An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Be Alarmed If Someone Ordered A Hundred Dollar Bible?

JesusIsMySuperHero

I would NOT be alarmed at a $100 bible.

I almost bought a secular book this evening 1/100 the size of the bible for $25.

I bought a book about computer programming for my son for I think around $80.

Yes, you can get cheaper bibles, but so what if you want a nice one?

I love the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and some day I would like to own one of those fancy sets that cost a lot. It would make reading it more special.

CatherineM

I'm an avid proponent of voluntary simplicity. I try to live the saying to live simply so that others may simply live. However, when I do purchase something, I make sure it is of quality, and will last, and most of the time you do get what you pay for.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='Raphael' post='1517709' date='May 3 2008, 08:38 PM']By the way, why a KJV? I'm just wondering if you're Catholic because the religion section of your profile says "none," and Catholics don't read the KJV.

(to anyone who tries to hijack this into a thread about the evils of the KJV, don't bother or your post will be deleted)[/quote]

I'm not Catholic. . .

I'm what you would probably call the Uber-protestant! LOL! I don't have a 'religion', don't go to a building people call the church, and I am throughly dedicated to only allow the holy spirit teach me the ways I go.

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1517752' date='May 3 2008, 10:04 PM']I'm not Catholic. . .

I'm what you would probably call the Uber-protestant! LOL! I don't have a 'religion', don't go to a building people call the church, and [b]I am throughly dedicated to only allow the holy spirit teach me the ways I go.[/b][/quote]
Preach it! =)

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='Odysseus' post='1517739' date='May 3 2008, 08:54 PM']I would NOT be alarmed at a $100 bible.

I almost bought a secular book this evening 1/100 the size of the bible for $25.

I bought a book about computer programming for my son for I think around $80.

Yes, you can get cheaper bibles, but so what if you want a nice one?

I love the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and some day I would like to own one of those fancy sets that cost a lot. It would make reading it more special.[/quote]

Exactly.

If you really are passionate about a person, like Jesus, you want to show him. Paying extra for a bible to show I want to get to know him better, that's my choice.

God wants us to be good stewards, so if I pay extra for a bible because I can pay for it, than that's what I am going to do.

Edited by JesusIsMySuperHero

Are you suggesting that purchasing an expensive Bible someone proves that you love Christ more than someone who doesn't [purchase an expensive Bible]? That's what I'm reading so please correct me if I'm wrong. If you want to buy one, have at it [not my money, not my concern], but I don't think that giving more money to a more-than-likely secular publishing company is really showing Christ how much you care.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='Altari' post='1517775' date='May 3 2008, 09:31 PM']Are you suggesting that purchasing an expensive Bible someone proves that you love Christ more than someone who doesn't [purchase an expensive Bible]? That's what I'm reading so please correct me if I'm wrong. If you want to buy one, have at it [not my money, not my concern], but I don't think that giving more money to a more-than-likely secular publishing company is really showing Christ how much you care.[/quote]
Actually, no.

Because Jesus said - if you see a woman who has two cents and gives it as a sacrifice, than she has given more than someone who gives out of his abundance.

However, if you have hundreds of dollars in checking, and even more in savings, and you get yourself a ten dollar bible. . .

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1517783' date='May 3 2008, 10:40 PM']Actually, no.

Because Jesus said - if you see a woman who has two cents and gives it as a sacrifice, than she has given more than someone who gives out of his abundance.

However, if you have hundreds of dollars in checking, and even more in savings, and you get yourself a ten dollar bible. . .[/quote]
Except when purchasing a Bible you aren't "giving" to anyone but a corporation. Wouldn't it be better to buy the $10 Bible and give the other $90 to your neighbor, local food bank, etc (if we're basing the purchase on ideological reasons), than to give $100 to a corporation who isn't suffering from a need?

There's nothing wrong with buying a $100 Bible because you just want it. I wouldn't do it, and, yes, I would be a bit shocked if I saw someone doing it (I'm also shocked at $1,000 diamonds and $50,000 cars), but that doesn't mean it's my business.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='Altari' post='1517809' date='May 3 2008, 09:53 PM']Except when purchasing a Bible you aren't "giving" to anyone but a corporation. Wouldn't it be better to buy the $10 Bible and give the other $90 to your neighbor, local food bank, etc (if we're basing the purchase on ideological reasons), than to give $100 to a corporation who isn't suffering from a need?

There's nothing wrong with buying a $100 Bible because you just want it. I wouldn't do it, and, yes, I would be a bit shocked if I saw someone doing it (I'm also shocked at $1,000 diamonds and $50,000 cars), but that doesn't mean it's my business.[/quote]

The kind way I felt when she said, its over a hundred dollars was that she was surprised someone would do that. . .

I don't know, maybe she was shocked it cost that much?

My impression was the former, rather than the latter.

Edited by JesusIsMySuperHero

[color="#0000FF"]Then, six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus was who had been dead, whom He had raised from the dead. There they made Him a supper; and Martha served, but Lazarus was one of those who sat at the table with Him. Then Mary took a pound of [b]very costly[/b] oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.

But one of His disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, who would betray Him, said, [b]“Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?”[/b] This he said, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief, and had the money box; and he used to take what was put in it.

