An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Be Alarmed If Someone Ordered A Hundred Dollar Bible?

JesusIsMySuperHero

JesusIsMySuperHero

Hi guys,

I just ordered my new Thompson Chain Reference King James Version of the Bible. When I ordered, when the older lady got the price of the bible, she said in a very alarmed tone, it's $1xx.xx, I forget the exact price, but it was over a hundred.

I looked at her and said, that's okay. . .

When did Christianity turn from passion for God and his Son, and became so lack luster. I guess we are in the church of Phildelphia, the one where Jesus says is so materially blessed, and we are, but are so luke warm he wants to spew us out, because I wouldn't think twice paying a thousand dollars for a bible, if the one I wanted cost that much.

Do you think we are experiencing the church of Laodiceans?

[quote]Revelation 3:14-20

And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.[/quote]

How can we live in a society that is so materially blessed, and then be alarmed at someone buying a bible that costs over a hundred dollars? What kind of luke warm Christianity are we 'enjoying' right now?

Ever wonder why there are so many questions, like is this okay, or that is okay, because that is the church age we live in right now.

KnightofChrist

I remember the first time I notice that some bibles have copyrights. I was shocked, how could the bible of all things be copyrighted? But after it was explained it keeps persons that may want to insult the bible.

Galloglasses

Gideons give their modern day english Bibles away free.

I still have a new testament and Pslams Bible. (Little read book ftw)

Thy Geekdom Come

I paid $150 for my Latin Vulgate (for those who are wondering why I'd pay that much...it was a Clementine Vulgate).

Anyway...a lot of non-Catholics have issues with the Catholic Church's tendency to spend large amounts of money on churches and other things, gold chalices and such, but then drive around in Mercedes and stuff. It does make one wonder. I find it funny that a KJV was that expensive, given that the Catholic Church is the one always accused of making the Bible hard to get your hands on (and our Bibles are usually $15 or less...I can get NABs for $2.99 bulk rate).

As for the question about the Church of Laodicea, I think the verse is more referring to a lack of rich spirituality, which is tied to rich adornment of churches, but I would venture to guess that Jesus' meaning is more spiritual...as in, instead of boasting material wealth, they should be storing up treasure in heaven.

JesusIsMySuperHero

Both are good examples.

But, then, the Gideons, that shows their passion, that they would print up something that costs them millions, and give it away for free.

Why then, is it so alarming for the opposite to be true, someone willing to pay over a hundred for their own? Or how about, the fact I spent forty dollars last year on a bible, so I could spend another thirty dollars to send a bible to a friend who just converted in Japan?

Why are such things so uncommon in the Christian world now? Why are so many people concerned about how much something costs, including a bible, than the fact they are laying up treasures in heaven?

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='Raphael' post='1517582' date='May 3 2008, 07:44 PM']I paid $150 for my Latin Vulgate (for those who are wondering why I'd pay that much...it was a Clementine Vulgate).

Anyway...a lot of non-Catholics have issues with the Catholic Church's tendency to spend large amounts of money on churches and other things, gold chalices and such, but then drive around in Mercedes and stuff. It does make one wonder. I find it funny that a KJV was that expensive, given that the Catholic Church is the one always accused of making the Bible hard to get your hands on (and our Bibles are usually $15 or less...I can get NABs for $2.99 bulk rate).[/quote]

Its because it is a Thompson chain. It's genuine leather first of all. Second, the work that goes into a Thompson Chain reference. They way it works is each scripture will have a topic attached to it, like grace being 1040, for instance. Then if you go to topic 1040 in the index, you will get all scriptures and commentaries about grace. . . That takes a lot of work so it is more expensive than a non-commentary bible. So the price tag tends to go up.

You can get most KJVs for about 10 dollars. The first one I bought from my church was 10 dollars.

CatherineM

That woman probably wouldn't have batted an eye if you were paying several hundred dollars for an xbox or a wii.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1517603' date='May 3 2008, 07:58 PM']That woman probably wouldn't have batted an eye if you were paying several hundred dollars for an xbox or a wii.[/quote]
That's exactly what I kinda felt, and why I said, that's okay. Like where did David's spirit go?

[quote]And the king said unto Araunah, Nay; but I will surely buy it of thee at a price: neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing. So David bought the threshingfloor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver. 2 Samuel 24:24[/quote]

And that was a woman working at a Christian book and music store!

KnightofChrist

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1517610' date='May 3 2008, 08:02 PM']That's exactly what I kinda felt, and why I said, that's okay. Like where did David's spirit go?
And that was a woman working at a Christian book and music store![/quote]

I've been in non-catholic christian book stores... their always pricey!

Galloglasses

Actually I would be alarmed if I had a tight wallet and was effectively Bible-less.

CatherineM

My bible is 33 years old, and held together with strapping tape. I've been thinking about getting a new one, maybe a large print one, for awhile. I have trouble thinking about using another one though.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1517582' date='May 3 2008, 08:44 PM']Anyway...a lot of non-Catholics have issues with the Catholic Church's tendency to spend large amounts of money on churches and other things, gold chalices and such, but then drive around in Mercedes and stuff. It does make one wonder.[/quote]
As a Protestant, I find this comment insulting. Highly insulting. The Catholic Church is an organization that claims to walk in the steps of Christ, but invests money in the most frivolous worldly goods (a direct violation of Christ's teachings). I will agree that this is a "remove the log from your own eye" situation, but it does make one, especially Protestants who are told continually that our churches are "false" or "led astray", wonder about the Catholic Church's commitment to the teachings of our Savior.

Anyway, as far as the Bible, I wouldn't pay that much for a Bible, and I would be a bit shocked if someone else did. It's your money, so it's none of my business though. It's mostly a refusal to line someone else's pockets by purchasing an overpriced edition of God's word. I don't feel this is a "sign of the Times"; quite the opposite : it's just a moral outrage over the further commercialization of Christianity.

CatherineM

Commercialization of Christianity. I don't think the Catholic Church has a monopoly on that. I think there are enough logs to go around, so watch where you tread. I found what you said to also be insulting.

Thy Geekdom Come

By the way, why a KJV? I'm just wondering if you're Catholic because the religion section of your profile says "none," and Catholics don't read the KJV.

(to anyone who tries to hijack this into a thread about the evils of the KJV, don't bother or your post will be deleted)

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1517708' date='May 3 2008, 09:37 PM']Commercialization of Christianity. I don't think the Catholic Church has a monopoly on that. I think there are enough logs to go around, so watch where you tread. I found what you said to also be insulting.[/quote]
I'm sorry if that offended you. I feel that nearly all sects of Christianity commercialize now. Look at Robertson, Creepy-Blue-Eyed-Guy (I can't remember his name). Protestants have McChurches. I will definitely not point the finger at the Catholic Church for commercializing Christianity, because that would be intentionally dishonest. I am a strong proponent of home-based churches and "minimalistic" Christianity.

Edited by Altari