An Old School Catholic Message Board

High Speed Chases

Lil Red

Police, Criminals and High Speed Chases  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

i don't think that me conceding the premise that many would flee equates to me not being able to say what i did regarding the validity your conclusions regarding the validity of the question.
but i can see how "everything' could be interpreted differently as i did not specify your conclusions were only what's innane etc.

yes, we hope to catch them again. if it's busy, we shouldn't have police weaving in and out of traffic like in movies. that stuff doesn't always come out clean like it does in movies. if it's busy and weaving in and out etc, then it's only gonna end badly, if it's a situation where people cannot get out of the way.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1508282' date='Apr 24 2008, 12:47 PM']i don't think that me conceding the premise that many would flee equates to me not being able to say what i did regarding the validity your conclusions regarding the validity of the question.
but i can see how "everything' could be interpreted differently as i did not specify your conclusions were only what's innane etc.

yes, we hope to catch them again. if it's busy, we shouldn't have police weaving in and out of traffic like in movies. that stuff doesn't always come out clean like it does in movies. if it's busy and weaving in and out etc, then it's only gonna end badly, if it's a situation where people cannot get out of the way.[/quote]

I'm sorry. This debate is making my head hurt. I can't believe that people would suggest that police officers stop pursuing a suspect who is fleeing in a car. What if the suspect escapes and is never found? What if the suspect harmed one of your loved ones? Wouldn't you want the police to push the pedal to the metal to apprehend him/her?

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as rude...but I am simply without words to understand this premise....

[quote name='kujo' post='1508288' date='Apr 24 2008, 10:58 AM']I'm sorry. This debate is making my head hurt. I can't believe that people would suggest that police officers stop pursuing a suspect who is fleeing in a car. What if the suspect escapes and is never found? What if the suspect harmed one of your loved ones? Wouldn't you want the police to push the pedal to the metal to apprehend him/her?

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as rude...but I am simply without words to understand this premise....[/quote]

Its simple, what if the person was robbing a 7-11 and is leaving with $50. Yet this is the third strike offense, and will run from the law. Police is engaged in high speed chase, collision occurs and kills an innocent bystander. Wouldn't it have been better for the police simply to investigate the crime normally, even if it results in letting the criminal 'get away' with the crime, rather than engaging in a chase that kills another person?

Even if you up the crime, you may still have a problem. Say criminal murdered someone, chase ensues, course of chase kills innocent. Now we have the criminal, and 2 dead people. OR if the police let him go, and lets assume the police can't catch him 'law and order' style, we have 1 dead person and a criminal that escaped. Now of course there is a possibility that he could kill again...

But certainly there are times when the police should just back off.

Just to say, its difficult, and the police have to make a snap judgement on a serious matter. Its not black and white to me, and it really depends on what the police know at the time, risk involved, ect. I defer to the officer's judgment at the time; they are in the best position at the time to make the difficult decision.

You are all living in a fantasy world. This is a very black and white issue. If criminals know that all they have to do is drive really fast and the cops won't pursue, we will all be in for a serious increase in crime. That's all.

if it was a black and white issue, then why is there a debate about it?

i say its all up to the police and their judgement. we can all look at something and with the powers of distanced hindsight, critisize everything, but i bet that at the moment these police men made the right choice. there will always be people caught in the line of fire when it comes to upholding the law, whether its ran over by a speeding criminal or caught by a stray bullet in a shootout.
mourn them i say, but i don't think there is any need to change policy over it.

Malachi Crunch

I think moderation is the key, as has been hinted at in posts here. Chase the bad guys down, and if it gets hariy, back off and let a chopper (if possible) follow them until it's easier to chase them. Justice needs to be served, so DO chase them. I just think there are ways to do this without becoming too zealous. I think the CHiP'S have done a great job and pioneering tactics in allowing more flexibility and saftey but still catching the bad guy in the end.

[quote name='Malachi Crunch' post='1508503' date='Apr 24 2008, 01:52 PM']I think moderation is the key, as has been hinted at in posts here. Chase the bad guys down, and if it gets hariy, back off and let a chopper (if possible) follow them until it's easier to chase them. Justice needs to be served, so DO chase them. I just think there are ways to do this without becoming too zealous. I think the CHiP'S have done a great job and pioneering tactics in allowing more flexibility and saftey but still catching the bad guy in the end.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
what about towns/cities where the only chopper they have are hospital choppers?

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1508468' date='Apr 24 2008, 04:17 PM']if it was a black and white issue, then why is there a debate about it?[/quote]

Because this is a forum and some people will debate anything, regardless of how obvious the answer.

[quote name='Malachi Crunch' post='1508503' date='Apr 24 2008, 04:52 PM']Chase the bad guys down, and if it gets hariy, back off and let a chopper (if possible) follow them until it's easier to chase them.[/quote]

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1508534' date='Apr 24 2008, 05:18 PM']+J.M.J.+
what about towns/cities where the only chopper they have are hospital choppers?[/quote]

Exactly, Lil Red. Fantasy world, guys. The reality is that these cops have to chase these guys, even until they are able to come up with some road blocks or some other way to stop them.

Aside from the point of this debate: I think that it is wrong and disrespectful to say that any debate is in so many words ridiculous. On a personal note, I have been told this many times in my life. No question is a dumb one. And if you want to debate a question then it is fine. In my book there is no wasted time on a forum/thread if you decide to join it. If you think it is a waste of time then don't waste your time in answering. The "you" I am referring to is a general you.

Debate: Lil Red, what is your take on this topic?
I think that everyone here brings up good points and topics. The fact is that those being chased did something wrong. If not then the start of the chase is something wrong. So regardless they did something wrong. Does this mean they should not be chased? If not then does that mean that anyone being pulled over can start a police chase and then not get caught? Of course I am making a crude generalization.