But Jesus said, “Let her alone; she has kept this for the day of My burial. [b]For the poor you have with you always, but Me you do not have always.[/b]”[/color]
John 12: 1-8

There is absolutely nothing wrong with building lavish Churches for the Glory of God. People so often reserve the best things for themselves, the nicest house, clothing, cars, and furniture and then expect the Church to be a run down tent. The reality is the opposite, there is no end to spending for the sake of God because it reflects, though imperfectly, His Glory. In the Old Testament God commanded only the most precious items to be used for the Tabernacle, the Tent, and the Priestly Vestments, and when Solomon's Temple was build He also commanded expensive materials to be used. I'd say the reasoning ought to apply to Scripture as well.

Edited by mortify

Wow. Way to use some of the most moving words of Christ out of context. He was about to be executed. Unless I missed something, we, since the Resurrection, DO always have him. Your reasoning still does not explain the adornments and luxurious living of the Catholic officials.

With all due respect, I have yet to see a Protestant adopt a life of poverty as our Lord did, and as many religious monks and nuns do in order to live a life closer to the Gospel. Since you reserve the cheapest for God, I wonder what you reserve for yourself?

As for the Scripture, it stands clear. Many people, not just Protestants but even Catholics, behave like Judas Iscariot. They criticize spending for the Lord's sake and they say its better to spend for the poor. The reality is, if we love God and revere Him, we will be *compelled* to make the most beautiful things for Him. It's only natural that the Monks spent decades making one beautiful manuscript that contained the inspired word of God. And as I said, God Himself commanded only the most precious materials to be used for the Tabernacle, the Temple, Priestly vestments, and all other things associated to worshiping Him.

Here's an actual example from Exodus 37: 1-9:

[color="#0000FF"]Bezalel made the ark of acacia wood—two and a half cubits long, a cubit and a half wide, and a cubit and a half high. He overlaid it with [size=3][b]PURE GOLD[/b][/size], both inside and out, and made a [b]gold molding[/b] around it. He cast [b]four gold rings[/b] for it and fastened them to its four feet, with two rings on one side and two rings on the other. Then he made [b]poles of acacia wood and overlaid them with gold[/b]. And he inserted the poles into the rings on the sides of the ark to carry it.

He made the atonement cover of [b]pure gold[/b]—two and a half cubits long and a cubit and a half wide. Then he made [size=3][b]two cherubim out of hammered gold[/b][/size] at the ends of the cover. He made one cherub on one end and the second cherub on the other; at the two ends he made them of one piece with the cover. The cherubim had their wings spread upward, overshadowing the cover with them. The cherubim faced each other, looking toward the cover. [/color]

This is what God commanded be done, 'nuff said.

Edited by mortify

I went on Altari's MySpace which is linked from her profile. I don't bring this out to mock her but it's ridiculous to scoff at making a nice church or purchasing a beautiful bible when she spends extraordinary amounts of time and money on her own personal beauty (and tea but that's another story.) Please do take the log out of your own eye.

I don't see a copyright so for your convenience I'm copying and pasting her post. This is what she wrote on April 22, 2008, and can be found here: [url="http://altari.us/?p=163"][u][b]Altari.us[/b][/u][/url]:

[mod]copyrighted material (see bottom right-hand corner of said website) -777[/mod]

Edited by Seven77

[quote name='mortify' post='1517925' date='May 4 2008, 12:15 AM']I went on Altari's MySpace which is linked from her profile. I don't bring this out to mock her but it's ridiculous to [b]scoff at making a nice church or purchasing a beautiful bible[/b] when she spends extraordinary amounts of time and money on her own personal beauty (and tea but that's another story.) Please do take the log out of your own eye.[/quote]
I'm not scoffing at a nice church or a beautiful bible. I'm scoffing at your Holy Pope who walks around dripping with jewels and adornments. I do apologize for spending money on myself for a special occasion. Perhaps if you knew me and how I live you wouldn't make these statements. I, however, do not live the life of luxury I am able to because I spend much of my money on helping those that I can. Perhaps your Pope and your Bishops should do the same. If my pastors had lived the way I have seen priests live, I would leave the church, as many Chicago protestants are hoping will happen to Reverend Wright.

And it's not my MySpace you ignorant fool.

[quote name='mortify' post='1517925' date='May 4 2008, 12:15 AM']I went on Altari's MySpace which is linked from her profile. I don't bring this out to mock her but it's ridiculous to scoff at making a nice church or purchasing a beautiful bible when she spends extraordinary amounts of time and money on her own personal beauty (and tea but that's another story.) Please do take the log out of your own eye.

I don't see a copyright so for your convenience I'm copying and pasting her post. This is what she wrote on April 22, 2008, and can be found here: [url="http://altari.us/?p=163"][u][b]Altari.us[/b][/u][/url]:

[mod]copyrighted material (see bottom right-hand corner of said website) -777[/mod][/quote]

You have every right to respectfully disagree with my friend Altari, but to take personal information from another site and post it here as an "argument" is way out of line.

I totally disagree with her about her criticisms of the Church, but this is an unfair and is a personal attack.

You attacked HER personally and not her ideas.