An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Think Of The Ascension Feast Being Moved To Sunday?

White Knight

LouisvilleFan

So, it was moved to Sunday? I wouldn't have known the difference. Guess that's why the priest where I went to Mass today spent a good five minutes talking about how many holiday and birthday celebrations are moved to the weekend in order to celebrate them more appropriately. He concluded that part by telling everyone they should be thankful that the Church moved the Feast so that the faithful can participate by worshiping at Mass.

Whatever.

I got a better question: What do you think of homilies that waste time on material unrelated to the Scripture readings?

Because that's a far more serious problem than moving Feast days.

+J.M.J.+
i think it's stupid, and endemic (sp?) of how stupid and lazy our American culture can be.

LouisvilleFan

Why can't we simply celebrate the Ascension, whatever day the Church chooses for it? This day should be a cause for joy and hope.

This is a feast pivotal to our beliefs. Why should we need to break out daily routine? Seeing as it is a holy day of Jesus' we move it. Now if this were Mary's holy day it is a holy day of obligation, that we would need to actually go to church for.

Can you tell I am not exactly a fan of the move?

I do not think that the American Catholic Church believes that we can make an extra Mass.

Ok, so Ascension Thursday was moved...why not move all the other holidays? Oh, and if Christmas falls on a day other than Sunday then you better move it too.

I want it back to Thursday but my bishop decided to move it.

premed_jakey

I dont favor the decision from the American church. however, I guess we just have to trust the wisdom(?) and decision of our leaders.

[quote name='picchick' post='1519067' date='May 5 2008, 12:47 AM']I do not think that the American Catholic Church believes that we can make an extra Mass.
Ok, so Ascension Thursday was moved...why not move all the other holidays? Oh, and if Christmas falls on a day other than Sunday then you better move it too.

I want it back to Thursday but my bishop decided to move it.[/quote]

If you have low expectations you don't have to wonder if people will rise to them. They won't.

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1519081' date='May 5 2008, 01:07 AM']If you have low expectations you don't have to wonder if people will rise to them. They won't.[/quote]

Right, and if you do not challenge people how are they suppose to grow in their faith?

goldenchild17

[quote name='White Knight' post='1518774' date='May 4 2008, 07:42 PM']State your opinion.[/quote]

We got to go to mass on Thursday which is pretty sweet since we don't usually get a priest here outside of Sundays and Holy Days of obligation.

the 13th papist

in some european countries it was still on thursday, but in sweden, where i am currently, it was moved to sunday. so i got a travelers dispensation because i couldnt go in austria, but then i got to go on sunday. guess we can all move to europe.

Archaeology cat

It was moved here, though I'd rather it hadn't been. I prefer to go to Mass on that day. I mean, I did go to a daily Mass on Thursday, but of course it wasn't the Feast of the Ascension being celebrated.

Being military daily Mass isn't really offered to me any time during the week. I get where everyone else is coming from, but not all of us can make it during the week.

Edited by Justin86

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Justin86' post='1519238' date='May 5 2008, 08:59 AM']Being military daily Mass isn't really offered to me any time during the week. I get where everyone else is coming from, but not all of us can make it during the week.[/quote]
I think its an excellent idea, so more people can attend.

scardella

Generally, I think that I'd rather it be on the day of, but this ONE particular time, I was glad it was moved.