An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Dark Future Of D N A Testing

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/19/AR2008041902225.html?sid=ST2008042100610"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ST2008042100610[/url]

It's wrong to ask 12 average citizens to interpret data that 80% of medical doctors & scientists don't understand.

What people don't understand is that a person's heart, soul and mind are not in genes. A person can make a decision and the make a different decision at a later time. This is not encoded in our genes. A person who has committed a crime may or may not commit the crime again. We won't know based off of their genes unless they have a mental illness that may inhibit their impulses.

I feel that people rely too much on science. They hear DNA test and BOOM they believe it. This is scary to me because I am afraid that people might further this into genes for marriage, genes for jobs....what then?

BTW way, I have a great pair of genes :P

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='picchick' post='1511355' date='Apr 27 2008, 09:10 AM']BTW way, I have a great pair of genes :P[/quote]

LOL!

You're pretty funny there Meg.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1511151' date='Apr 26 2008, 11:27 PM']It's wrong to ask 12 average citizens to interpret data that 80% of medical doctors & scientists don't understand.[/quote]

What if 9 out of the 12 people in that poll were filled with the Holy Spirit. What God has touched, you call common?

It is still wrong...it is not good data. I think what Tgold is saying is that it is unfair and biased to ask regular people regardless of whether they were touched by the spirit to interpret data and then make it worldwide.

It is like informed consent. Can you consent to something you don't know what it is or that you have an unclear idea in you mind? No, it would be wrong on the doctor's part.

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1515617' date='Apr 30 2008, 10:06 PM']What if 9 out of the 12 people in that poll were filled with the Holy Spirit. What God has touched, you call common?[/quote]

God will produce goodness even from what is wrong, that is part of His divine nature.

The methods behind His providence shall remain a matter of eternal mystery.

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1515617' date='Apr 30 2008, 10:06 PM']What if 9 out of the 12 people in that poll were filled with the Holy Spirit. What God has touched, you call common?[/quote]

She called them average, not common. And she was referring to average intelligence, not spiritual nature. My goodness, you are really into the spirit of debating whenever you can on the debate board, aren't you?

Edited by prose

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1515617' date='Apr 30 2008, 10:06 PM'][quote name='tgoldson' date='Apr 26 2008, 11:27 PM'] [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?act=findpost&pid=1511151"][img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/style_images/ip.boardpr/post_snapback.gif[/img][/url]It's wrong to ask 12 average citizens to interpret data that 80% of medical doctors & scientists don't understand.[/quote]What if 9 out of the 12 people in that poll were filled with the Holy Spirit. What God has touched, you call common?[/quote]
Don't put words in my mouth. If you don't understand me, just say so. I'd be happy to rephrase or attempt to explain my thoughts more clearly. You presented a new situation (What if...) and then presumed to answer for me. Do you really think that's a good communication style?

A jury consists of 12 average citizens. Based on the information in the article, I do not think that 12 everyday people would be capable of rendering correct judgments.

You then asked: What if 9 of them were filled with the Holy Spirit?

What part of my statement led you to think that I would call them common?

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1511151' date='Apr 26 2008, 11:27 PM']It's wrong to ask 12 average citizens to interpret data that 80% of medical doctors & scientists don't understand.[/quote]

Exactly, where did you read about 12 citizens being asked to interpret data?

I never read that once.

If you mean by the 12 people who probably commented on this when you read it. That's the nature of E-journalism.

On the other hand, I have to say that there is some merit to what they have to say. I believe that Sociopathic behaviour is genetic damage caused by the first sin.

However, what most of these journalists, Geneticists, and Eugenicists don't realize is that once the holy spirit is in the life of somebody, any of those tendencies will feel uncomfortable to the person involved in them, and they will repent of their murderous inclinations.

Trying to prove guilt through a person's genes is just plain wrong. And trying to prove someone couldn't have helped their behaviour because of their genetic code is totally carnally minded, and that will be the death of us all. Soon mass murderors will go free because their Genes made them do it, and there will probably be the same genetic marker in all of them.

Edited by JesusIsMySuperHero

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1516333' date='May 1 2008, 07:53 PM']What if 9 out of the 12 people in that poll were filled with the Holy Spirit. What God has touched, you call common?
Don't put words in my mouth. If you don't understand me, just say so. I'd be happy to rephrase or attempt to explain my thoughts more clearly. You presented a new situation (What if...) and then presumed to answer for me. Do you really think that's a good communication style?

A jury consists of 12 average citizens. Based on the information in the article, I do not think that 12 everyday people would be capable of rendering correct judgments.

You then asked: What if 9 of them were filled with the Holy Spirit?

What part of my statement led you to think that I would call them common?[/quote]

The idea of average for someone with the holy spirit, and access to the wisdom of God just blows me away. Someone with the holy spirit is considered chosen, and if God wanted to take someone who was uneducated, like he did with Peter, and give him the wisdom to answer any questions concerning that ungodly testing, than his answers would be far better than someone who understands the topic.

Remember this scripture,

[quote]Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.[/quote]

God can take unlearned men, and make people marvel. Why couldn't he use 9 out of 12 'average' people with the holy spirit, and make the entire human race marvel at their objections to DNA testing!

Edited by JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1516356' date='May 1 2008, 08:32 PM']Exactly, where did you read about 12 citizens being asked to interpret data?

I never read that once.[/quote]What do you think a jury does?

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1516359' date='May 1 2008, 08:38 PM']The idea of average for someone with the holy spirit, and access to the wisdom of God just blows me away. Someone with the holy spirit is considered chosen, and if God wanted to take someone who was uneducated, like he did with Peter, and give him the wisdom to answer any questions concerning that ungodly testing, than his answers would be far better than someone who understands the topic.

Remember this scripture,

God can take unlearned men, and make people marvel. Why couldn't he use 9 out of 12 'average' people with the holy spirit, and make the entire human race marvel at their objections to DNA testing![/quote]
Who said He couldn't?

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1516359' date='May 1 2008, 08:38 PM']Remember this scripture,
God can take unlearned men, and make people marvel. Why couldn't he use 9 out of 12 'average' people with the holy spirit, and make the entire human race marvel at their objections to DNA testing![/quote]

Its certainly possible. Its also possible God would reveal Himself and tell us all its wrong. Its also possible that there are 12 people moved by human weakness, or possibly satan, to not object to DNA testing. The possibilities with God are endless, and unknown.

OR

We could take what we know right now, and what God has given us right now, and do something about it right now. I know that God has put us in a position to write\elect representatives to stop DNA testing now; I know God has put many others in the world to do it also.

So why should I put my faith in a hope that God will do something later, rather than put my faith in what God has given me right now?

Its like saying, I'm not going to cook right now, even though God has given me the food right now, because when it comes time to eat, its possible loaves will multiply on my plate.