An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nostradamus

rizz_loves_jesus

rizz_loves_jesus

So I've been watching the History Channel for a while now, and today their person of interest is Nostradamus.

He seems to have predicted a lot of people and events, like Napoleon, Hitler, Sept. 11, etc. The only thing that seems like bogus is his prediction of when and when the end of the world will be.

Do you guys believe that Nostradamus truly predicted some world events like WWII? Somewhere I heard that he was attracted to the occult, so do you think if his predictions were true, they were inspired by Satan?

Edited by rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1512755' date='Apr 28 2008, 04:23 PM']So I've been watching the History Channel for a while now, and today their person of interest is Nostradamus.

He seems to have predicted a lot of people and events, like Napoleon, Hitler, Sept. 11, etc. The only thing that seems like bogus is his prediction of when and when the end of the world will be.

Do you guys believe that Nostradamus truly predicted some world events like WWII? Somewhere I heard that he was attracted to the occult, so do you think if his predictions were true, they were inspired by Satan?[/quote]
He was actually a Catholic (a convert from Judaism) and it isnt clear how he came up with his predictions. His langurage is cryptic to say the least, so many people misintrepret him.

Basically, I think there is some truth too some of his predictions, but he certainly isnt right about everything.

I think that there is so truth to what he says, however, as a good friend told me, we should not live life by prophesies. It is a bad habit.

rizz_loves_jesus

Well I found this thread while searching for opinions:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=7168&hl=nostradamus"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...;hl=nostradamus[/url]

Galloglasses

For your own sake. DO NOT TRUST HISTORY CHANNEL DOCUMENTARIES.

Believe me when I say they skew things. BIG TIME. Their documentary on the Crusades: The Cresent and the Cross, was more of a drama then any historical fact and more entertaining then educational. The Nostradamus docs I've watched all do likewise.

I'll post more on the subject later, have to go to bed now.

I find some of the stuff attributed to him to be interesting. I just remind myself that it is like watching the Di Vinci Code you have to be careful to protect yourself from believing anything against church teachings, and enjoy it for the intellectual stimulation and entertainment value only.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1513158' date='Apr 28 2008, 08:31 PM']All of his predictions are so vague you could apply them to anything :rolleyes:[/quote]
I dont completely agree with that, but yes in general he is cryptic.

Astrologers tend to be cryptic so they can take in as many as possible. Standard operating procedure. :rain:

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1512928' date='Apr 28 2008, 05:29 PM']For your own sake. DO NOT TRUST HISTORY CHANNEL DOCUMENTARIES.

Believe me when I say they skew things. BIG TIME. Their documentary on the Crusades: The Cresent and the Cross, was more of a drama then any historical fact and more entertaining then educational. The Nostradamus docs I've watched all do likewise.

I'll post more on the subject later, have to go to bed now.[/quote]
Agreed. Nostradamus' predictions were so vague as to be able to be applied to anything, and some of his writings have been tampered with by those looking to capitalize on his fame and prey on the gullible.

And looking to Nostradamus and other astrologers to see into the future is a practice clearly condemned by the Church.
At best, studying Nostradamus is a huge waste of time.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1512755' date='Apr 28 2008, 03:23 PM']So I've been watching the History Channel for a while now, and today their person of interest is Nostradamus.

Do you guys believe that Nostradamus truly predicted some world events like WWII? Somewhere I heard that he was attracted to the occult, so do you think if his predictions were true, they were inspired by Satan?[/quote]

Totally inspired by Lucifier, the light bringer!

Lucifer still lives in the heavens, and can roam around as he pleases. He hasn't been binded to the earth just yet. So he can see the past, present, and future. He can give people impressions of what will happen because he knows.

Satan will be one of the last angles to be thrown into the bottomless pit, death and hell right after him. If you shake your head about death and hell, yes I believe they are also fallen angels, and frankly, I think they are more powerful than Lucifer is, as they are the last two principalities to be thrown into the burning lake.

The Bottomless Pit, Burning Lake and others are God's judgment. Death and Hell is just a fallen angels. That is why there are people who can have an agreement with Hell and Death, because Death and Hell is a person.

[quote]Isaiah 28:14-19

Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.

Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:

Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.

And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.

From the time that it goeth forth it shall take you: for morning by morning shall it pass over, by day and by night: and it shall be a vexation only to understand the report.[/quote]

But I am a little off topic.

Nostradamus isn't a prophet.

God says anybody who is considered a prophet who gets one thing wrong should be stoned. If one of the Prophecies of Nostradamus was incorrect, then - he's a false prophet God would have us stoned.

Don't let the big fancy lights dazzle you. There are plenty of false prophets out there that God wouldn't have us stone, but it wouldn't be considered legal right now. . .

Edited by JesusIsMySuperHero

I remember someone saying that he was cryptic because it was during the inquisition, and he didn't want to be burned at the stake or something. Being cryptic also allows those who believe in such things to read anything they want into it. You can get the same thing from a fortune cookie or horoscope out of the newspaper.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='Socrates' post='1514649' date='Apr 29 2008, 10:21 PM']Agreed. Nostradamus' predictions were so vague as to be able to be applied to anything, and some of his writings have been tampered with by those looking to capitalize on his fame and prey on the gullible.

And looking to Nostradamus and other astrologers to see into the future is a practice clearly condemned by the Church.
At best, studying Nostradamus is a huge waste of time.[/quote]

But didn't some saints predict the future though? I guess they didn't look to the stars, but I'm not sure if Nostradamus did either.

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1514996' date='Apr 30 2008, 09:45 AM']But didn't some saints predict the future though? I guess they didn't look to the stars, but I'm not sure if Nostradamus did either.[/quote]
Some saints received private revelations, but even these we are not required to believe in. Nostradamus was not a saint. Divination is clearly condemned in the catechism.