An Old School Catholic Message Board

Handmaids Of Nazareth

Gemma

Looking for the Handmaids of Nazareth in Peoria, IL. Anyone have the latest on them?

Also, anyone from Steubie U. know about the HN group that used to be there?

TIA.

Blessings,
Gemma
[mod]We have been informed that the community no longer exists. Please pray for all who were part of the community. - Lil Red[/mod]

:smokey: Gemma,I looked at the Diocese of Peoria website,and they are no longer listed there.
Instead I found this address on the net.

I can assume they must have moved.

Do you have any info on the Notre Dame Sisters of Joyful Hope,as to where they may have moved to or if they disbanded?

How about the Handmaids of St.Mary the Mediatrix,who were or are in Albion,NJ?
[mod]We have been informed that the community no longer exists. Please pray for all who were part of the community. - Lil Red[/mod]

[quote name='HollyDolly' post='1506786' date='Apr 22 2008, 05:53 PM']:smokey: Gemma,I looked at the Diocese of Peoria website,and they are no longer listed there.
Instead I found this address on the net.

I can assume they must have moved.

Do you have any info on the Notre Dame Sisters of Joyful Hope,as to where they may have moved to or if they disbanded?

How about the Handmaids of St.Mary the Mediatrix,who were or are in Albion,NJ?[mod]We have been informed that the community no longer exists. Please pray for all who were part of the community. - Lil Red[/mod][/quote]

The Notre Dames were suppressed.

I hadn't heard about the HSMM of NJ.

The discerner looking for the HNs said they started in Steubie, moved to Pittsford, then moved to Peoria. I also have correspondence from one of the founding members of the HN who left, who was interested in one of our proposed charisms.

Blessings,
Gemma

I found the HSMMs on this page:

But the info is 8 years old, and I know that there have been changes.

Blessings,
Gemma

How did you find out the NDSJH were supressed? I have an address for the HSMM in Albion,so I think I'll write and see what happens. I may also try writing the Handmaids of Nazareth as well.

I also found a community called Association of the New Covenant at www.consecratedlife.org
Which has sisters as well as lay associates and priests.

The Handmaids of Nazareth were founded by M. Yvonne of Pittsford, NY in the Peoria Diocese.
They were then only one group. A year or two ago they were disbanded in the Peoria Diocese.
Those who remained w/the Peoria Diocese were supposed to be re-grouping under another
name; I cannot locate them. A splinter group moved to Steubenville (name ?). M. Yvonne
continues in Pittsford, NY w/another splinter group. Not sure the last two groups are under
any diocese.... I am looking for the group that continues in the Peoria Diocese. I do not
know their new name....

Domine ut Videam

i'm from peoria and those sisters aren't in the diocese.

You should put the Contemplative Sisters of St.John though on your website. they are awesome!

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='1507469' date='Apr 23 2008, 01:33 PM']i'm from peoria and those sisters aren't in the diocese.

You should put the Contemplative Sisters of St.John though on your website. they are awesome![/quote]

Do the contemplatives have their own website? The only one I've seen is for the active sisters.

Blessings,
Gemma

Domine ut Videam

The Contemplative Sisters

The Community of the Sisters of Saint John, established as a religious Institute of Diocesan Right by the Archbishop of Lyon on March 25, 1994, was founded by Father Marie-Dominique Philippe on December 8, 1982, seven years after the Brothers of Saint-John, in view of a contemplative life.

you have to go to www.stjean.com and click on community, then the arrow at the bottom of the page. The link doesn't work, but also if you click on contacts it will tell you where they are located throughout the world with addresses to convents.

[quote name='HolyHearts' post='1507406' date='Apr 23 2008, 11:29 AM']The Handmaids of Nazareth were founded by M. Yvonne of Pittsford, NY in the Peoria Diocese.
They were then only one group. A year or two ago they were disbanded in the Peoria Diocese.
Those who remained w/the Peoria Diocese were supposed to be re-grouping under another
name; I cannot locate them. A splinter group moved to Steubenville (name ?). M. Yvonne
continues in Pittsford, NY w/another splinter group. Not sure the last two groups are under
any diocese.... I am looking for the group that continues in the Peoria Diocese. I do not
know their new name....[/quote]

Sister Servants of the Holy Family in Steubenville, OH. I just found the discerner's email.

Blessings,
Gemma

Sister Rose Therese

I know some of the Sisters from the Handmaids of Nazareth who are working on forming a new community. They are still in the diocese; Sister Maria Michael is principal at the catholic grade school in Odell. It took me a while to find their website. They may not be listed as a religious community in the diocese because they are still considered an association of the faithful.
This is their web address: [url="http://www.fsmcharism.net/home.html"]http://www.fsmcharism.net/home.html[/url]

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1507581' date='Apr 23 2008, 02:26 PM']I know some of the Sisters from the Handmaids of Nazareth who are working on forming a new community. They are still in the diocese; Sister Maria Michael is principal at the catholic grade school in Odell. It took me a while to find their website. They may not be listed as a religious community in the diocese because they are still considered an association of the faithful.
This is their web address: [url="http://www.fsmcharism.net/home.html"]http://www.fsmcharism.net/home.html[/url][/quote]
Never heard of them. Thanks for sharing!

Chiquitunga

I have a friend who was in the Handmaids of Nazareth, who is just wonderful! :) Her and another sister, whom I believe posted on VS in the thread about communities accepting women over 50, are founding a new community in the Archdiocese of Chicago, The Sisters of the Real Presence of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I saw a brochure on them just the other day actually. They look great!

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1508457' date='Apr 24 2008, 04:05 PM']I have a friend who was in the Handmaids of Nazareth, who is just wonderful! :) Her and another sister, whom I believe posted on VS in the thread about communities accepting women over 50, are founding a new community in the Archdiocese of Chicago, The Sisters of the Real Presence of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I saw a brochure on them just the other day actually. They look great![/quote]

So three new charisms grew out of the Handmaids of Nazareth--but are the HNs still there?

I have made the acquaintance of Sr. Kathleen Marie of the new Chicago-based charism.

Blessings,
Gemma