholics...but time, lack of money and other things made them unable to attend most weeks.
Feast days, that drove people to church, were often those days (or day) celebrating a saint a person had a certian affinity to, or was otherwise associated with...such as they lived in Spain so they celebrated a spanish saint.[/quote]
In the Byzantine tradition there are no liturgical "days of obligation" in a juridical sense. Nevertheless, the dominical and sanctoral cycle has never been relegated to Sundays. In fact, all of time has been sanctified by the incarnation of the Logos, and that truth is reflected in the Church's liturgical worship.

Edited by Apotheoun

goldenchild17

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1524676' date='May 11 2008, 01:50 AM']They are a salient warning about ongoing liturgical decay.[/quote]

I'd be willing to argue (though I won't because it's probably against forum rules yet again :). Just mentioning it) that there are many liturgical abuses occurring in the Eastern Tradition as well. Different from what's occurring in the West because the practice is different, but abuses nonetheless.

Yes, liturgical problems are also beginning to affect the Byzantine Catholic Churches. In fact, recently the Ruthenian Church issued a new revised divine liturgy that removed some Latinizations, which was a welcome change, but which simultaneously added some modern liturgical innovations including the use of gender-neutral language.

These liturgical innovations, especially the use of gender-neutral language and the abbreviation of certain liturgical texts and services, will no doubt have a detrimental effect upon the Ruthenian Church, which has already suffered a loss of membership over the last forty years, with many of its members either becoming Roman Catholic or joining one of the many Eastern Orthodox jurisdictions in the United States.

Nevertheless, the Eastern Catholic Churches in general remain a bastion of liturgical sensibility when compared to what is going on liturgically in the Roman Catholic Church in America.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1522551' date='May 8 2008, 05:09 PM']Our Catholic culture subsists in a largly protestant nation who doesn't give a fig about religous feasts.[/quote]
Right, and the Protestant "work ethic" culture has led to the worship of the Almighty Dollar, which in turn doesn't give a fig about feast days.