An Old School Catholic Message Board

Indifference

Guest The3rdbaseman36

[quote]I used to tell my boys that not making a decision is making a decision -- to say no, or to refrain from doing something. Whenever I think of indifference, I think of Mother Theresa seeing the man dying on the train station platform, and everyone was walking by like he wasn't there. In the movie, when she goes to help him, all the people disappear from around her. It was if her focus on the dying man made their indifference invisible. After he passes, she can see everyone again.[/quote]

I agree with you here...my indifference is more of neutral. In the case that you mention there is no such thing as a grey area.

But in regards to lesser decisions where you really don't care either way: Do you want red shoes or blue shoes? Do you want pink frosting or purple frosting? Those you can remain neutral without it being good or bad.

When it comes to shoes, when in doubt, buy both. Seriously, the only person you hurt with your indifference about shoes is yourself, so yeah, it's not good or bad. As large as my feet are, I don't care what color, as long as they fit.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='The3rdbaseman36' post='1514759' date='Apr 29 2008, 11:02 PM']Ok, so here's the deal. Me and a friend have been having a long discussion over the nature of evil. We eventually came to the conclusion that evil cannot exist without good. However, we came to problem, and that is indifference. Neither of us could find the good in indifference, no matter how hard or creatively we thought. We both agree that there must be some good in it, but we just don't see it. I was hoping that someone else out there would know, or have an idea, or something that woulld be able to help us. Thanks a lot.[/quote]

Humanity are passionate creatures.

True indifference would almost be sociopathic, as a Sociopath wouldn't think Mom, but mom.

I had a guy in training who knew all about the income tax fraud and the way the economics works, and he said "You can see what's coming, why do anything and just go with it and enjoy yourself,"

I almost wanted to punch him the the mouth for saying that, but I decided that it wouldn't be the best thing to do because I need a job. . .

Indifference to evil when it is happening just sickens me. I can't believe people actually accept some things that are happening right now!